Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2022, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you cpobuttons, spot on! I did as you saId and after waiting what seemed like a while, the satellite icon at the top of the screen went from grey to white and taking a photo recorded the coords!

Presumably, there's a bug in the firmware that's causing the tools menu item to be greyed out?

I need not risk turning my phone on now! I can't remember what the tools menu "GPS settings" was supposed to display. If I can remember how to do it, I'll raise the query with Pentax and hope for a firmware update.

08-26-2022, 07:44 AM   #17

last bit of info...to achieve gps calibration in menu 4...be in bulb mode...
08-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
He might just want to use the GPS function not astrotracer...
From the manual I understand to be able to use the GPS you have to calibrate the unit and to do that you have to enable astrotracer and follow the steps there to calibrate. When GPS is built in like the K-3 Mark II you are forced to calibrate before being able to use GPS. But when an external unit is attached it needs to be calibrated before you can use it, according to the K-3 Mark III manual.
08-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
From the manual I understand to be able to use the GPS you have to calibrate the unit and to do that you have to enable astrotracer and follow the steps there to calibrate. When GPS is built in like the K-3 Mark II you are forced to calibrate before being able to use GPS. But when an external unit is attached it needs to be calibrated before you can use it, according to the K-3 Mark III manual.
Precise calibration is in the Astrotracer menu but normal GPS calibration is in a GPS Settings menu. I wouldn't expect to need to enter the Astrotracer menu unless I was using it. The manual seems to suggest calibration using the GPS Settings menu is enough.

08-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
The manual seems to suggest calibration using the GPS Settings menu is enough.
Which manual? That of the O-gps1 or the camera? For GPS settings the K-3-3 manual refers you to page 121....
08-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Which manual? That of the O-gps1 or the camera? For GPS settings the K-3-3 manual refers you to page 121....
The K3-3 manual. Page 121 as you say.Name:  Screenshot_20220826-184041.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  120.5 KB

08-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Try aiplane mode. A quick 'net search indicates (unaided) GPS still works if the phone is in airplane mode.

I am a relatively recent user of a smart phone, so I don't know if you will get some kind of charge for call/text attempts even if in airplane mode.

Uncle Vanya beat me to it!
Airplane mode blocks all radio signals to avoid interference to the airplane electronics. So your phone can not send nor receive : hence no calls, no data, no sms/text, so it can not even attempt to do something on the mobile network that would generate charges....
There is one exception possible in airplane mode : Bluetooth or wifi can be switched on manually so you can connect headset and listen music in airplane, at least, provided the music is stored on your phone and not online in a streaming service of course.... Bluetooth is not charged, it is local, not connected to your network provider. WiFi might be used to connect to the ?mostly paying? WiFi service in airplane... most airlines ask to stop WiFi and Bluetooth during take-off and landing but allow during flight.
You can indeed use airplane mode abroad to block paying services, but still use you wifi ( like on hotel wifi) or Bluetooth and gps to your camera...
Without data connection, the phone gps might take several minutes to find new location, as most phones use assisted gps : the first location is calculated with external help , hence data connection. Smaller changes of location are quicker and rely less on external help. It will work without assistance, but the gps chip needs much more time to interprete gps signals. So your first picture after image sync might take time.

Most phones allow data roaming to be blocked, to avoid roaming data charges. But still use voice or txt sms messages. In android , settings , search for ’roaming’.

Another trick:
Use callforward unconditional to your voicemail service. Effect is similar to switching phone off for incoming(receiving) calls, they will go immediately to voice mail. Your voice mail might send txt sms to notify you who tried to call you. But txt costs are bearable... . You can still make calls or send/recieve sms txt with this setting.
Some networks allow to activate this from their website (your account site) or use:

Dial **21*1+PhoneNumber# and green button to send, this turns on unconditional forwarding (CFU) to a number (use voice mail number, sometimes called direct deposit number).
##21# Turn off unconditional forwarding.

