Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 10:11 PM   #1

LX Mirror lockup/Self timer lever removal help

Hi Guys

I'm not new to pentax repairs and reading service manuals

I am trying to remove the button (and the underlying MLU/ST lever) to change the leatherette on my LX (and dig into another issue)
I figure it screws off but there is not places to attach a tool and knowing the ME has a LH thread I don't want to screw the wrong way

I know there's guys out their that have changed over there leatherette (to real leather) so help with this simple thing pls

By the way the service manual is useless for this piece on info

I have gleaned so much useful info from you guys in the past, so many thanks

Ta
Ramps

07-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you just carefully pull the leather around it.
07-26-2022, 06:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I think you just carefully pull the leather around it.
Ah you're right. Under it is 4 screws holding the entire "lever and button unit" in.
I guess that means the timber veneer skin is out the door as I don't think I'll be able to sneak that in under the lever.
Many thanks
Ramps
07-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ramps Quote
Ah you're right. Under it is 4 screws holding the entire "lever and button unit" in.
I guess that means the timber veneer skin is out the door as I don't think I'll be able to sneak that in under the lever.
Many thanks
Ramps
If you use a wood species with strong horizontal grain, like zebrawood, you could drill the hole, cut out a small piece on the side with a knife, slide the veneer around the timer post then glue the small piece back in. The grain hides the glue joint and no one will notice.

07-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
We don't have Zebra's in Australia

Thanks Dave

Sorry I so laugh at the species that you guys think of as common in the northern hemispehere
I tend to use Jarrah (your turn to laugh) as it works quite well when cut with a el-cheapo CNC engraver/router.

good idea ... think I'll pursue it after all

Cheers
Ramps