Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2022, 05:06 PM   #1

Oddly specific problem, no idea what to do, help! (K70)

Have a K-70, an 18-135mm WR lens, and a 21mm AL Limited lens.

Here's the problem: when I use the 21mm lens, the camera works perfectly. No problems. With no lens, it works perfectly as well, in that it powers on and I can navigate the menus.

When I use the 18-135mm, two things happen:
1. autofocus is disabled completely, the lens will only shoot in manual (regardless of the switch on the camera body) and
2. the camera lags -- I don't mean shutter lag, I mean when I flip the switch to turn the power on, it takes a few seconds to light up green and then another few seconds for the display to turn on. I have to hold down the buttons for a few seconds each to use the menu. When I flip the switch to turn the power off, the light stays green for a few seconds, and then it turns off. Attaching this lens slows my camera's ability to operate.

I've tried cleaning the contacts on both the body and lens with a microfiber cloth and a very small amount of isopropyl alcohol, didn't fix it. The lens itself is new and should not be the problem. My best guess is that something is going on involving the camera's/lens' ability to communicate with each other, so naturally you'd think the contacts would be the problem, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's been updated to the most recent firmware (1.13), the SD has been formatted, I've done all I can think of.

Why would the camera work with only one lens and not the other? And why would the electronic side of the camera body be slowed simply by attaching a lens?

09-15-2022, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The da 21 is a screw drive focusing lens that uses the camera’s internal motor. The da 18-135 is a dc motor lens that has its own focusing motor. The two methods are different in how they seem to interact with the body plus there a set of extra contacts used for power. Look at the rear of both lenses and you will see the extra contacts on the 18-135.

Personally it sounds like a bad lens or body. If the lens is new, and there’s no other lens with an internal motor that you can borrow to test with, I’d swap it immediately. It will resolve the question of what’s wrong. If the problem persists after swapping to a new copy of the lens, the next step is to get the body looked at. You’ve already tried the easy stuff. The only other thing that I can think of is reset to defaults and battery out of the body for a few days to possibly reset the camera.
09-15-2022, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colbycbs Quote
Have a K-70, an 18-135mm WR lens, and a 21mm AL Limited lens.

Here's the problem: when I use the 21mm lens, the camera works perfectly. No problems. With no lens, it works perfectly as well, in that it powers on and I can navigate the menus.

When I use the 18-135mm, two things happen:
1. autofocus is disabled completely, the lens will only shoot in manual (regardless of the switch on the camera body) and
2. the camera lags -- I don't mean shutter lag, I mean when I flip the switch to turn the power on, it takes a few seconds to light up green and then another few seconds for the display to turn on. I have to hold down the buttons for a few seconds each to use the menu. When I flip the switch to turn the power off, the light stays green for a few seconds, and then it turns off. Attaching this lens slows my camera's ability to operate.

I've tried cleaning the contacts on both the body and lens with a microfiber cloth and a very small amount of isopropyl alcohol, didn't fix it. The lens itself is new and should not be the problem. My best guess is that something is going on involving the camera's/lens' ability to communicate with each other, so naturally you'd think the contacts would be the problem, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's been updated to the most recent firmware (1.13), the SD has been formatted, I've done all I can think of.

Why would the camera work with only one lens and not the other? And why would the electronic side of the camera body be slowed simply by attaching a lens?
Welcome to the forum.
I've only ever seen issues like that with a Sigma lens, never with a Pentax lens.

What firmware version is your camera using?
09-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have posed this question a few weeks ago here:
Autofocus disabled - PentaxForums.com
and got already answers.
There isn't much more we can really help.
If the K70 works with a DA21, it still can have problems driving lenses with external motors.

If you want to find out, you need another HSM, SDM or DC-Motor driven lens. Only then you know if it is your K70 or it it is (again) your DA18-135!

09-16-2022, 12:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you got it from MPB, send it back to them with an explanation. When the lens was misaligned (previous post), did it act normally before sending it back to them that time?

If you can find another person nearby with other "motor lenses", you could do a comparison. Likewise, if there's another person with a K-70, you could try your lens on their camera. Is the camera firmware up-to-date?

I have a 18-135mm and there's no issue using on it various bodies.

Your issue lies with either body or lens. Have to track down which to get it fixed.
09-16-2022, 04:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Your previous post states the lens was changed, so as the problem continues this points to the camera body. Please confirm you've checked and cleaned the internal power-zoom contacts. You'll see them at the 5 o'clock position just inside the lens opening.

Also, although unlikely, try a different battery, just in case it doesn't have the power to drive the lens.
09-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
If you got it from MPB, send it back to them with an explanation. When the lens was misaligned (previous post), did it act normally before sending it back to them that time?

If you can find another person nearby with other "motor lenses", you could do a comparison. Likewise, if there's another person with a K-70, you could try your lens on their camera. Is the camera firmware up-to-date?

I have a 18-135mm and there's no issue using on it various bodies.

Your issue lies with either body or lens. Have to track down which to get it fixed.
The camera was updated to the most recent firmware yesterday. I got the body from ebay back in april. The body acted normally when the lens became misaligned, yes. Nothing that it's doing now.

---------- Post added 09-16-22 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You have posed this question a few weeks ago here:
Autofocus disabled - PentaxForums.com
and got already answers.
There isn't much more we can really help.
If the K70 works with a DA21, it still can have problems driving lenses with external motors.

If you want to find out, you need another HSM, SDM or DC-Motor driven lens. Only then you know if it is your K70 or it it is (again) your DA18-135!
You're right, I figured I'd just make a new post with updates on the problem rather than add it to a thread that was old. I'd get my hands on another lens if I could, but no one in my area has one that I know of. I got the body from ebay & the lens from MPB.

09-16-2022, 12:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colbycbs Quote
but no one in my area has one that I know of.
What's your area?