Ideally you do and test this before you leave, even the activation with **21*1 needs to be paid for. Note that phone numbers should be in full using +CC (country code) full number.

One can also use the do not disturb or night function of the phone to avoid incoming calls/ ringing.

---------- Post added 08-26-22 at 01:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
I just mounted the o-gps 1 to my K3-3 and tested it and in the tools menu the gps is also greyed out. But if you mount the gps to your camera turn it on and wait until the camera indicates the gps is tracking take a photo and review it you should see the icon on the left hand middle of the screen indicating gps data recorded...
If you changed continents, the gps unit might need a few minutes to find out it's new location..? Maybe the camera waiits for this.

08-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your submissions. GPS now working OK despite the greyed out entry in the menu. I can holiday in relaxed mode, knowing that I'll know where every shot was taken when I'm back home! I also know how to avoid charges on my mobile phone! What a great forum this is.😎
08-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #24

I just put my O-GPS1 on my K-3 iii. One annoying thing that Pentax did is they grey-out menu settings if they think are not “relevant” based on other camera settings.

So on the K-3 iii, you can only access the GPS Settings (to do normal calibration) if you are in Bulb mode AND Astrotracer is set to Type 1 or Type 2. (If you are using Astrotracer with the Type 3 setting, the GPS is not used, so the calibration menus are greyed-out.)

While you should get GPS coordinates and elevation data without doing a calibration, the direction and angle of inclination are probably more accurate if you calibrate,

So if you want to calibrate the GPS, put the O-GPS1 on the K-3iii and turn on the GPS. Put the camera in Bulb mode. Go to the Astrotracer setting under menu 4 on Shooting Settings and select Astrotracer Type 1 or Type 2. Then you can either do a precise calibration under the Astrotracer menu or a normal calibration under the GPS Settings in menu 4 under Setup. Once you are calibrated, then you can leave Bulb mode and shoot whatever exposure mode you want. (FYI-At the end of calibration, don’t forget to hit OK to save the calibration settings!)

Enjoy your trip!
08-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Astrotracer is off on my K-3iii. I had no problem doing the calibration from the GPS setting menu. In the Astrotracer menu there is a separate fine calibration for Astrotracer function. GPS may be turned on or not depending on which mode you select. This is the first I have heard of using bulb mode with GPS. If you are just using GPS for location info there is no need for Bulb mode to do the calibration..
08-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Astrotracer is off on my K-3iii. I had no problem doing the calibration from the GPS setting menu. In the Astrotracer menu there is a separate fine calibration for Astrotracer function. GPS may be turned on or not depending on which mode you select. This is the first I have heard of using bulb mode with GPS. If you are just using GPS for location info there is no need for Bulb mode to do the calibration..
are you saying that in menu 4 GPS Settings is not greyed out and is available as long as the O-GPS is on and tracking?
08-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, when the 0GPS1 or 2 is attached the greyed out disappears. You then need to calibrate and the tracking begins. Once calibrated it is not necessary to repeat unless hardware changes.
08-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #28

I did not starting to have problems with the greyed-out GPS menus until firmware update V1.41, which added the Astrotracer Type 3 setting. So it depends on what version of the K-3 iii firmware you have….
08-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have 1.50 now. I think Bulb mode is only needed if you are using Astrotracer with the new Astrotracer software.
08-29-2022, 12:05 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Reading the last two inputs, it appears that the 1.50 firmware update may remove the greyed out GPS entry. I'm on 1.41, so I'll update when I'm home again. This must be one of the miscellaneous changes not documented in the firmware update blurb?

---------- Post added 08-29-22 at 12:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
Reading the last two inputs, it appears that the 1.50 firmware update may remove the greyed out GPS entry. I'm on 1.41, so I'll update when I'm home again. This must be one of the miscellaneous changes not documented in the firmware update blurb?
Reading my entry above, I'm not sure why, but on my android tablet the word "blurb" has become a hyperlink to somewhere. That wasn't my intention.