Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #1

Looking for help with lens adapters

Does anyone have any experience with lens adapters? I was recently gifted a whole bunch of Nikon F lenses and I was wondering if anyone has used the adapters? I know there are a lot out there but it's been difficult finding solid reviews so I figured where better to ask than within my Pentax family

Thanks, everyone.

08-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You'll find it isnt worth doing, the end result wont be near as good as using K mount lenses.
08-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You could probably buy an used Nikon and have more fun quickly. Otherwise you have to learn about registration distances and other unfortunate issues.
08-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If registration distance if lens is shorter than on camera adaptation is possible without additional optics: adapter just need to add some additional mm. Your case is different: Nikon F mount has registration distance 46.50 mm while K mount is 45.46 mm. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance). I do have one Nikon mount lens Carl Zeiss distagon 28mm adapted to pentax by @Fenwoodian but that very special case. You can ping him directly for advice to get more info.

08-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Leitax will provide a replacement lens mount Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras to use some Nikon F lenses on Pentax cameras.
Not cheap, so probably only worthwhile if you have some fairly esoteric glass.
Nikon lenses can be mounted directly, albeit not securely, to a Pentax camera and used like that, with care … again, probably only worthwhile if it's something a bit special and budget is tight.
08-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Secondhand Nikkormat and you're laughing. Then learn home processing and scanning . . . . .
08-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackporteratwork Quote
Does anyone have any experience with lens adapters? I was recently gifted a whole bunch of Nikon F lenses and I was wondering if anyone has used the adapters? I know there are a lot out there but it's been difficult finding solid reviews so I figured where better to ask than within my Pentax family

Thanks, everyone.
I have an adapter which allows me to mount Nikon F-mount lenses on a Pentax Q-mount camera, but that provides manual focus only and is a special case.
Pentax seems to have given up on the Q-mount nearly ten years ago, so those cameras seem to be available only on the used market these days.

08-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any adapter for Nikon to k mount will need to add glass and lose quality. They can still work, just not as well. Depending on your current lenses they could still be better and can still be fun.

You can also mount them directly to the camera by holding them in place. I don't think there is much choice out there for this particular adapter and probably all are about the same. Unless you have a real special Nikkor in the collection like a 600mm f/4 I wouldn't pay more than about $40.
08-26-2022, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adapters

I used Minolta cameras in the film era and I still have six 35 mm cameras bodies and 26 Minolta MD lenses. I found a "Fotodiox" adapter permitting the use of Minolta manual-focus lenses on my Pentax DSLRs. It has 2 or 3 glass elements to make infinity focus possible. I found wide-angles performed not too well but telephotos behave much better. I join a picture taken with my Pentax K1 FF digital on which I mounted my Minolta MD 100 mm f/4 MACRO + Fotodiox adapter. Results are excellent with longer lenses.