Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #1

Autofocus disabled

Hi! I got a K-70 with an 18-135mm WR AF lens a few months ago. The lens had an alignment issue so I sent it in for repair. Well, a week after I got it back, autofocus has disabled itself. I’ve checked that the switch on the camera body itself is turned to AF & there’s no switch on the lens body for it. It ‘works’ in manual mode, but it slows the camera down (in a ‘lag’ sense) & the display menu is impossible to navigate (I have to hold a button down for a few seconds to get it to register an action on the display). This isn’t a camera body problem, as my 21mm lens works perfectly, autofocuses, & the camera isn’t slowed while that particular lens is attached. Is there anything I can do to avoid sending it in to be fixed again?

07-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do not know the solution to your problem.
I might suggest to clean the electrical contacts on the lens and camera?
I might also provide my experience: I've purchased my 18-135mm used for about $250 CAD and I would be cautious about sending the lens away for repair as sending it off might cost the same or more than buying a working one used.
07-25-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colbycbs Quote
Hi! I got a K-70 with an 18-135mm WR AF lens a few months ago. The lens had an alignment issue so I sent it in for repair. Well, a week after I got it back, autofocus has disabled itself. I’ve checked that the switch on the camera body itself is turned to AF & there’s no switch on the lens body for it. It ‘works’ in manual mode, but it slows the camera down (in a ‘lag’ sense) & the display menu is impossible to navigate (I have to hold a button down for a few seconds to get it to register an action on the display). This isn’t a camera body problem, as my 21mm lens works perfectly, autofocuses, & the camera isn’t slowed while that particular lens is attached. Is there anything I can do to avoid sending it in to be fixed again?
You may want to consult with the people that you sent it to for repair and ask if the AF was tested or if it was changed in any way. If you told them you did not have an issue with the AF prior to when you sent it to them, maybe they would offer to check it if they have any type of repair warranty in effect. I suppose they would either offer to check it for free or not, depending on their policy. If the AF operated prior to you sending it in to them, it could possibly be something that was done to it when the repair people had possession of it or possibly not.
07-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
You may want to consult with the people that you sent it to for repair and ask if the AF was tested or if it was changed in any way. If you told them you did not have an issue with the AF prior to when you sent it to them, maybe they would offer to check it if they have any type of repair warranty in effect. I suppose they would either offer to check it for free or not, depending on their policy. If the AF operated prior to you sending it in to them, it could possibly be something that was done to it when the repair people had possession of it or possibly not.
Fortunately I got the lens from MPB, so the lens has a default 6-month warranty, just looking to avoid the trouble of sending it in since it can take a few weeks. Good point as far as asking about AF, the first time I sent it in it appeared (to me & those I asked) to be an alignment issue, so I figure they ‘fixed’ the alignment while neither of us knew it was actually a problem with the AF mechanism.

07-25-2022, 09:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens motor may have died. That’s rare in the 18-135 but not completely unheard of. It might not be related to the repair but it is possible that the work contributed somehow.
07-25-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No matter what got damaged (I guess as well it is the DC-motor which sometimes makes problems... although it is rare) send it back, luckily you have the warranty.
The problem could be related to the previous repair but for you it doesn't matter really.
07-26-2022, 06:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Assuming that the 21mm is the DA 21, that lens uses a screw driven focusing system that has the camera provide the motive force for. It is possible, but seems unlikely, that the sdm/power zoom contacts in the mount of the camera are damaged. The way to test that is to look inside the mount for obvious damage to those contacts (and on the lens for the same) and if no obvious damage is seen, then test using another lens with an internal motor.

But since the lens is warranted, I’d send it for repair and assume it was the faulty component after a quick check off the condition on the sdm contacts.

07-26-2022, 01:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would agree that if you do have the warranty, and if the lens is covered for the six months that you mentioned, it may be a really good step to send it in and have the dealer check to see what the actual problem is, repair it, and test it for normal use. If they do, most likely they will test it for any type of malfunction and adjust it as needed. As you said, the AF function may have been faulty from the beginning.
08-22-2022, 07:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Assuming that the 21mm is the DA 21, that lens uses a screw driven focusing system that has the camera provide the motive force for. It is possible, but seems unlikely, that the sdm/power zoom contacts in the mount of the camera are damaged. The way to test that is to look inside the mount for obvious damage to those contacts (and on the lens for the same) and if no obvious damage is seen, then test using another lens with an internal motor.

But since the lens is warranted, I’d send it for repair and assume it was the faulty component after a quick check off the condition on the sdm contacts.
I think your assumption about the sdm/power zoom contacts being damaged is the problem. I sent the lens back & got another that effectively is new, camera still has the same problem. Looked online & couldn’t find a straight answer for where to look on the camera body to see if they’re damaged.
08-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think your assumption about the sdm/power zoom contacts being damaged is the problem. I sent the lens back & got another that effectively is new, camera still has the same problem. Looked online & couldn’t find a straight answer for where to look on the camera body to see if they’re damaged.
This should help:
Features and Operation of the KAF2 Mount | The K-Mount Page

If not, then post a photo of the camera mount without a lens mounted. Be sure to shine some light in.
08-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about any warranty on the camera?
08-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Send both together for repair.
08-23-2022, 03:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take the K70 to a Pentaxshop (or Pentax-user) and check it with another SDM or HSM lens.
It is rare that there wouldn't be anymore power from the SDM/HSM contacts. usually it is just dirt.
An earstick and clean alcohol might do the trick.
09-16-2022, 04:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

OP. Can you confirm you've checked and cleaned the power-zoom contacts? If you're not sure where they are, look into the camera from the front with no lens on and you'll see them just inside at the 5 o'clock position.
09-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
OP. Can you confirm you've checked and cleaned the power-zoom contacts? If you're not sure where they are, look into the camera from the front with no lens on and you'll see them just inside at the 5 o'clock position.
I used a microfiber cloth with a very small amount of isopropyl alcohol. Anything else I should try to clean it? Same goes for the other contacts. It should dry pretty quickly, no?