Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2022, 06:43 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 38: In Camera Lens Corrections

Good morning all, my conclusion about single life was that dating was collecting information about someone until you realized you didn't like them.

As your Pentax Love Guru, Uncle Ian has plenty of relationship advice ...

Ladies, Tinder is the best place to find a husband.

Sure, it's someone else's husband, but there are a lot of husbands on there.

Guys, why do you go to bars to meet women? Go to Target instead.

The female to male ratio is 10 to 1 and they're already looking for things they don't need.

This week I want to talk about in-body lens corrections.

I generally shoot RAW and bother to develop them and do corrections and adjustments myself in Lightroom to my liking, but not everyone works that way. Some want as much as possible to happen in the camera and end up with a JPG on which they will do little or no postprocessing.

If someone doesn't mind that the camera will be slower to take pictures than normal, its processor can brighten edges of the JPG to correct and darkening due to vignetting, stretch the image and crop slightly to correct distortion (especially in wider lenses), correct the softening caused by shooting at narrow apertures (compensating for diffraction) and attempt to remove chromatic aberration like the green and purple edges seen in the picture below from Image Resource's review of the K-3 'back in the day'.

You can find 'Lens Correction' in the menu of your camera. It works with DA and DFA lenses, and some FA lenses like the Limiteds. The RAW file if you take it isn't affected, just the JPG.

There's no control over how much correction is applied - maybe not enough is done for a particular scene, maybe too much - so that's why personally I prefer to do it myself afterwards in software, but I understand others are happy to let a camera algorithm attempt to automate the process. I trust it about as much as I trust the algorithm that puts the ads in my Facebok feed. 🙂

To finish with, there's the story of the man who walks up to a beautiful young woman and asks: "Where have you been all my life?"

She looks at him up and down, and replies: "Well, for the first half I wasn't born."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

Picture attribution: Pentax K-3 Review - Optics

09-09-2022, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they actually have Target in Melbourne?

Thanks for another good tip and some good laughs along with it. Cheers!
09-09-2022, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Once again, Entertaining and Enlightening.
09-10-2022, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Guys, why do you go to bars to meet women? Go to Target instead.

The female to male ratio is 10 to 1 and they're already looking for things they don't need.
Ha ha, you made me laugh!

09-10-2022, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clackers, you are a treasure!
09-10-2022, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Do they actually have Target in Melbourne?
!
Yes, though it is unrelated to the US corporation. Similar store type though.
09-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Once again, Entertaining and Enlightening.
Thanks, RB!

09-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Clackers, you are a treasure!
'Trash or Treasure' is always the question, Mike!