Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2022, 03:28 AM   #1

K-5 green mode white balance stuck on "cloudy"

Is there a setting for the white balance on green mode? I'm pretty sure this used to be on "AWB" for my previous Pentax cameras (K-5 and K-3). I've just bought a used K-5, and the green mode WB (as seen in Info after taking the shot) is on "Cloudy", which makes the picture a lot more yellow.

If I go to P mode I can obviously select the white balance, but I'd love to be able to use the green mode as well.

08-29-2022, 03:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cailleach Quote
Is there a setting for the white balance on green mode? I'm pretty sure this used to be on "AWB" for my previous Pentax cameras (K-5 and K-3). I've just bought a used K-5, and the green mode WB (as seen in Info after taking the shot) is on "Cloudy", which makes the picture a lot more yellow.

If I go to P mode I can obviously select the white balance, but I'd love to be able to use the green mode as well.
In the green mode the WB is set to AWB and cannot be changed. I guess the camera thinks Cloudy is the appropriate setting for your image. Can you post the image in question ?
08-29-2022, 04:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's fairly straight-forward to change the white balance in a picture you've taken if you use the supplied Digital Camera Utility software … in "Laboratory" choose the White Balance tab, click on Override and choose the setting you want
Working with a RAW file rather than a JPG may give even better results, but RAW isn't available as an option in Green Mode, so not relevant here

Last edited by kypfer; 08-29-2022 at 04:15 AM.
08-29-2022, 05:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Example image

I attached an image, hope it works despite the forum's automatic resizing.
It's not limited to this picture. It's the same with any image I take, in- or outdoors.
I can both verify it's the "Cloudy" setting by looking at the (expanded) picture Info on the camera in the gallery (gives a cloud icon where "AWB" should be), and by actually selecting AWB/Cloudy in a different mode with the same ISO etc.

I really feel like this is a "bug" in the camera's software, because I haven't found the setting.

On the bright side, I just decided do a "Reset" in the settings, and this has actually solved it, I'm back to AWB on green mode. Would still be interested to know where this backdoor to the green mode settings is.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-29-2022, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One possible cause is that the cameras firmware has been updated without a reset of all settings to default before or after the update.
There is a risk of something like this can happen if updating firmware.
08-29-2022, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I attached an image
Thank you for that.

I just decided do a "Reset" in the settings, and this has actually solved it, I'm back to AWB on green mode. Would still be interested to know where this backdoor to the green mode settings is
How very intriguing. Perhaps Fogel70 is correct, a firmware update changed the default WB in green mode to cloudy. It would be interesting to hear if any other K5 users have experienced this.

ps welcome to the forum.
08-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It may well be a firmware issue that has been fixed in later releases.
The image was taken with firmware v1.01, according to the EXIF, the current firmware is v1.16, available here Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

08-29-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
In the green mode the WB is set to AWB and cannot be changed. I guess the camera thinks Cloudy is the appropriate setting for your image. Can you post the image in question ?
This is correct. You have no control over white balance as well as much else.

---------- Post added 08-29-22 at 02:21 PM ----------

but I'd love to be able to use the green mode as well.
Why?? This mode disables most controls as well as denying access to adjustments. It also chooses from the variety of Custom Image processing, as it "sees" the scene before you, and "thinks" it knows what it is. This mode is primarily useful when wanting to curtail access to controls, etc. as when handing the camera to some novice to take a photo with you in it, so they will not inadvertently nudge a control and thus ruin the shot.

The "P" mode provides fully automated setting of aperture and shutter speed for proper exposure, yet access to controls and adjustments, including the exclusive Pentax Hyper System being available- where you can instantly override the camera's choices, and select your own preferences, just by selecting your preference using the front finger dial or rear thumb dial.

Selecting your preferences for white balance, and numerous other matters is then also available and quite easy with the K-5. I still have my original K-5 as well as the K-5 IIs. This adjustability includes the Custom Image processing options. The "Bright" category most often brings the best results for most scenes, therefore is usually set by default, but this also is a matter of individual preference. You can also go into each category to adjust parameters to tweak its output. I recommend doing so involving sharpening. Using the "Bright" category as best example (accessed via the button to the right of the OK button- then the 4 buttons around the OK button are for navigation and adjustments), tab down to the Sharpening adjustments. In the"Bright" category, the Sharpening level is up by one notch to +1 and shown in green as normal for this category. With the K-5 or K-5 IIs, I advance the level up by one more notch to +2. Then I also implement "Fine Sharpening" using the rear thumb dial for even better fine detail in images. Then hit the OK button and shut off the camera- you are done. When you turn it back on, you'll be back to normal screens. This should bring optimum results from highest quality JPEG images right out of the camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-29-2022 at 02:34 PM.