Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2022, 06:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

A few pictures to illustrate: Starting with KP, Samsung NX100 (K-7 sensor) and the Samsung NX 500. All SOOC.

If I take my Samsung GX-10 the brilliancy / sharpness suffers as well, just like your rose did. In printing they usually come out better, but that is thanks to the Epson software. They also suffered from scaling down to the appropriate size for this forum.

Attached Images

08-09-2022, 07:08 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red flowers were tough to get good exposure on with my k-50 and k-3. Easier with the KP. Underexposing is helpful. Look at the histogram, you may find the red channel got nailed high.
08-09-2022, 02:07 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I think not, because the same sensor used in the Samsung NX 10/NX100 does not have the problem, maybe it is in the processor. It is just something that a Pentax does. I have one picture of a red poppy Papaver which is spot on! Made with the K-7 in Live view!
If they used the same sensor in both cameras, wouldn't it seem logical to use the same processor? I believe I will go ahead and take another contributor's advice and see how

it goes by using Live View. I will report on my findings. Many thanks for your helpfulness.

Tony

---------- Post added 08-09-22 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Red flowers were tough to get good exposure on with my k-50 and k-3. Easier with the KP. Underexposing is helpful. Look at the histogram, you may find the red channel got nailed high.
Now this is really interesting to me. I had no problems with the k-50 and reds and in addition I recall many shooters here claiming the same with their k-3 and k-3II gear.

It gives me pause to wonder if there may be a problem with Quality Control. As another contributor clearly indicated, "These problems are typical of all Pentax gear."

So, go figure. Again, I will go ahead and try to get out there today using Live View and see how it goes.

Thanks again, U.V., much appreciated.

Tony
08-09-2022, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

@ Tonytee: This is what the K-7 can achieve in Liveview. I used the 18-135 for this picture!

Attached Images

08-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
@ Tonytee: This is what the K-7 can achieve in Liveview. I used the 18-135 for this picture!
Now this is what I would call, "Quite a dramatic shift." Very good and very encouraging. Many thanks for your assistance.

Tony
08-09-2022, 09:09 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
I'm a little unclear if you are unhappy with the resulting image, or ONLY the representation of it in the camera LCD display. If the resulting image is a problem, it might be the auto white balance that throws you off. For subjects such as this, use a white or gray card to manually set the white balance, then take the picture of the subject. That should always result in accurate colors. With bright reds, you might want to slightly underexpose (look at the clipping display on the LCD) to make sure the reds are not clipped. I'm somewhat color blind, so rely on such tricks to get things reasonably close (as judged by my wife!).

-Joe-
Hello Joe and many thanks for your input. I am quite unhappy with both areas. I will be posting an image I took today in Live View under harsh sunlight. It turned out better

than the image I previously posted, however I can still detect quite a bit of Orange. I had some problems with Live View, but that may be another thread.

Thanks again, Tony.
08-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Test photo; " I was raised in the 50's, but I still hate those, "Reds". :)

A bit better result in Live View, however I can still detect quite a bit of Orange. It is not even close to the Candy Apple Red Color of the actual Rose.

08-09-2022, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A bit better result in Live View, however I can still detect quite a bit of Orange. It is not even close to the Candy Apple Red Color of the actual Rose.
Someone suggested uploading a picture of the same rose taken on your phone so we can compare the colours. Is that possible?

08-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a calibration device and have you calibrated your screen? The latest shots look very good, and adjustments in jpg or raw profiles tend to look very close to nature if the red channel isn’t over exposed. Looking at your histogram should help verify if overexposure is happening also.
08-10-2022, 06:54 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Red is a challenging color for cameras. It's not just Pentax.
Learn to Stop Red Blowout | Learn Photography by Zoner Photo Studio.
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/10735/why-do-bright-red-flowers-en...ithout-details
Photographers: This is How to Keep Your Reds Under Control | Light Stalking

I've seen a few comments on our forums that the older CCD sensors were much more red-friendly.

BTW, I think you might get more pleasing results on those red flowers if you shade them from the harsher overhead light and use a reflector to redirect light onto the flower
08-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Red is a challenging color for cameras. It's not just Pentax.
Learn to Stop Red Blowout | Learn Photography by Zoner Photo Studio.
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/10735/why-do-bright-red-flowers-en...ithout-details
Photographers: This is How to Keep Your Reds Under Control | Light Stalking

I've seen a few comments on our forums that the older CCD sensors were much more red-friendly.

BTW, I think you might get more pleasing results on those red flowers if you shade them from the harsher overhead light and use a reflector to redirect light onto the flower
Agreed. I went from k100d super (6mp ccd) to k-50 (16mp cmos) and that’s when it started being something I noticed.
08-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Agreed. I went from k100d super (6mp ccd) to k-50 (16mp cmos) and that’s when it started being something I noticed.
Okay, in a few I will post an image that is way underexposed so everyone can see how it turned out. Then, I believe what I will do is to take a couple of images with my

Canon gear which very accurately records any reds, in order to present the actual, real time subject. I am going to upload four images of the same subject at various exposure levels. Thnx.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 08-10-2022 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
08-10-2022, 02:37 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Image #1. Seriously underexposed.

A day with harsh sunlight, no scrim, but a bit in the shade. Thnx. TT
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-10-2022, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter