Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #1

Wide angle for internal room shots for website

Hi. Newbie looking for a lens to fit old K5. Would like to take interior room shots for my holiday let website. Would need to be a lens that can be corrected through Affinity. Can anyone suggest anything that might suit, please?

09-06-2022, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Samyang 14mm f2.8 is my first thought. Make sure you get a good copy (this stands for any lens but especially Samyang's).

For the money it's going to be hard to top this lens, especially if you want to buy new only.
09-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Irix 15mm. Negligible correction required on full frame when I used it for real estate commissions. Should think it would be good on smaller sensor. Buy second hand and re-sell ...
09-06-2022, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dougj Quote
Hi. Newbie looking for a lens to fit old K5. Would like to take interior room shots for my holiday let website. Would need to be a lens that can be corrected through Affinity. Can anyone suggest anything that might suit, please?
I use the Rokinon (Samyang) 10mm on my K-5 and K-01. It’s sharp wide open with minimal chromatic aberration. Here’s a photo I took yesterday in low light, handheld at f/2.8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone13,2  Photo 
09-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Maybe you can also use a lens that is not so wide (converging/diverging lines less severe), shoot multiple shots in portrait orientation and stitch them together with software to get more field of view.
09-06-2022, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest one of the Sigma 10-20. Early screw drive AF versions are the cheapest. Zoom gives more flexibility in composition and for website you aren't looking for super sharp across the whole frame. If you find you get hooked on UWA photography then explore the more expensive/better options.
09-06-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that samyang & irix are manual focus, Sigma autofocus. Not sure what you prefer.
Albeit mf might be easier for composition/focus in certain situations on ultra wide...

09-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Note that samyang & irix are manual focus, Sigma autofocus. Not sure what you prefer.
Albeit mf might be easier for composition/focus in certain situations on ultra wide...
I think that autofocus on ultra wide angle lenses is a superfluous feature. They already have a very deep depth of field. Set the lens to the hyperfocal distance for a given aperture using the scale and you’re set with everything in focus.
09-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Not really sure what "corrected through Affinity" means, but I'll give another vote for the Sigma 10-20mm … works for me
09-06-2022, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Genuine Pentax DA 12-24 mm f/4 AL gives me good results on my K3 III ...

09-06-2022, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If your budget will take it, the DA*11-18 is very well corrected and offers a useful focal range for architecture. It has the older KAF3 mount, so it will work fine on your K-5.

A positive spinoff is you would also gain a superb weather sealed landscape lens
09-07-2022, 01:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Genuine Pentax DA 12-24 mm f/4 AL gives me good results on my K3 III ...
I agree. This is one of my favorite lenses to use on interiors. I've used it on everything from the K200D to the KP. I find the images for interiors very acceptable, often straight out of the camera.

Find one used for a good buy. I believe there was one in the marketplace recently. (Nope, not mine!)
09-07-2022, 01:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
I think that autofocus on ultra wide angle lenses is a superfluous feature. They already have a very deep depth of field. Set the lens to the hyperfocal distance for a given aperture using the scale and you’re set with everything in focus.
True for landscape to get focus from quite near to infinity.
But for interiors, you might want to focus more nearby and less towards infinity... after all most interiors are less than 5..8 meters and you want also the first meter(s) sharp...
The optimal setting is probably below hyperfocal distance .
09-08-2022, 03:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
True for landscape to get focus from quite near to infinity.
But for interiors, you might want to focus more nearby and less towards infinity... after all most interiors are less than 5..8 meters and you want also the first meter(s) sharp...
The optimal setting is probably below hyperfocal distance .
I agree with you, but autofocus is still superfluous.

If the optimal setting is below the hyperfocal distance in a given use case, then use the distance scale on the lens to manually set the lens focus to cover the depth you need at a given aperture.

The best practice is to turn off your autofocus (if equipped with it) and manually check focus using the scale for critical shots.
09-09-2022, 04:09 AM   #15

Original Poster
I have Affinity post processing software which has filters that can add some correction to distortion by named lenses, so looking for lens that will be listed there.