Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #1

Pentar k chrome

Hey guys I recently purchased a pentar k chrome thats right a pentaR with an r, Can anyone give me any information about this camera.

09-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax for the South African market
09-07-2022, 10:33 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

First of all, welcome! That is indeed a rare and lovely camera. From what I have read over the years, the original Pentax name belonged to a German company: Pentacon. While some sources say Asahi Optical bought the name, it seems that was not exactly the case, or at least not straightforward. After World War II, it seems one of the international sanctions to Germany was the opening and release of patents and copyrights. So the name "Pentax" was used by the Asahi Optical Company in 1957. However, it seems South Africa and possibly Finland (maybe other countries but I haven't found), still recognized the pre-war copyrights. So the Asahi Optical Company labeled some of their products as Pentar, Penta or Asahiflex for these markets. It seems this apply to S, K and S2(H2) models.
I can't confirm this to be 100% accurate. But that's what I have gathered over the years reading about this topic.

**EDIT** I have been researching a bit more about this and it seems it was not a case of sanctions, but more of trademarks dispute. After the war, Zeiss Ikon was split into 2 companies: One in East Germany and the other in West Germany. They had trademark and copyright disputes. The name "Pentax" was retained by the West German company and subsequently sold or negotiated to the Asahi Optical Company. But the East German company, which eventually became part of Pentacon, kept using the name. There is a thread elsewhere in this forum about an early 1960's cine projector named Pentax, but with the Pentacon logo and no relationship to Asahi Optical Company. So they ignored the ruling in favor of the West German company. How or why South Africa (and possibly others) recognized it as still owned by Pentacon is a whole other story, but it was enough to make AOC use a different name for that market.
Convoluted and interesting!

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 09-12-2022 at 06:02 PM.
09-07-2022, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quick Google turned this up:
https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Asahi/Pentar-S.html
Likely more out there,

09-08-2022, 06:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hey Ive got an update the camera does not appear to be a k or s camera and it has no markings on top like the original asahi pentax it also shares the exact same design feautures as the original pentax. But I could not find any information on the camera. Does anyone have any knowledge about this camera.
09-08-2022, 07:23 AM   #6

Please post photos of the camera in question.
09-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Pictures will be helpful in determining it. If it has the auto diaphragm pin pushing bar and a low speed dial up front it is a K. If it has the 2 posts for it but lacking the bar, and the shutter dial speeds are 500, 250, 125, 60, 30, 15, 8, 4, 2 and 1 it is most likely an S model. The original AP had no provision for the pushbar and the speeds were 500, 200, 100, 50, 25, 10, 5, 2 and 1.
From the S2 (H2) forward, all speeds were in a single dial.

Thanks,
Ismael

09-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Pentar that has no marks (looks like an AP), no pushbar but the speeds of an S
09-14-2022, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply
Attached Images

Last edited by Kyle Botha; 09-15-2022 at 06:31 AM.
09-14-2022, 10:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kyle Botha Quote
Sorry for the late reply
No images Kyle. Use the "Manage Attachments" button in the edit view to try again
09-16-2022, 01:21 AM   #11

According to this website, the K models are the first Asahi cameras with a shutter speed of 1/1000th sec. Possibly K for Kilo. And the K models have more black and less silver on rewind and winding knobs.

The PENTAX labeled bodies also have an "S" or "K" below the serial number. This may not be the case with PENTAR labels.

Asahi Pentax 1957-64 - www.pentax-slr.com

I would guess it is either an "AP" or "S" model. The give-away would be whether or not the two posts are in the mirror box. Given the serial number and shutter speeds I would lean towards an "S".