Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #1

645 Advice needed

Hi, I'm new here. I'm in Olympia Washington with a battery replacement problem. Having searched all the obvious places, I came up with naught.
I have an older 645, in which I'm trying to load fresh batteries. But the sticker/diagram in the battery holder is worn out, and that leaves about 10,000 options to try, none of which has been correct.
Is there a place where I can see the diagram, short of buying a new holder?
Thank you in advance for any direction to solve this minor but irritating problem

08-19-2022, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello Trish, welcome to the forums. I have moved your thread to the Medium Format forum for a better chance of getting your issue sorted.

Please make another thread to introduce yourself.
08-19-2022, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. Rookie mistake.
08-19-2022, 11:34 PM   #4
Closed Account

Most welcome, and not just rookies............

08-19-2022, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a manual?
Here is a scanned PDF of it,
https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_645.pdf
On page 6 there is an image of the holder with batteries visible. Looks like they alternate, positive and negative up, once you start, just keep following that around the holder.
08-20-2022, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hello Trish, welcome to the forums. I have moved your thread to the Medium Format forum ...
But you moved it to: Pentax Forum -> Digital Cameras -> Medium Format. It sounds like the OP has a film camera. There is no longer a specific medium format film section when someone rearranged the forum section catagories.
08-20-2022, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
But you moved it to: Pentax Forum -> Digital Cameras -> Medium Format. It sounds like the OP has a film camera. There is no longer a specific medium format film section when someone rearranged the forum section catagories.
Ooops...

Many thanks for noticing that, tuco. I will move it to Troubleshooting instead. See, we all make mistakes.

08-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Ooops...

Many thanks for noticing that, tuco. I will move it to Troubleshooting instead. See, we all make mistakes.
It is still a good section to move it to get noticed. But someone new would likely skip over it because it is now a digital section.
08-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the Medium Format forum ought to be disassociated with digital. There's a lot of back and forth between the film users and the digital users in the medium format area.
08-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trishdalton Quote
Is there a place where I can see the diagram, short of buying a new holder?
On Monday (in a couple days), Iʻll have access to my holder and can tell you exactly. In the meantime, another way of guessing is that the spring or any flexing metal contacts is usually the (-) negative side of the battery and any flat contacts are for the (+) positive side.

Do you have a volt meter or battery tester (or even a flash light that uses one or two batteries)? It is possible to short out or kill a battery if you had them mixed up going the wrong way for a certain amount of time. In other words, make sure that all your batteries are at least 1.5V, or else you could get the orientation correct but think you donʻt just because some of the batteries went bad.
08-20-2022, 10:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you Alex, that would be incredibly helpful. I have access to an online manual but it assumes I can read the sticker inside, and advises me to install according to the diagram. And I think that is entirely possible to have scrambled the batteries with incorrect placement. I sort of lost track of all of the combinations that I tried.
08-22-2022, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Alex, that would be incredibly helpful. I have access to an online manual but it assumes I can read the sticker inside, and advises me to install according to the diagram. And I think that is entirely possible to have scrambled the batteries with incorrect placement. I sort of lost track of all of the combinations that I tried.
If you take out your battery holder, hereʻs the orientation of the AA batteries:

Back grip section of the holder is to your left; right side of the battery holder:
Battery in front on the left, + is up. Battery in front on the right, + is down. Battery hidden in the center behind, + is up.

Back grip section of the holder is to your right; left side of the battery holder:
Battery in front on the left, + is down. Battery in front on the right, + is up. Battery hidden in the center behind, + is down.

Hope that makes sense.
08-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you take out your battery holder, hereʻs the orientation of the AA batteries:

Back grip section of the holder is to your left; right side of the battery holder:
Battery in front on the left, + is up. Battery in front on the right, + is down. Battery hidden in the center behind, + is up.

Back grip section of the holder is to your right; left side of the battery holder:
Battery in front on the left, + is down. Battery in front on the right, + is up. Battery hidden in the center behind, + is down.

Hope that makes sense.

Kind of, if you mean up&down relative to the spring contact, being " down "
Either way, thanks for taking the time to help.
08-24-2022, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of, if you mean up&down relative to the spring contact, being " down "
Either way, thanks for taking the time to help.
The spring contact would always be the "-" negative side of the battery. Because of the age, many folks have modified or altered their battery holders such that the spring contact has been replaced with something different. I tried to describe the orientation of the battery holder relative to the correct direction of all six batteries. If I wasnʻt so lazy, I should probably post about four photos to show this.
08-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The spring contact would always be the "-" negative side of the battery. Because of the age, many folks have modified or altered their battery holders such that the spring contact has been replaced with something different. I tried to describe the orientation of the battery holder relative to the correct direction of all six batteries. If I wasnʻt so lazy, I should probably post about four photos to show this.
Thank you Alex, I was able to correctly load them, and upgraded to Lithium too. So we're good to go. Thanks again for taking the time to diagram it for me.