Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found this technique after spending an amount of money on a set of ND filters. Not that I regret the expenditure, but I wish I’d discovered the interval feature sooner. Nice work.

08-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douggie M Quote
Thanks Clackers,
I’ll have to check this out when I get home.
Keep up with the tips, it’s hard to find out all the things a Pentax can do. I tend to get bleary eyed trying to read manuals.
Yeah, they're really concise references. I can recommend the purchasable PDFs of the late, great Yvon Bourque as a sort of learning book for each camera.

This site is preparing to add a K-3 III version to his legacy.
08-10-2022, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip. But as a beginner in this technique I would like to skip the potato from behind so Please let me know if I understood right this technique . I have to calculate the exposure time of the single shot by multiplying the speed of a well-exposed frame by the number of individual shots. and then in manual mode to set the single frame values ​​to achieve the desired exposure. Or am I wrong?
I suppose the camera is smarter than me and calculates the exposure independently. So I'll have to figure where to put that potato by myself🙃. I think it is a good idea to use the electronic shutter in those cases.

Last edited by Yaki; 08-11-2022 at 05:55 AM.
08-11-2022, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Forum Member

You're not wrong, but the need to calculate individual shot time only applies when the mode is Additive, ie. the exposures are all added together: the sum of 20 accurate exposures = nineteen stops over-exposed.

The suggestion is to start by trying the mode in Average: the arithmetic mean of 20 accurate exposures = One accurate exposure.

(Pentax = no potato)?!

08-11-2022, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Thanks for the tip. But as a beginner in this technique I would like to skip the potato from behind so Please let me know if I understood right this technique . I have to calculate the exposure time of the single shot by multiplying the speed of a well-exposed frame by the number of individual shots. and then in manual mode to set the single frame values ​​to achieve the desired exposure. Or am I wrong?
I suppose the camera is smarter than me and calculates the exposure independently. So I'll have to figure where to put that potato by myself🙃. I think it is a good idea to use the electronic shutter in those cases.
Yeah, actually Broadside has nailed it ... in Average mode, not Additive, just choose the shutter speed you like, take your test shots. Adjust after chimping.

And yes, I think potatoes are best mashed, boiled or fried, rather than augmenting our manhoods!
08-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Broadside Quote
You're not wrong, but the need to calculate individual shot time only applies when the mode is Additive, ie. the exposures are all added together: the sum of 20 accurate exposures = nineteen stops over-exposed.

The suggestion is to start by trying the mode in Average: the arithmetic mean of 20 accurate exposures = One accurate exposure.

(Pentax = no potato)?!
Yes, Broadside, thanks for the correction, a bag of spuds coming your way by DHL courier!
08-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Broadside Quote

(Pentax = no potato)?!
Thanks alot for the explanation. Now I understand the basic idea of this function and suppose the additive mode will be useful for night photos as alternative of bulb. Can't wait to try it.

---------- Post added 08-11-22 at 10:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, Broadside, thanks for the correction, a bag of spuds coming your way by DHL courier!
Thank you for the tip and inspiration to learn more about my camera!

---------- Post added 08-11-22 at 10:40 PM ----------

Last edited by Yaki; 08-12-2022 at 08:37 AM.