Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo image size from my K200D

Hey guys just wondering what the deal is with my photo image sizes.
I have it set on highest JPEG, 10m, but when i put them onto my laptop they are only 4 MEG. And the raw photos are only at about 9. I expected the files to alot larger.. does it depend on the lens at all? I'm using a DA 18-250mm. Can anyone explain?

Thanks

12-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Sensors are measured in MP which means megaPIXELS (millions of "dots").

Files sizes are measured in MB which means megaBYTES (millions of "bytes").
12-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Hey guys just wondering what the deal is with my photo image sizes.
I have it set on highest JPEG, 10m, but when i put them onto my laptop they are only 4 MEG. And the raw photos are only at about 9. I expected the files to alot larger.. does it depend on the lens at all? I'm using a DA 18-250mm. Can anyone explain?

Thanks
like specialK said above 10M or 10MP means 10 megapixels, whereas 4MB or 4 Meg means 4 megabytes..... it has nothing to do with the lens, the larger the number of pixels in your pictures, the larger will be the size of the picture.....
hope that helps.....
12-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

To add to aamir515's remarks. Figure out the size of the printed photo you want. i.e 6 x 4, A4 size etc etc. Then set the camera to the appropriate number of megapixels.
2 MP will give you a 6 x 4 image if you print it.
10MP around an A3 size.
Naturally, this equates to the MB space the photo will need when stored onto a computer hard drive. A 6 x 4 will take a few hundred KB's, an A3 will take around 4 MB.

Taking a photo at 10 MP will not give you a better quality image that one shot at 2 MP.
The quality of the photo, whether it be a 10 MP or 2 MP, largely depends upon the lens quality, the way you have set the photo up, (Lighting, ISO, Shutter speed) etc etc.

12-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Question

However, the file sizes do vary from shot to shot, even at the same megapixel setting. I read that digital cameras record more information when the subject is illuminated well compared to when it is not. So, a dark picture should be a smaller file size than a light picture? Or am I completely wrong?
12-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A lot of what your asking was answered in this thread - it covers Megapixels in particular.

Hope that helps......

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.....
01-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

If you're shooting JPEG's then compression will affect the size of the file. Imagine shooting a scene where there are large areas with little or no tonal variation. You don't need to write every pixel as a large chunk is the same, so the output file will be smaller.

If you shoot RAW then you'll get a consistent output size as it's sending data for every pixel - no compression.
01-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gravyboy Quote

If you shoot RAW then you'll get a consistent output size as it's sending data for every pixel - no compression.
Except for in camera PEF which is compressed.