Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2022, 07:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Posts: 62
Tamron: to buy or not to buy

I'm considering a used Tamron SP A001 70-200mm f/2.8 LD AF IF Di Lens for my k1ii. I've read all the reviews about it's strengths and weaknesses.
But these are aging quickly, average used price is around $500 ish (about 250 to get it serviced, i think, for contact errors, etc). I found a terrific looking one for even less and need to make a decision soon. Just trying to save money for now, while a get familiar with the camera. Money is an object.
But, on average, the price is only about $300 short of what a new Pentax f/4 70-210 is selling for. So, I need some opinions on which to purchase.

08-10-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,086
when in any situation where you wished it is f2.8 and not f4 (whether for more light or for bokeh), that Tamron will be what you wished you were carrying.

That Tamron 001 is a good lens.
Has a relatively short min focussing distance as well (for a 70-200).

So, is up to individual, whether anticipate going to need and will use f2.8, f3.5.
08-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,797
It also depend on what you will shoot, as the noise from screw drive AF on the Tamron may be a disadvantage.
08-10-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
when in any situation where you wished it is f2.8 and not f4 (whether for more light or for bokeh), that Tamron will be what you wished you were carrying.

That Tamron 001 is a good lens.
Has a relatively short min focussing distance as well (for a 70-200).

So, is up to individual, whether anticipate going to need and will use f2.8, f3.5.
Wouldn't the k1s iso take care of most situations?

08-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,094
New vs used
2.8 vs 4
Tamron vs Pentax with Tamron specs.
Long time ago, I would say: get the Tamron. Today it would be the Pentax, but only if DOF of 2.8 is not important.
08-11-2022, 12:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian
AfterPentax Mark II's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,094
QuoteOriginally posted by Ski Jumper Quote
I'm considering a used Tamron SP A001 70-200mm f/2.8 LD AF IF Di Lens for my k1ii. I've read all the reviews about it's strengths and weaknesses.
But these are aging quickly, average used price is around $500 ish (about 250 to get it serviced, i think, for contact errors, etc). I found a terrific looking one for even less and need to make a decision soon. Just trying to save money for now, while a get familiar with the camera. Money is an object.
But, on average, the price is only about $300 short of what a new Pentax f/4 70-210 is selling for. So, I need some opinions on which to purchase.
I would go for the Pentax, after all, you have a Pentax-branded camera. There are also Pentax specific advantages, such as in camera automatic corrections. And if it is for the money (which is an object) I would not buy the cheaper one because it would be the money that influenced the decision, not the quality of the lens. If you want a 70-200 you could also look for the Sigma 70-200 which is f2.8 and does a very good job and I used it for a while and was very very content with the results. Absolutely sharp and a very nice rendering. Most of the time quite affordable second hand.
08-11-2022, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,532
The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a crap shoot depending on whether it has the version update needed for the k1. I bought that lens right after I got my k1 mkll and it would cause it to shut down after one shutter activation. Sigma US tech support told me it was a known problem communicating with the K1 & needed a version update which they no longer do them for that lens. Fortunately, I bought it from KEH and they took it back.

My take it shouldn't be about the money saved. More often than not one buys for savings then wishes they had spent the money for a lens that would suit the purpose better and wind up eventually going after what they should have saved for and got in the first place.

08-11-2022, 02:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,853
QuoteOriginally posted by Ski Jumper Quote
I'm considering a used Tamron SP A001 70-200mm f/2.8 LD AF IF Di Lens for my k1ii. I've read all the reviews about it's strengths and weaknesses.

But these are aging quickly, average used price is around $500 ish (about 250 to get it serviced, i think, for contact errors, etc). I found a terrific looking one for even less and need to make a decision soon. Just trying to save money for now, while a get familiar with the camera. Money is an object.

But, on average, the price is only about $300 short of what a new Pentax f/4 70-210 is selling for. So, I need some opinions on which to purchase.
There is a Tamron for sale right here on the forum.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/444315-sale-sold-tamron-70-200mm-f2-8-di-ld-macro.html#post5596967

08-11-2022, 05:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 9,391
These lenses are reputed to be very good, I had an old Sigma one which was pretty good, and is fine if you don't need DFA* levels of sharpness or silent focus. These older lenses have less to go wrong with them than their more modern counterparts with focus motors, more electronics, IS systems etc and if something does fail it'll probably be a mechanical problem that can be fixed by a competent lens technician anywhere. I wouldn't worry about it. How else will you get a FF 70-200/2.8 for less than a couple of grand?
08-11-2022, 05:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,998
I donít have a k-1. But Iíve used the 70-210 on the monster adapter on my Sony a7riii and natively on my KP - it was a nice lens. The internal zoom and internal focus keep it from growing and shrinking and the overall lens is nice. However I prefer the 60-250 on both cameras despite the sdm reputation for slowness, despite the growing and shrinking, despite the weight. I may be biased as I own the 60-250 and the 70-210 was only on loan. The 70-200/2.8 Tamron has never made it into my hands so I canít compare it directly.
08-11-2022, 05:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Zuiderkempen - Grote Netewoud - Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 435
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a crap shoot depending on whether it has the version update needed for the k1. I bought that lens right after I got my k1 mkll and it would cause it to shut down after one shutter activation. Sigma US tech support told me it was a known problem communicating with the K1 & needed a version update which they no longer do them for that lens. Fortunately, I bought it from KEH and they took it back.

