Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bulging D-L109 Battery - Replace with real Pentax or is Brand X OK?

Ran out of juice on K-r while doing test shots. Grabbed battery off of charger (I leave them on there.. sometimes for a LONG time) and it seemed to not want to go into camera. Looked a bit bulgy. Other spare was fine.

Being a Mac user, I know about bulgy batteries. They are not good.

Will give this one to appropriate place for disposal.

So:

Need spare D-L109 (I have a K-r and a K-30)

How do we feel about Brand X?

08-05-2022, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use a lot of Brand X batteries. They are not as good as OEM batteries but for the price they are good enough. However, I don't ever get Brand X batteries to "replace" OEM batteries. I get them in addition to the original batteries. If it was the original battery which went bad I'd suggest buying a Pentax battery to replace it, and if you need additional batteries, Brand X will work great.
08-05-2022, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Ran out of juice on K-r while doing test shots. Grabbed battery off of charger (I leave them on there.. sometimes for a LONG time) and it seemed to not want to go into camera. Looked a bit bulgy. Other spare was fine.

Being a Mac user, I know about bulgy batteries. They are not good.

Will give this one to appropriate place for disposal.

So:

Need spare D-L109 (I have a K-r and a K-30)

How do we feel about Brand X?
I don’t leave batteries in charger - I remove them as soon as they are charged.

I have both a K-30 and a KP.
I use both Pentax and several ‘off’ brands, and toss a battery as soon as it shows any sign of swelling.
I have found that “Wasabi” holds less of a charge, so I don’t plan to purchase any more, but “Kastar” seems OK.
There are so many labels out there it is hard to keep track of them all.
08-05-2022, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

I write how long 3rd party batteries take to charge on them - then I can anticipate when they'll be ready. D-Li109's took 4 hours IIRC.

Charge time is correlated to capacity in my experience. I bought two Ansmanns from Amazon Warehouse. One charged in 2 hours, the other took just 40 minutes. Neither of them lasted as long in camera as the original Pentax; indeed the 40 minute one eventually swelled up and became unusable.

If you need the endurance of an original Pentax battery, you should probably go for a Pentax battery. If you can get by with lower endurance then 3rd party might suffice. I suppose a reputable brand might improve your chances of getting a decent one, but it's still something of a lottery.

08-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I use a lot of Brand X batteries. They are not as good as OEM batteries but for the price they are good enough. However, I don't ever get Brand X batteries to "replace" OEM batteries. I get them in addition to the original batteries. If it was the original battery which went bad I'd suggest buying a Pentax battery to replace it, and if you need additional batteries, Brand X will work great.

It was the original K-r one made in 2010. I have one other for the K-30, and I also have 2 unbulgy DSTEs. They came with their own wall charger, and I have one original D-BC109.

While on the topic, my K-3 III has its own D-LI90 and my K-01 also came with same (both Pentax original). I also have a D-LI90P which I bought (or did that come with K-3 III? Now I forget) and 2 chargers (Pentax D-BP90 and Pentax D-BC90P).

So it appears that if I want to continue using the K-r/K-30 a lot, I need to get a Pentax battery.

---------- Post added 08-05-22 at 17:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Lesson learned.
08-05-2022, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others, I have found that with age, the 3rd party batteries don't hold up as well. The Pentax ones seem to hang in there.
08-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
As others, I have found that with age, the 3rd party batteries don't hold up as well. The Pentax ones seem to hang in there.
I can get a real one from Adorama.

08-05-2022, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
+1
I continue to use Pentax battery of my K-7 after more than 12 years and it continue to retain "juice" longer than 3rd party batteries. My rant: I found that 3rd battery batteries (I have two) tends to stop very suddenly, without warning, compared to the Pentax original batteries.
My 5 cents...
08-05-2022, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
tends to stop very suddenly, without warning
Most definitely. They will go from charged to flat very quickly, and if you don't have a spare on hand, you're in a pickle. I've discovered this on the dog walk....
08-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So: how long does it take to lose a charge if they just sit around?
08-05-2022, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m going to say… I normally buy a third party batteries - and keep an OEM or two on hand as well. This seems like the time to buy 3rd party, particularly since you have other cameras that use that size battery and you have a couple of Pentax batteries you can swap in if you need longer life for a particular event.
08-05-2022, 07:39 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

I don't know if the K-r offers this option but with my K30, I ditched the D-L109 batteries and got a AA battery holder and have been using Eneloops in it without ever looking back. Although the camera is slightly heavier with the AA's, performance is much better, so the tradeoff is more than worthwhile.
08-05-2022, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I don't know if the K-r offers this option but with my K30, I ditched the D-L109 batteries and got a AA battery holder and have been using Eneloops in it without ever looking back. Although the camera is slightly heavier with the AA's, performance is much better, so the tradeoff is more than worthwhile.
Yes, the K-r does take the same AA holder. I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in mine, as they deliver very stable performance & are long lasting. Edit - Also, the “mirror flop” problem that K-r bodies have been susceptible to, does not seem to manifest itself if consistently running AA batteries.

Last edited by bobore; 08-05-2022 at 08:15 PM.
08-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Yes, K-r can use this. That would probably be cheaper than a new OEM battery over time
08-05-2022, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Lesson learned.
I leave batteries in the chargers for months at a time (I have lots of batteries). The charging stops when the battery reaches a certain amount. I have to remove and reinsert the battery before it's time to use it though.

I just make sure to never mix batteries and chargers due to voltage differences, i.e., don't charge an off-brand battery with the Pentax charger.