Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax PF-100ED Spotting Scope

Hi,

I have been offered a Pentax PF-100 ED Spotting Scope and attachments.
Has anyone used one of these and if so what is your opinion of it?

Regards,
Gordon.

08-10-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

some time ago i asked about other Pentax scopes.

Seems not many members are onto scopes.

Pentax scopes - PentaxForums.com
08-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that they are well regarded. I have 3 ED style telescopes and generally they have great colour correction for only 2 elements. 3 elements is the standard but at the cost of expense and weight
The XW eyepieces are fantastic, so the spotting scope should be good aswell. I guess the question is, do you have a use for one?
08-11-2022, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I have been offered a Pentax PF-100 ED Spotting Scope and attachments.
Has anyone used one of these and if so what is your opinion of it?

Regards,
Gordon.
I have a PF-80ED A with a 8mm-24mm zoom eyepiece. While I have not used it extensively, it’s impressive physically, well made and a pleasure to use. I bought it last Black Friday when Ricoh had a sale. At $907, I considered it a bargain. The top brands 80mm scopes can cost north of $3K. I can’t imagine they’re 3x better!

I use it for birding mostly. You’ll want to put it on a tripod. An angled scope like mine isn’t really suitable for use like a telephoto lens on a bean bag in a car. If it has a straight barrel you’re good to go. You didn’t mention if $$ are involved or not but if its in good shape, I’d take it, you’ll like it.

08-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax spotting scopes are in the top quality range as are their astronimical telescopes, but they are hard to get hold of. This may be because owners covert them.
08-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Pentax spotting scopes are in the top quality range as are their astronimical telescopes, but they are hard to get hold of. This may be because owners covert them.
I (also) have the PF-80ED A with the zoom eyepiece. It's great. I think their best binoculars and scopes are quite good, and a step above similarly priced competition. You can buy the PF-100ED in the US again, after a few years when it wasn't available here. I think you do need a prime eyepiece to experience what this scope can really do. But with the zoom eyepiece the view is great down to about 10mm. If you haven't used a spotting scope before, you will be amazed at the view. The view through a good spotting scope is so much better than even great binoculars. You will need a tripod of course, preferably with a pan head (IMO).
08-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My preference with spotting scopes is the angled eyepiece, it saves neck strain when using.