Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #1

Problems with AF fine tuning

Hi all,
I'm hoping I could get a few opinions on the AF Fine Adjustment. I have been tinkering around now for about 2 hours and my eyes are going a bit wonky. From my perspective the lens looked like it was a bit forward in the focusing, so I went -1. That didn't seem to be correct, so the long process started. I keep going back to 0 and I seem to be happiest there. It seems to my eyes that perhaps no correction is need. I could be wrong because my eyes are shot from 2 hours of this process.

A little help?

Below is an image with no correction. What are your opinions?
ƒ/7.1 - 1/125

08-24-2022, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

I sympathise. I usually do it for a while, go cross-eyed and give up.
In this picture, I think the nearer "1" is sharper than the further "1", so yes, a little front-focussed.
08-24-2022, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

With this sort of test I find it useful to make a few "giant" steps, +/- 5 or 10, just to see how far that sort of adjustment takes me on the scale, before finally settling down to the nitty-gritty of the job.
I also find it useful to double check by setting the lens to closest focus and letting the camera re-focus, then set the lens to infinity and repeat the exercise.
This can show up any slack or leeway in the focussing, so's you know that whether you're focussing from distance to close-up or vice versa that the camera is settling at the same spot
08-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'm thinking I found the spot. Please let me know what you all think.

Below is minus 5 and minus 6. I am leaning towards minus 5. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

MINUS 5

MINUS 6

08-24-2022, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your aperture is set to f7.1, depth of field is going to skew your results. Your lens should be wide open or, at most, one stop down.
08-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
dlhawes

I hate those setups - the fuzzy stuff makes me crazy. I go outside and find a nice long fence and focus on a specific spot on the top of the railing, using a marker if necessary to make such a spot, take up a position at an angle thereto (it doesn't need to be 45 degrees, I prefer a more acute angle) and shoot from there. Then I use a photo viewer on the computer to blow up the pictures so I can see where the least-out-of-focus area is, and adjust to that.

As to that, most people try to find the spot that's in focus. I think that's the wrong approach. I look for areas on either side of the spot to find the edge or margin of the least-out-of-focus area, establishing two boundaries on either side of the most-in-focus-area. Then I make the adjustment to the center of the two boundaries.
08-24-2022, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another thing to consider is that AF adjustment done at close focus may not always be the same as needed for longer distances.
So after doing these adjustments the AF should be verified on other distances as well.

08-24-2022, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second vote for shooting these shots with the aperture wide open. You can also try the dot-tune method of AF fine adjustment, found on youtube.

---------- Post added 08-24-22 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Another thing to consider is that AF adjustment done at close focus may not always be the same as needed for longer distances.So after doing these adjustments the AF should be verified on other distances as well.
What's the rule of thumb for AF adjustment focus distance - 20X the lens focal length? For a 50mm lens set the chart 1000mm (1 meter) away. Others may recommend different multiplication factors.
08-24-2022, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
What's the rule of thumb for AF adjustment focus distance - 20X the lens focal length?

Pentax themselves quote 30-40x - 2m for a 50mm lens … see How to optimize focusing accuracy with large-aperture lenses / explore | RICOH IMAGING
08-24-2022, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I am going back to the drawing board and doing this wide open.
08-25-2022, 04:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to "Troubleshooting" sub-forum.
10-01-2022, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
I have been blocked out of the forum for some time. I discovered my firewall was blocking the server number. I just figured it out and I am back.

I reshot the scale wide open, and the results are the same. I used the lens at my setting of minus 5, and everything looks pretty good. Thanks all for the help and support, it's appreciated.