Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2022, 12:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seeing a different color of the subject in the LCD Screen, than the actual color.

Okay, here is my problem with the Pentax K-7. When shooting Roses this evening that are Candy Apple Red, the image in the LCD Display reveals Orange Roses. I entered into the Menu and

got to: "LCD Color Tuning." I got to the grid displaying the various color channels and attempted to move the cursor over to what appears to be "Red" in color, but is marked

with the letter "A". I brought it all the way over to A7 position, tried a few shots at the Candy Apple Red Rose, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 08-09-2022 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Additional Information.
08-09-2022, 01:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Which camera?
I can't find "LCD Color Tuning" on any of my bodies.
08-09-2022, 01:39 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Okay, here is my problem. When shooting Roses this evening that are Candy Apple Red, the image in the LCD Display reveals Orange Roses. I entered into the Menu and

got to: "LCD Color Tuning." I got to the grid displaying the various color channels and attempted to move the cursor over to what appears to be "Red" in color, but is marked

with the letter "A". I brought it all the way over to A7 position, tried a few shots at the Candy Apple Red Rose, but to no avail.

Tony
First thing to say is that adjusting the LCD colour display wont help. It does not affect the captured image when viewed on anything other than the camera LCD. I suggest you set that back to the default setting.

Then check the following settings on your camera ....

What WB did you use ?

Is the camera set to sRGB colour space ?

Do you have any "digital filters" turned on ?

What is your Image finishing Tone set to ? ( Bright Natural Vibrant etc)

Finally, what do the images look like on your computer ? If they still show orange, it may be because of overexposure or incorrect WB for the scene. If your image was a high contrast one, the reds may have been overexposed leading to an orange tint.

Can you post the offending photo on here
08-09-2022, 01:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Which camera?
I can't find "LCD Color Tuning" on any of my bodies.

Excuse me. I am talking about the Pentax K-7. Thanks for the notification.

Tony

08-09-2022, 01:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Okay, here is my problem. When shooting Roses this evening that are Candy Apple Red, the image in the LCD Display reveals Orange Roses. I entered into the Menu and

Tony
What does the image look like on a different screen? Computer, tablet etc. (preferably a calibrated device). Pentax does tend to shift reds but usually away from orange.
08-09-2022, 01:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
First thing to say is that adjusting the LCD colour display wont help. It does not affect the captured image when viewed on anything other than the camera LCD. I suggest you set that back to the default setting.

Then check the following settings on your camera ....

What WB did you use ?

Is the camera set to sRGB colour space ?

Do you have any "digital filters" turned on ?

What is your Image finishing Tone set to ? ( Bright Natural Vibrant etc)

Finally, what do the images look like on your computer ? If they still show orange, it may be because of overexposure or incorrect WB for the scene. If your image was a high contrast one, the reds may have been overexposed leading to an orange tint.

Can you post the offending photo on here

Yes, I will do that now. Many thnx. TT
08-09-2022, 01:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I guess it is one of the features of your camera. I have this all the time with any flower, especially when they are red (orange, pink purple), with any Pentax branded camera and my Samsung GX-10. If I copy the settings of my camera's to any of my Samsung NX's, make a picture of a flower the colours are what they must be. I have tried every possible setting on any of the Pentax's to no avail. I have learned to live with it. For flowers I just use Samsung NX. I experience the same when I make a picture of a person wearing a red coat. When in the film era, I had the same problem with the Pentax colours and was disappointed when I got the pictures back, but some postprocessing in that era solved the problem (good photoshop). In the digital era I am immediately confronted with the problem.
I also have the K-7 and it is the same as with the others.

08-09-2022, 01:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seeing a different color in the LCD Screen than the actual subject color.

1/45s, F/6.7, ISO 200, Manual Exposure Mode with 3EV and Multi-Segment Metering.

Used Auto White Balance. Yes, set to sRGB Color Space. No digital filters turned on. I am not able to locate: Image Finishing Tone.

TT

Last edited by Tonytee; 08-09-2022 at 01:59 AM.
08-09-2022, 02:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

1/45s, F/6.7, ISO 200, Manual Exposure Mode with 3EV and Multi-Segment Metering.

Used Auto White Balance. Yes, set to sRGB Color Space. No digital filters turned on. I am not able to locate: Image Finishing Tone.

TT
Yes that is what I call "normal behaviour of a Pentax". Sorry. I have learned to live with it. Have you ever tried to make such a picture using LiveView? On the K-7 I noticed it makes a difference. I have the iso on 100 and also AWB. Even with specific WB settings it is the same. And just like mine, it has lost the brilliancy!
08-09-2022, 02:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You should be able to get good colours if you develop the raw file and find/make a good colour profile. The Pentax colour profiles twist the red hues.
08-09-2022, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I guess it is one of the features of your camera. I have this all the time with any flower, especially when they are red (orange, pink purple), with any Pentax branded camera and my Samsung GX-10. If I copy the settings of my camera's to any of my Samsung NX's, make a picture of a flower the colours are what they must be. I have tried every possible setting on any of the Pentax's to no avail. I have learned to live with it. For flowers I just use Samsung NX. I experience the same when I make a picture of a person wearing a red coat. When in the film era, I had the same problem with the Pentax colours and was disappointed when I got the pictures back, but some postprocessing in that era solved the problem (good photoshop). In the digital era I am immediately confronted with the problem.
I also have the K-7 and it is the same as with the others.

I believe your response is a Godsend. I have had this k-7 for approximately five years and have been relatively happy with its performance and reliability. However, for the

past five years I have experienced nothing but difficulties in replicating red, maroon and burgundy colored roses. There are no problems in accurately replicating the color

red in fabrics, i,e., cloth, shirts, blouses, and even Santa Claus. I received a PM from another member informing me that the problem lies with the Samsung sensor in the

k-7 in the flower colors I mentioned. Tough being a Floral shooter and not being able to capture some beautiful red roses. Here is another interesting point.

I had experienced absolutely no issues properly capturing red flowers with my Pentax K100D and K100D Super bodies along with the K-50. The K100D and K100D Super

had the awesome Sony CCD 6.1mp sensor which again, did some fantastic work with every color in the spectrum. Well, that may be another option along with just sticking

with more recent technology Canon gear. I find the possibility of giving up on Pentax rather distasteful but, I may have no choice.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Regards, Tonytee
08-09-2022, 02:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

the problem lies with the Samsung sensor in the k-7 in the flower colors I mentioned
I think not, because the same sensor used in the Samsung NX 10/NX100 does not have the problem, maybe it is in the processor. It is just something that a Pentax does. I have one picture of a red poppy Papaver which is spot on! Made with the K-7 in Live view!
08-09-2022, 04:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Some flowers reflect light strongly in the UV spectrum (for the benefit of insects' eyesight), we can't see this but possibly it's overwhelming the sensor. I would try deliberately underexposing by 1 or more stops and seeing if the colour of the petals now looks better.
08-09-2022, 05:08 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony

Grab a picture of the rose with your cellphone and post it here. Should be able to match the colours
08-09-2022, 05:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TT
I'm a little unclear if you are unhappy with the resulting image, or ONLY the representation of it in the camera LCD display. If the resulting image is a problem, it might be the auto white balance that throws you off. For subjects such as this, use a white or gray card to manually set the white balance, then take the picture of the subject. That should always result in accurate colors. With bright reds, you might want to slightly underexpose (look at the clipping display on the LCD) to make sure the reds are not clipped. I'm somewhat color blind, so rely on such tricks to get things reasonably close (as judged by my wife!).

-Joe-