Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2022, 05:02 AM   #1

Uploading raw files to Amazon Photos

When I upload jpegs to Amazon Photos cloud a 12mg photo in my iPad is a 12 mg photo in the cloud. But when I upload a 30 mg raw(dng) photo it is a 7 mg raw(dng) photo in the cloud. Any suggestions how to fix?

09-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmmm... Sounds like Amazon does not want you to store big files.

1. See what happens if you rename the .DNG file to be .HEIC. Does it come back the same size and still open properly if you rename it back to .DNG?

2. See what happens if you make changes to the EXIF data so Amazon's systems don't know it's size or the model of camera. (And does downloading the file and reverting the EXIF settings work?)

3. Create a clever workflow to split a DNG into 4 panels (and a second workflow to remerge them).

4. Perhaps the larger issue is that a free service is worth every penny.

P.S. I would not use Amazon or (any free service) as your only back-up of an image. "The Cloud" seems like the perfect "truth in advertising" name for these services because clouds often evaporate into thin air.
09-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #3

I just uploaded a 40M dng to my amazon photos and it is the same size there. According to amazon, raw files are supported on photos.
09-22-2022, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
P.S. I would not use Amazon or (any free service) as your only back-up of an image. "The Cloud" seems like the perfect "truth in advertising" name for these services because clouds often evaporate into thin air.
Actually I believe OP has a Prime Account on Amazon. And this is not free at all. Obviously they can change conditions any time but they normally will notify you and give some time to move your files somewhere else. I do not believe amazon service will disappear in thin air without a trace. Too big to fail.

Last edited by jumbleview; 09-22-2022 at 08:27 AM.
09-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've use amazon photos to store images to share (lots of them for astro group projects) and haven't seen this issue. I put a bunch up there earlier this month for an astrophotography group shoot here. There were images from my K-3, K-3ii, and K-3iii and included light frames, dark frames, flat frames. I think I uploaded something like 25GB or 35GB of shots. They were all uploaded as DNG files. If they are willing to provide free photo storage who am I to not abuse it for things like this.

I agree. The correct backup solution is the 3-2-1 method:
3 copies of the data
2 different mediums
1 offsite
09-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hdsnaps Quote
When I upload jpegs to Amazon Photos cloud a 12mg photo in my iPad is a 12 mg photo in the cloud. But when I upload a 30 mg raw(dng) photo it is a 7 mg raw(dng) photo in the cloud. Any suggestions how to fix?
What's to fix if you get the original file back when you download from the cloud? It sound's like something your phone might be doing prior to the upload.
09-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Obviously they can change conditions any time but they normally will notify you and give some time to move your files somewhere else. I do not believe amazon service will disappear in thin air without a trace. Too big to fail.
Or do like they did to me and lock you out of your photos account for no reason. I tried everything, including filing a report with the BBB, and they just straight up refuse to say why they locked me out. That was about a year ago or so, and I still can't get in. Free or not (I had it with Prime), I wouldn't recommend anyone trusting them for backups.

09-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Or do like they did to me and lock you out of your photos account for no reason. I tried everything, including filing a report with the BBB, and they just straight up refuse to say why they locked me out. That was about a year ago or so, and I still can't get in. Free or not (I had it with Prime), I wouldn't recommend anyone trusting them for backups.
That disturbing. I have a benefits service on my job: for small monthly amount they can provide you with lawyer service. I never used it myself but some people did use it. Normally lawyers just evaluate your question and if indeed something in it they send the letter on behave of you to the party, which causes the trouble. Works like a charm. But that was toward small companies: like some contractor etc. Will it work with behemoth like Amazon?
09-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps the larger issue is that a free service is worth every penny.
Agree with that.
09-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hdsnaps Quote
If you download out is it 30meg or 7meg? The service may be applying lossless compression and that file may be more compressible than normal. As long as it is lossless that’s no issue to worry over.
09-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

BBB is about as useful as a two legged cow.
09-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
BBB is about as useful as a two legged cow.
It wasn't my first choice, and have had success with them in the past.
09-22-2022, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

C.L.O.U.D = Customer Loses Own Use of Data
09-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It wasn't my first choice, and have had success with them in the past.

I was once asked to join, or else. That person was let go about 6 months later. Great if they helped you. They can be 'something' on a local scale, in some locations, but I wouldn't imagine Amazon pays them any attention.
09-22-2022, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
C.L.O.U.D = Customer Loses Own Use of Data
That’s conflating SaaS with cloud. A cloud platform underlies the Amazon SaaS service. The service offering could change and that doesn’t care about the platform. If they were just a bunch of physical servers the situation with respect to service longevity would likely be worse certainly no better.

The fact that it’s a value added service tacked onto prime and not free makes it more likely to stick around but proving and limits could shift. I’d personally bet files on Amazon are safer than files on a home nas. But only a little. As stated earlier by another person; multiple copies with some stored offsite are your best protection.

---------- Post added 09-22-22 at 05:51 PM ----------

In fact the Flickr transition post acquisition by smugmug was a prime example of cloud economics - the old deployment model wasn’t cloud based and cost an ever increasing amount to maintain. The shift to cloud plus the reduction of the unpaid file burden made the service viable. I think they handled the shift pretty gracefully.