Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2022, 01:28 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 87
Problem with O-GPS1 on K3-3

I'm on holiday in India - first long trip since the Covid lock-down - so I took my GPS unit with me. When I fitted it to my K3-3 the camera didn't recognise that it was fitted. I've switched things on and off, fitted a new battery in the GPS, but no response. The GPS seems to be working - when I turn it on, the blue light blinks for a while, then goes solid blue.

The GPS menu item under Setup in the camera menu is greyed out.

I can't test the GPS till I get home, but in the meantime, am I missing something simple? Has anyone else had any problem using the GPS with a K3-3? [I'm not sure I've ever used my GPS with my K3-3 before, since Covid stopped me going anywhere with it!]

Any help appreciated.


Last edited by longbo; 08-26-2022 at 03:29 AM.
08-26-2022, 01:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian
AfterPentax Mark II's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,175
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
I'm on holiday in India - first long trip since the Covid lock-down - so I took my GPS unit with me. When I fitted it to my K3-3 the camera didn't recognise that it was fitted. I've switched things on and off, fitted a new battery in the GPS, but no response. The GPS seems to be working - when I turn it on, the blue light blinks for a while, then goes solid blue.

The GPS menu item under Setup in the camera menu is greyed out.

I can't test the GPS till I get home, but in the meantime, am I missing something simple? Has anyone else had any problem using the GPS with a K3-3? [I'm not sure I've ever used my HPS with my K3-3 before, since Civid stopped me going anywhere with it!]

Any help appreciated.
Did you select Astrotracer in menu 4 to make it work?
08-26-2022, 02:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vilnius
Posts: 830
You can even do not use OGPS-1 because K-3 m3 supports GPS-less astrotracer function after firmware update.
08-26-2022, 02:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,865
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Did you select Astrotracer in menu 4 to make it work?
He might just want to use the GPS function not astrotracer...



08-26-2022, 03:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 87
Original Poster
Hi thanks for the replies.

Yes, Slartibartfast01 is right, I just wanted the GPS function so I know the locations of my shots when I get home with hundreds.

The menu does allow me to select any of the astrotracer options, but of course only the final option, which doesn't require GPS, would work. The other options say "enable GPS", so I'm assuming the camera expects to work with GPS if required.
08-26-2022, 03:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,865
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
Hi thanks for the replies.



Yes, Slartibartfast01 is right, I just wanted the GPS function so I know the locations of my shots when I get home with hundreds.



The menu does allow me to select any of the astrotracer options, but of course only the final option, which doesn't require GPS, would work. The other options say "enable GPS", so I'm assuming the camera expects to work with GPS if required.
Is the GPS unit properly attached to the hot shoe?

08-26-2022, 03:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 87
Original Poster
Yes, as far as I can tell. I've taken it on and off and reseated it several times, with no effect.

08-26-2022, 03:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,865
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
Yes, as far as I can tell. I've taken it on and off and reseated it several times, with no effect.
It should just work. Have you engaged the contacts with the lever? I can't think of anything else.

08-26-2022, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,135
You have two devices supposed to work together.

Is the GPS unit not working?

Or the camera GPS function not working?
How to know?
- Try GPS with another camera.
- Try camera with another GPS.
08-26-2022, 05:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 87
Original Poster
Thanks. I can definitely try the GPS with another camera, but not until I get home. I don't have access to another GPS, so unless I'm lucky enough to meet a fellow Pentaxian on my travels, I'm stuck atm.

I had just hoped there was something daft that I was missing - it would be annoying to get home and I could have had it working, if only!

It begins to look as though there's nothing I can do at the moment. I'm on firmware 1.41 - can anyone confirm that the GPS definitely works with a K3-3 with that firmware version, please?
08-26-2022, 05:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,795
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote

Any help appreciated.
Use your smartphone and image sync app. You can sync the gps data over Bluetooth - at least thatís what has been reported by others.

K3-III and GPS question: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Itís not without some headaches and complexities but it is a partial solution and maybe the only one you have while on the trip.
08-26-2022, 06:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 87
Original Poster
Thanks Uncle Vanya. Yes that definitely does work, I've used it at home and you get the GPS coords when you use Imagesync.

I try to avoid turning my phone on when I'm somewhere like India, to avoid unnecessary roaming charges when I get unwanted calls or texts!
08-26-2022, 06:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,795
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
Thanks Uncle Vanya. Yes that definitely does work, I've used it at home and you get the GPS coords when you use Imagesync.

I try to avoid turning my phone on when I'm somewhere like India, to avoid unnecessary roaming charges when I get unwanted calls or texts!
You may be able to turn on airplane mode, then enable Bluetooth and cellular data and turn cellular back off after it gets GPS assist. Then disable it, and only enable it again when your in a new location.
08-26-2022, 06:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 1,394
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
I try to avoid turning my phone on when I'm somewhere like India, to avoid unnecessary roaming charges when I get unwanted calls or texts!
Try aiplane mode. A quick 'net search indicates (unaided) GPS still works if the phone is in airplane mode.

I am a relatively recent user of a smart phone, so I don't know if you will get some kind of charge for call/text attempts even if in airplane mode.

Uncle Vanya beat me to it!
08-26-2022, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norwich, Ct
Posts: 138
I just mounted the o-gps 1 to my K3-3 and tested it and in the tools menu the gps is also greyed out. But if you mount the gps to your camera turn it on and wait until the camera indicates the gps is tracking take a photo and review it you should see the icon on the left hand middle of the screen indicating gps data recorded...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
airplane, bluetooth, blurb, camera, changes, data, entry, firmware, gps, home, inputs, k3-3, location, menu, mode, pentax help, phone, photography, post, troubleshooting, voice, wifi, word
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Astro O-GPS1 + K3 + Dobsonian ??? no694terry Photographic Technique 12 11-20-2020 09:08 AM
No electronic compass option in GPS menu on K3 with O-GPS1 average joe Visitors' Center 2 10-17-2016 02:27 PM
Pentax O-GPS1 vs K3 ii Danaher Dempsey Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 01-21-2016 07:34 PM
K5 + O-GPS1 + DA* 16-50mm problem PointClick Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 9 09-15-2011 11:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top