Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2022, 12:29 AM - 24 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 33: Interval Composites

Good morning, all. Photography is my main hobby, but my friends have different interests. My buddy Joe, for example, has spent his life collecting memorabilia of Wonder Woman, Joan of Arc, and Florence Nightingale. He's a heroine addict.

But I'm not on good terms with my dentist, he seems to charge so much. I can't afford all the root canal stuff so yesterday I decided on an extraction.

Me: How much to have this tooth pulled?

My dentist: $90.00.

Me: $90.00 for just a few minutes work?

Dentist: I can extract it very slowly if you like.

This week I wanted to mention that the built in intervalometer (in your menus, go to Drive Mode, then Interval Composite) in your Pentax can take multiple exposures on the same frame. The K-S2 can do 2000, for example.

There are so many creative uses for us, but one of the easiest modes to understand is Average, because the final composite will have the same exposure as a single longer shot.
The one second shutter speed to get the blurred water of the shot below of a section of the Little Toorongo River would've been too long and the picture overexposed. I was on location without my neutral density filter set. But multiple exposures (probably six here) and a tripod meant stationary objects were nice and sharp while the water had that dreamy feel.

To finish with is the story of the new young beach life guard chatting to the older fellows while they eyed the girls in the surf.

"The girls don't notice me like you more experienced blokes. What can I do to attract them more?" he asked.

They looked at this slim newbie in his tight swimming costume.

"Tell you what ..." said one of them, " ... put a potato in your swimmers, they'll notice you then."

The next day, the naive young fellow came running up from the shoreline. "It didn't work, the girls are all chasing me away like they don't like me," he panted in exasperation.

The older fellow who'd suggested the potato move glanced down at the boy, and said, "Charlie, you got to put the potato in front, not the back."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

08-05-2022, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

Excellent, thank you!
08-05-2022, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Always Interesting.
08-05-2022, 08:53 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Forum Member

If, like clackers, you're going to use this as an alternative to ND filters, you should still consider the shutter speed.

You may feel you want an exposure of 1/200s f/4, but 1/25s f/11 will give you a smoother overall result from fewer shots. That's not to say the fast shutter speed is wrong, it'll just give you streakier results until you get to a high number of shots - it might be the effect you're after.

ETA: Also, as you begin to try this out (and provided the camera allows), I'd suggest you set the camera to jpeg only and save intermediate shots - then save the final pic as RAW if you want. You can then go to the folder and see how the effect builds up.

Last edited by Broadside; 08-05-2022 at 09:01 AM.
08-05-2022, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good morning, all. Photography is my main hobby, but my friends have different interests. My buddy Joe, for example, has spent his life collecting memorabilia of Wonder Woman, Joan of Arc, and Florence Nightingale. He's a heroine addict.

But I'm not on good terms with my dentist, he seems to charge so much. I can't afford all the root canal stuff so yesterday I decided on an extraction.

My dentist has a sense of humour like that … unfortunately his prices are somewhat higher

Need to spend more time with this Interval Composite concept … thanks for the encouragement
08-05-2022, 05:36 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a neat thing I didn't know about. I'll have to check it out. It's amazing how after nearly 50 years of photography, I'm still a beginner!
08-06-2022, 04:00 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My dentist has a sense of humour like that … unfortunately his prices are somewhat higher
Inflation really dates a joke, doesn't it?

Speaking of, here's a way of coping with that:

08-07-2022, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This is a neat thing I didn't know about. I'll have to check it out. It's amazing how after nearly 50 years of photography, I'm still a beginner!
I think photography is like the other arts ... we never stop learning.

When Matisse was too old to stand at his painter's easel, he cut out paper shapes and gave collage as a form a boost.
08-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Next Week: The 'Rule of Odd Numbers'.
08-08-2022, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The one second shutter speed to get the blurred water of the shot below of a section of the Little Toorongo River would've been too long and the picture overexposed. I was on location without my neutral density filter set. But multiple exposures (probably six here) and a tripod meant stationary objects were nice and sharp while the water had that dreamy feel.
I have been wanting to more do of this type of shots, great info. Thank you!
08-09-2022, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #11

This week I wanted to mention that the built in intervalometer (in your menus, go to Drive Mode, then Interval Composite) in your Pentax can take multiple exposures on the same frame. The K-S2 can do 2000, for example.

There are so many creative uses for us, but one of the easiest modes to understand is Average, because the final composite will have the same exposure as a single longer shot.

To finish with is the story of the new young beach life guard chatting to the older fellows while they eyed the girls in the surf.

"The girls don't notice me like you more experienced blokes. What can I do to attract them more?" he asked.

They looked at this slim newbie in his tight swimming costume.

"Tell you what ..." said one of them, " ... put a potato in your swimmers, they'll notice you then."

The next day, the naive young fellow came running up from the shoreline. "It didn't work, the girls are all chasing me away like they don't like me," he panted in exasperation.

The older fellow who'd suggested the potato move glanced down at the boy, and said, "Charlie, you got to put the potato in front, not the back."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com
Dentists in the UK charge $127 for an extraction
08-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
I have been wanting to more do of this type of shots, great info. Thank you!
Yes, get into it, RM, I think you'll find you like 'long exposure' shots. This method is cheaper than an ND1000 filter, and minus any discolouring or uneveness across the frame!
08-09-2022, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Watcha Quote
Dentists in the UK charge $127 for an extraction
If you play Australian Rules Football where knees and elbows go everywhere, it's very easy for a tooth to be removed. May not be the one you wanted, though, Watcha!

Then there are time honoured methods:

08-09-2022, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to try this... great idea..
I remember reading about this in the manual... ha ha
08-10-2022, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #15

Thanks Clackers,
I’ll have to check this out when I get home.
Keep up with the tips, it’s hard to find out all the things a Pentax can do. I tend to get bleary eyed trying to read manuals.