Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need help identifying lens in picture

Hello, someone on a local sell forum has posted a picture with some pentax lenses on it and I need some assistance guessing what the middle lens is. The guy has this stuff in storage and doesn't know what it is and isn't willing to check what it is unless I go with him (annoying I know). I'm looking for a faster lens and this seems to be a prime thats slightly bigger so this might be something I'm looking for. Also yes I know the image isn't very high resolution, but it's all thats on the post.

Cheers

Attached Images

08-30-2022, 08:33 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't tell from the photo, but it looks "most" like a 50mm F1.7 lens. But, I'm not sure that that's what it is. I'm only saying that based upon the focus ring knurling.
It looks quite dirty though, so I'd worry about fungus, etc.

My advice would be: If the seller can't be bothered to actually tell you what he's selling, unless if he's practically giving the stuff away, avoid.
08-30-2022, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Mark says avoid. I don’t think it is faster than 2.8. It looks to me like the f stops are 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 etc. I would guess a Tokina EL 28/2.8:

Tokina EL 28mm f2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

But that’s a seriously wild guess.
08-30-2022, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Mark

If unloved lenses are packed away in storage without due care it is likely they are riddled with fungus. If the lens is a M 50mm 1.7 (which I think it is) you can pick up clean examples for peanuts on ebay.

I did once buy a "job lot" like this because it contained a rare lens. I binned half of the other lenses because the cost of cleaning would have outweighed the value.

Last edited by pschlute; 08-31-2022 at 12:53 AM.
08-31-2022, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing a Vivitar 28/2.8 and 80-200/4.5. This was a common pair of cheap lenses to go with the 50mm purchased with the camera.

08-31-2022, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On looking again I don't think the prime lens is a Pentax at all. No white plastic lens mount guide on it.
08-31-2022, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
On looking again I don't think the prime lens is a Pentax at all. No white plastic lens mount guide on it.
Exactly why I said Tokina… the slope angle on the front near the filter is also the wrong shape.

08-31-2022, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

+1 that the middle lens is filthy and has high risk of fungus. Save yourself the trip to inspect it unless the seller is selling for very cheap.

The knobby grip on the other lens to the left looks like it's decomposing. That doesn't affect lens operation but depending on how bad it could be a sticky mess to use. You may need to cut the grip off and rewrap the barrel with grip tape.
08-31-2022, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am thinking a Tokina 28mm is not a bad guess considering how common they are.
It appears to have a uv filter in place. That often protects the lens that is stored in a less than desirable spot but can also trap and enhance exist fungus problems. Many times you can pick up a horrid looking lens, remove the filter and there is a pristine lens under there
If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt then go for it. Ignore these doomsayers.
The trick is if it was a great catch come back and tell us - otherwise stay quiet
A final note - the existence of a PK lenscap doesn't mean it is necessarily K mount.
08-31-2022, 04:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
A final note - the existence of a PK lenscap doesn't mean it is necessarily K mount.
Amen. The k mount cap will actually fit several other lenses - and it could just be an accessory unrelated to the lenses.
09-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I am thinking a Tokina 28mm is not a bad guess considering how common they are.
It appears to have a uv filter in place. That often protects the lens that is stored in a less than desirable spot but can also trap and enhance exist fungus problems. Many times you can pick up a horrid looking lens, remove the filter and there is a pristine lens under there
If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt then go for it. Ignore these doomsayers.
The trick is if it was a great catch come back and tell us - otherwise stay quiet
Oh yea for sure, when I bought a laowa 9mm for my m50 the seller put a nikon f rearcap on it for some reason lol.
09-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Like Mark says avoid. I don’t think it is faster than 2.8. It looks to me like the f stops are 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 etc. I would guess a Tokina EL 28/2.8:

Tokina EL 28mm f2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

But that’s a seriously wild guess.
Yea fair enough, based on the replies if it's a 50mm 1.7 I don't care since I already have a really good one and if its a 28mm I also don't care since I have the pentax 28mm 2.8 in good condition. Looks like I'll just skip this guy entirely. I was hoping it was something like a 50mm 1.4 that I didn't recognise but in hindsight I think it's a little big bigger then the lens in the picture is.
09-02-2022, 09:02 PM   #13
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueJayCom Quote
Yea fair enough, based on the replies if it's a 50mm 1.7 I don't care since I already have a really good one and if its a 28mm I also don't care since I have the pentax 28mm 2.8 in good condition. Looks like I'll just skip this guy entirely. I was hoping it was something like a 50mm 1.4 that I didn't recognise but in hindsight I think it's a little big bigger then the lens in the picture is.
The way I see it is the most likely way you could luck in is that it could turn out to be a 24mm or a 35mm - they can all look similar.
The other way you could be a winner is that awesome photo you took going to his place!
And also that spottie with an 8 element 50 that was also sitting there that he had forgotten about?
Y'just never know!!
09-03-2022, 02:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would guess a Tokina EL 28/2.8
The picture of that Tokina lens in the PF review shows it to have four rows of knobbles on the rubber focussing ring, but the lens the OP pictured has only two rows. Also, the filter on the OP's lens seems to say 49mm (or 48?) on it and the Tokina uses 52mm.

AFAIK no Pentax lens of that era, other than the 40mm pancake, had less than three rows of knobbles http://www.lucan.org.uk/Images/IMGP6726_is.jpeg, and the M 50mm F1.4 had four.
09-03-2022, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The picture of that Tokina lens in the PF review shows it to have four rows of knobbles on the rubber focussing ring, but the lens the OP pictured has only two rows. Also, the filter on the OP's lens seems to say 49mm (or 48?) on it and the Tokina uses 52mm.

AFAIK no Pentax lens of that era, other than the 40mm pancake, had less than three rows of knobbles http://www.lucan.org.uk/Images/IMGP6726_is.jpeg, and the M 50mm F1.4 had four.
Yes the nearest I could find here is a 3 row Tokina 24mm 2.8 Kmount A series.