Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoseyD Quote
I'm vying toward my 43mm (as of this moment, for the daytime walk around lens)
The FA 43mm Ltd is another very good one as a walk-around prime lens. It provides true normal perspective for the front-to-back look of buildings, objects, background, etc. being what the eye sees in most scenes at normal distances. A very natural 3-D look. I would definitely take that one, and the FA 35mm f/2 as well, since they are both small lenses. The FA 35mm will let more into the frame without objects becoming too small, and the background too far away.

You might at some point consider the "kit" lens for the K-1 II, the DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6, which has fast, silent AF and WR construction to go with that of your camera. It is a wonderful performer in decent lighting, very versatile, great for travel and scenics. I already had some Pentax lenses in the same zoom range from my days of film shooting, but this one is rated as better, and I wanted the WR feature. I still use my old ones sometimes, but just when I want their power-zoom feature for moving subjects. A camera built with WR is not actively WR unless it has a WR lens mounted on it. I got my K-1 II with this lens factory pre-packaged as a "kit"- and its performance has made me very glad I went for the deal with this lens!! Very handy, useful, and boy does it deliver fine imaging! Very well-built, yet not very big or heavy, and reasonably priced for what it is.

If I were going on a trip to Iceland, I would definitely have this lens along perhaps as my main travel lens, plus a few good, fast prime lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-03-2022 at 01:19 PM.
08-03-2022, 04:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course.. so many of my k10d DA lenses are not really usable with the k1ii I may need to consider the k3 upgrade too, eventually. I really used to enjoy the DA21.
But for this moment the k1 ii is enough to keep me busy. And I have some old manual glass in that drawer to play with once I have explored the current new glass a bit more.

Talking new glass, the 15-30mm is a heavy beast! I don't know if one uses that as a carry lens... I'm happy to have it... but am hoping there's a smaller auto 15mm prime out there for full frame.
First - do you really need 15mm? that's rather wide.

Second - for your existing DA glass - just slide that K1 into crop mode. Your K10D wasn't as capable as the crop mode on the K1. You'll have basically a K-5iis on steroids. No reason not to lust after the K3iii but no need to immediately run get one just to shoot the older glass.

Finally - you mentioned a trip to Ireland. I've never been, but here's my advice from other trips. Take the lightest kit you can get shots you will enjoy without impairing the experience of being there. I've taken a DSLR to Paris with a two lens kit (K100D Super, 18-55, 50-200) and I've taken a small enthusiast camera to Paris (Panasonic LX7) and while the trips were different it was very helpful to have a do all 20-105 with good controls and the ability to take shots in challenging light. However the shots were never going to be in a gallery so the reduced size sensor was the compromise to find a way to enjoy the trip (with 5 other people and loads of responsibilities). If this is a low key trip with plenty of time to enjoy the photography - by all means take the K1 and the lenses of your dreams. If, on the other hand, this is a more complex situation with shared photography and non-photography goals and more limited time. Either pare down the goals and the gear - or suffer misery - not being able to satisfy either photographic or non-photographic goals. Last year I took an RX100iv, a Sony A7RIII, and a Pentax KP and many many lenses to Kentucky and Tennessee and ultimately used all of the gear but the RX100iv was the workhorse. I did get some shots I'm proud of for my collection using the larger gear but I don't think I'd have regretted not taking the larger gear. That's not always the case and clearly if northern lights are on the agenda it's hard to argue against taking the K1 - but you might limit yourself to a single wide fast lens and a zoom like the 28-105 or a normal'ish prime like the FA 43. You might then add a small camera like an LX10 or RX100 to cover the non-art photos - although you may find the little cameras can surprise you.
08-03-2022, 05:25 PM   #18

Original Poster
I already own the 28 -105 mm zoom. I took it out this past Saturday and was taking it off my list as a lens for iceland. It just didn't feel as responsive as my 43. I may consider the 100mm prime as another option though. At least that would allow a macro offering to the kit.

As for non photo type walking around, I will be able to resort to using my cell phone.
08-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I already own the 28 -105 mm zoom. I took it out this past Saturday and was taking it off my list as a lens for iceland. It just didn't feel as responsive as my 43. I may consider the 100mm prime as another option though. At least that would allow a macro offering to the kit.

As for non photo type walking around, I will be able to resort to using my cell phone.
Sounds good. I like taking a macro lens with me also. It's not a bad telephoto for portraits and landscapes either.
Maybe 3 lenses total then? Something wide, 43, 100?

08-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #20

Original Poster
Yes. I think that sounds like the perfect kit. In the next few weeks, I'll decide on whether to splurge on the rokinon or see if there's any other competition for a wide prime
08-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I think that sounds like the perfect kit. In the next few weeks, I'll decide on whether to splurge on the rokinon or see if there's any other competition for a wide prime
The advice I see is all over the map. F2.8 is about as slow as most recommend and 14mm is very wide. On some forums users have suggested that the 14mm may be too wide for most landscapes in Iceland where the landscapes features can be far from you. Those users suggested a longer telephoto zoom! Obviously your mileage may vary. As far as wide angle - 14 is very very wide, a fast 24 or 20mm may be able to get most shots including northern lights.

This site seems helpful also:
https://guidetoiceland.is/the-northern-lights/how-to-photograph-the-northern-lights

You might want to create a dedicated thread asking for Iceland photo advice.