08-13-2022, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

All I have to say is :

'Four Candles'.

08-13-2022, 05:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Composition requires attention to many things as we all know. The Rule of Odd Numbers, which btw is a real rule learned in graphic design and applies to writing as well, is just one that Ian has done readers a service with mentioning.
I'm fine with that, I understand myself , which is the most important , after spending hundreds of hours in professional training. This is a beginners-tip post after all , not supposed to go beyond.
08-13-2022, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Comedy works well with odd numbers such as your "1 liners" "3's seem to work well. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_(writing)
So why is 4/4 so good for music? I suppose it offers continuation instead of resolution.
08-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've never heard of the rule of odd numbers, so it's new to me. I however heard of the rule of 3, or at least the rule of less than 7 (could be two, four, or six), the reason being not to overload cognitive capabilities of the human brain and compositional balance. For instance, you could have a composition with 51 elements in it, 51 is an odd number, but the composition would have low impact due to cognitive overload (unless it's about to show a repetitive pattern, in which case it doesn't matter if the number of cycles is odd or even). The rule of three (odd) or four (even) is used all the time in speeches, articles, books, and images (notice the 4 elements in the sentence) , because it's low effort for the brain to process in short term memory.
Yes, see Post 3.

I put 'Rule' in inverted commas, too, because it's obviously not what we call a law. Advice, maybe.

08-13-2022, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
All I have to say is :

'Four Candles'.
Great Two Ronnies sketch!
08-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoGekko Quote
Hi Clackers,
As I always enjoy your tips I opened the PentasForum post. On my screen (attached) appeared this view
What's happening here????? Destiny, magic, do you or Google adds own my computer?? Freaking!
Oh, you mean the ad that's appeared at the bottom of your page, Gerared?

Yes, that's spooky!
08-13-2022, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

If you have an odd number of items, then one can be in the middle. With an even number, the middle is an empty space. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

08-14-2022, 12:24 AM - 5 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you have an odd number of items, then one can be in the middle. With an even number, the middle is an empty space. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That must explain why so many people have two ears
08-14-2022, 03:47 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Five bottles of wine are definitely more interesting than 4 bottles. But six bottles???

This odd number phenomenon typically has a practical limit at 7 (perhaps even 5) as once we have too many items it becomes difficult for the eye to grasp the number with a quick scan.
I think so, too, Don. See Post 3.
08-14-2022, 03:54 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That backfired, when they all disagreed.
I wanted to interrupt this appropriate discussion on photography and design to say that the quoted line above gave me a good belly laugh. Possibly because the line contains an odd number of letters. Your tips are as hilarious as they are informative and I'm enjoying them a lot!
08-14-2022, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Interesting thoughts, clacks, but my experience is Pentaxians generally would exhibit more interest in six bottles.
SIX!!!! Honest officer, I swear I only had TWO!!
08-14-2022, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I think you're using different phrases to say the same thing Mark did in Post #2, and which others have alluded to as well.

Composition requires attention to many things as we all know. The Rule of Odd Numbers, which btw is a real rule learned in graphic design, is just one that Ian has done readers a service with mentioning.

While you may not have heard of the Rule of Odd Numbers before now, once you look into it and understand the evidence for its effectiveness, you'll begin to recognize it at work all around you: Phrases (Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness for example), photo composition as Ian has shown, stage plays (three acts is typical), the proper color balance in design (both three and five work well), sports, staging in furniture displays and products, advertising, gosh everywhere!
Cue the “Schoolhouse Rock” music and everybody sing “Three is a magic number….”
08-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Your tips are as hilarious as they are informative
Thanks, JCD, I think photography is a joyous activity, hope that comes through!
08-15-2022, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Interesting thoughts, clacks, but my experience is Pentaxians generally would exhibit more interest in six bottles.
I hear what you're saying, StillLegged ... if you see six bottles, you must immediately drink one ... nicely done!