My take it shouldn't be about the money saved. More often than not one buys for savings then wishes they had spent the money for a lens that would suit the purpose better and wind up eventually going after what they should have saved for and got in the first place.
The issue is indeed future compatibility and service support , any sigma or tamron acquired today (secondhand) might work with today's camera bodies, but not (always) with future bodies, a screwdrive might be less risky than an el. motordrive one...(there might be more evolution in this newer type of focusing) . The sigma 70-210 and K1II is a know example where end of support is clear. Also getting sigma for pentax lenses repaired is reported to become cumbersome (even if the lens mounts still exists for other brands).

In camera corrections (for vignetting, distortions etc...) are only with Pentax lenses.
So a cheap tamron can be a solution now if it is reflected in the price correctly.

The bit more expensive pentax 70-210 is F4 but maybe more future proof...and the much more expensive 70-200 F2.8 is similar better but more expensive....

Choices ...short term / long term money spending...future bodies compatibility...

if sigma and tamron are (much) cheaper , than it is worth for a short term investment.
08-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,122
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
There is a Tamron for sale right here on the forum.
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro - PentaxForums.com
I would buy that.
08-11-2022, 09:10 AM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 11
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It also depend on what you will shoot, as the noise from screw drive AF on the Tamron may be a disadvantage.
In my experience, screw focus lenses take longer to attain focus with increasing focal lengths. And if you want to photograph moving wildlife, for example, it really makes it difficult because the subject might well have moved by the time the lens has achieved focus. Having bought a second-hand telephoto lens, I was delighted with its optical performance but the screw focussing was frustratingly slow. I ended up buying the Pentax 50 - 300mm SDM lens and all those problems disappeared.

It'd be great if others could validate this!
08-11-2022, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I would buy that.
I was going to, but got a super deal on the pentax. If I doesn't work for me, I'll sell it.

---------- Post added 08-11-22 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
The issue is indeed future compatibility and service support , any sigma or tamron acquired today (secondhand) might work with today's camera bodies, but not (always) with future bodies, a screwdrive might be less risky than an el. motordrive one...(there might be more evolution in this newer type of focusing) . The sigma 70-210 and K1II is a know example where end of support is clear. Also getting sigma for pentax lenses repaired is reported to become cumbersome (even if the lens mounts still exists for other brands).

In camera corrections (for vignetting, distortions etc...) are only with Pentax lenses.
So a cheap tamron can be a solution now if it is reflected in the price correctly.

The bit more expensive pentax 70-210 is F4 but maybe more future proof...and the much more expensive 70-200 F2.8 is similar better but more expensive....

Choices ...short term / long term money spending...future bodies compatibility...

if sigma and tamron are (much) cheaper , than it is worth for a short term investment.
I took the advice, made an offer and got a great deal on the pentax. If I don't like it, I could probably sell it for what I pd. Thanks

---------- Post added 08-11-22 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I would go for the Pentax, after all, you have a Pentax-branded camera. There are also Pentax specific advantages, such as in camera automatic corrections. And if it is for the money (which is an object) I would not buy the cheaper one because it would be the money that influenced the decision, not the quality of the lens. If you want a 70-200 you could also look for the Sigma 70-200 which is f2.8 and does a very good job and I used it for a while and was very very content with the results. Absolutely sharp and a very nice rendering. Most of the time quite affordable second hand.
Thanks, got the pentax
08-11-2022, 06:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cdd29's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 716
I had one for years with my K-1. It got knocked over and i had to sent it in to be fixed. Still used it for many years until a few months ago a came across a mint Pentax FA* 70-200/2.8
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, camera, corrections, customer service, f2.8, future, lens, lenses, money, pentax, pentax help, photography, price, ricoh imaging, sigma, suggestion, support, tamron, term, troubleshooting, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To buy or not to buy the Pentax 28-105, or the question of walking-around with a K1 Bui Pentax DSLR Discussion 38 12-24-2020 06:28 AM
Not one, not two, not three, not four, but a wedding where half attendees are bob. LeDave Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 05-16-2016 03:40 AM
Hi! K-S1 (+kit lens +Ä200 store certificate) @ Ä345. To buy or not to buy? TomLT Welcomes and Introductions 11 08-04-2015 06:01 AM
To buy or not to buy? bxf Pentax K-3 & K-3 II 43 11-16-2014 10:55 PM
To buy or not to buy lingtroy Photographic Technique 8 08-05-2008 08:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top