Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2022, 07:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, a lot depends on how often there is a need for f/2.8 because when needed only f/2.8 will do. Lower light hand-held shooting, faster action, etc- situations where having that f/2.8 available can make a big difference. One's shooting experience should indicate such need. I don't need that much aperture all that often, but often enough to warrant my having this capability, yet also having very good but slower lenses for more carrying convenience when having the larger aperture is not a factor.

08-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I had one for years with my K-1. It got knocked over and i had to sent it in to be fixed. Still used it for many years until a few months ago a came across a mint Pentax FA* 70-200/2.8
80-200… right?
08-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The value won't go down much on a used lens if at all. Can just flip it relatively easily if you don't like it.
08-12-2022, 05:18 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
80-200… right?
this is what I had. Someone knocked over the tripod and the front of the lens was damaged.
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

---------- Post added 08-12-22 at 05:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a crap shoot depending on whether it has the version update needed for the k1. I bought that lens right after I got my k1 mkll and it would cause it to shut down after one shutter activation. Sigma US tech support told me it was a known problem communicating with the K1 & needed a version update which they no longer do them for that lens. Fortunately, I bought it from KEH and they took it back.

My take it shouldn't be about the money saved. More often than not one buys for savings then wishes they had spent the money for a lens that would suit the purpose better and wind up eventually going after what they should have saved for and got in the first place.
I've ran into this with other Sigma lenses (one had even sent in and was updated), so I'm very leery about buying them, especially if I can't test before hand.

08-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

this is what I had. Someone knocked over the tripod and the front of the lens was damaged.
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sorry, I should have quoted you to give more context. You mentioned your FA* Pentax but labeled it 70-200/2.8; it’s 80-200 unlike the Tamron or the D FA current Pentax lens in this range. Not a huge difference but it might confuse someone looking to find one.
08-12-2022, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry, I should have quoted you to give more context. You mentioned your FA* Pentax but labeled it 70-200/2.8; it’s 80-200 unlike the Tamron or the D FA current Pentax lens in this range. Not a huge difference but it might confuse someone looking to find one.
I'm a little confused now. What I had was the older Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. I replaced it with the current Pentax 70-200 f/2.8. It's listed as D FA*. Guess I forgot to put in the D?
08-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a little confused now. What I had was the older Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. I replaced it with the current Pentax 70-200 f/2.8. It's listed as D FA*. Guess I forgot to put in the D?
Ahhh! Yes. There’s also an older FA* that’s 80-200/2.8 - which I had misunderstood you to be saying you owned. It’s a much older screw drive lens and while quite good it’s not the same quality as the D FA.

08-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: received the new pentax lens. Works great so far. It's a bit awkward with the zoom so far forward on the lens. It's something I'll just have to get use too.
08-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ski Jumper Quote
I'm considering a used Tamron SP A001 70-200mm f/2.8 LD AF IF Di Lens for my k1ii. I've read all the reviews about it's strengths and weaknesses.
But these are aging quickly, average used price is around $500 ish (about 250 to get it serviced, i think, for contact errors, etc). I found a terrific looking one for even less and need to make a decision soon. Just trying to save money for now, while a get familiar with the camera. Money is an object.
But, on average, the price is only about $300 short of what a new Pentax f/4 70-210 is selling for. So, I need some opinions on which to purchase.
I bought this lens secondhand for a reasonable price, but was very disappointed when I found out that there were tiny black chips and flakes inside, probably from anti-reflex paint. I had it professionally cleaned and the previous owner paid half of the invoice. Half a year later the same thing happened, not as bad as the first time, but still visible. I sold it to a collector who just wanted the have all of the mount versions of the lens, not to use it. I then bought the Pentax 2.8 version, which I really love for its qualities, optical and mechanical.
08-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #25

I have this Tamron lens since years and I’m quite happy with the picture quality of the lens. Maybe a bit soft at 2.8.