Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

This is regarding a Pentax K-30

This Pentex K-30 belongs to my nephew, in auto focus the pictures are showing up really dark in all other settings as well. He said he changed camera back to factory settings, but did not clear problem. Hope I am explaining this well. Anyway would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

09-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaryLouise Quote
This Pentex K-30 belongs to my nephew, in auto focus the pictures are showing up really dark in all other settings as well. He said he changed camera back to factory settings, but did not clear problem. Hope I am explaining this well. Anyway would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
Probably the ‘ABF’ - what I call the “Dark Image Syndrome”.
There are many discussions about it at the K-30/50 section,
or maybe @photogem will stop by and explain it.
09-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Assuming you can handle some theory, the following would a good start
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
09-01-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is also a nice guide on how to diagnose this problem here:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

If this turns out to be it, you can continue using the camera with certain manual lenses, or you can get it repaired either in a service center or using the linked DIY method.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2022, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 99% of all cases when pictures are dark (extremly underexposed) it is ABF, i.e. a stuck solenoid.
This isn't just with AF (Auto-Focus) but manual focus as well!

I guess your nephew means Auto-Mode, i.e. the mode-selector is on the green A

If he just uses Auto-Mode but no TA, Tv or TAv (or P) then he might want to find out how to use TA, because knowing how to take pics in TA is necessary to be 100% sure about ABF.... 99% I am already, so the 1% might not matter really.

For how to find out 100% Adam gave you already the link.

Basically any photo taken wide open or with a relative open lens-aperture is now going to be dark
and those pics with a fully closed lens (for example f22) will be fine because then the solenoid isn't in action.
A photo taken with f16 is kind of alright and often for a relative short time if shot with Live-View.

If anybody you know feels up to some DIY, this is the route to go then:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

If he has his K30 repaired it will even work better than before. But then he might want to learn other modes,
he can start with P-mode which is similar to A but can then one uses override in TA or Tv, i.e. changes aperture
or exposure-time accoridng to one's needs.

If this is too complex, then to use at least SCN-Mode which is still much better than Auto!

With the K5-series or K3-series he can't do SCN; those are not made for Auto-modes but lets call it professional modes.
Also the K5-Series doesn't accept the wonderful DA55-300PLM lens which can be used with the K30 even with stuck solenoid.
Of course, using the PLM means limitation: Only 55mm upwards though.

Last edited by photogem; 09-02-2022 at 09:13 PM.
09-02-2022, 03:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This happened to my daughter's K-30, so I replaced it with a K-5 purchased here on the PF marketplace.
If your nephew really likes using a DSLR, and especially if he has a few Pentax lenses, I recommend checking out the listings of used K3 or K5 series cameras here on the Marketplace. Both series of cameras are very durable and produce fantastic images, and many are available for only a few hundred dollars. I've two used camera bodies and multiple lenses here on PF and never had an issue with anything.
09-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Before my K-30’s body’s control of the aperture failed, I had purchased a “FA 28-105”, a film era lens which allowed me to control the aperture at the lens, but still provided AF. With the K-30, I use various film-era lenses, which allow me to set the aperture at the lens; most are manual focus: Takumars, a few “Pentax-M” and “Pentax-A”, a few lenses by other companies. I could have gone ‘for ever’ that way, but then I got a good deal on a KP. These days, I use the K-30 mostly for flash photography, although today {seven years after I got the K-30, almost four years after I got the KP}, I still use both cameras, and I still have taken more shots with the K-30 than with the KP.