Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #1

K1000 prism question

Hi guys,

I just picked up a late model K1000 at a thrift store for dirt cheap. The thing looks barely used and is in great shape save for the prism which is desilvering. Although I am an old Nikon shooter I learned on a K1000 in high school and scooped it up for nostalgia.

I am in the process of looking for a donor k1000 to cannibalize the part. I've read on these forums, and other places, that the late model made in China versions have a different prism. I also read that the you can tell the difference between the China and other versions was that the China versions don't have "Asahi" on the front (besides the bottom plate). Thus my question...

I saw a for parts Hong Kong model without Asahi on the front up for auction. Does that have the same prism as the MIC or am I limited just to MIC models?

Many thanks!

08-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yours will probably have Made in Japan on it, or Hong Kong and that along with the serial number would help to narrow down a donor from ebay. Some models may have a pentamirror, yours might be one of these. A spares or repair one would be best. I don't know how difficult it would be to change the pentaprism and get it realigned, there must be info somewhere on this forum.
08-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

I have a made in China model. #5209533
08-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yours may have a pentamirror, I don't think pentaprisms have much trouble.
I have just looked at the Wikipedia article for the K1000 and there is no mention of a pentamirror being used on the Chinese made models, only top and bottom plates being plastic and the use of more plastic gears.

Last edited by pentasonic49; 08-17-2022 at 02:40 PM.
08-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #5

I too have a Chinese made K1000...

I bought it new around 1990 at Lechmere Sales in Boston. When looking through the viewfinder there was a "Rorschach test" looking black blob that I thought might be some foam dislodged and sitting atop the focusing screen. Upon operating, I found that it was within the prism itself. It's unfortunate, because otherwise the camera was in great condition. I didn't pursue finding a replacement, as I figured that it would be cheaper and easier to buy a used K1000, then to hunt down a replacement prism for mine. Does this sound like the "desilvering" you found in yours? Mine will obviously be of no use for you... Sorry
08-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by STUMPOFWAR Quote
I am in the process of looking for a donor k1000 to cannibalize the part. I've read on these forums, and other places, that the late model made in China versions have a different prism. I also read that the you can tell the difference between the China and other versions was that the China versions don't have "Asahi" on the front (besides the bottom plate). Thus my question...

I saw a for parts Hong Kong model without Asahi on the front up for auction. Does that have the same prism as the MIC or am I limited just to MIC models?
As far as I know a K1000 has never used a pentamirror, but instead a pentaprism. I have several, mostly older made in Japan and Hong Kong versions, with a couple Chinese-made bodies.

You are correct. The easiest way to tell the difference is the Asahi stamp in the front of the top cover prism housing. The later made in China models had plastic top and bottom covers. And yes, the Chinese versions are the ones prone to desilvering. I have a Chinese-made one with a perfect pentaprism, and one which has desilvering.

I tried to replace the defective prism with another from an older K1000 which was a little beat-up and they weren't exactly the same size. The older prism fit in the space, but it didn't give a clear viewfinder. I probably could have spent some time with shims, but the older prism was a little larger so it didn't have much room for adjustments. I ended up putting the old prism back in and living with the desilvering. Others have successfully switched out the prisms though. If you decide to try it, I used this video as a reference:
08-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #7

It would appear to me that the black gooey tape residue that sits between the copper retainer and the prism is what doomed my K1000. It ate right through the mirroring. The stuff is insideous, it is like a cross between tar and grease! BTW mine says "assembled in china" on the bottom.

08-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by petermorris Quote
I bought it new around 1990 at Lechmere Sales in Boston. When looking through the viewfinder there was a "Rorschach test" looking black blob that I thought might be some foam dislodged and sitting atop the focusing screen. Upon operating, I found that it was within the prism itself. It's unfortunate, because otherwise the camera was in great condition. I didn't pursue finding a replacement, as I figured that it would be cheaper and easier to buy a used K1000, then to hunt down a replacement prism for mine. Does this sound like the "desilvering" you found in yours? Mine will obviously be of no use for you... Sorry
Rorschach test is the perfect description! I first thought that it looked like some light seal had frayed but unfortunately not. The blotch is big enough to cause trouble so I have to fix it.
08-19-2022, 06:59 AM   #9

Here is a picture of mine, in case anyone is interested. Its out of focus, but the tape on the top has deteriorated and the residue appears to dissolve the mirror coating, and it oozes into everything. The white area was all black, but I scraped that part away to see what was going on.
Attached Images