Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2022, 03:50 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 40: Entire Vehicle Car Shots

Good morning all, I'm not happy. I hired a handyman and gave him a list. When I got home, only items #1, 3 and 5 were done.

Turns out he only does odd jobs.

It's very frustrating how untidy our house gets during the week.

Even our Roomba keeps going right past a piece of garbage without picking it up.

I guess it thinks it's one of the family now.

To pick up from last week's tip, after getting detail shots, it'll be necessary to change lenses and stand back. Generate options by photographing the whole car front on, the sides and back at eye level or lower. Then especially get shots at the 45 degree angles, because many owners consider those where their cars look best.

Below you can see that since the display is inside, I've used a flash, and there is a tripod too. The flash appears multiple times on the car ... you can Photoshop those out if you like.

Note that there is clearly the feel of an exhibition, because standing back catches the background and foreground. We'll talk next week about how to do the kinds of shots you can do for an owner that better suit them being used to sell or remember the car.

To finish with, an old fellow walks into a barbershop wanting a shave and a haircut.

He tells the barber he can't get a smooth shave at home because his cheeks are too wrinkled from age.

The barber, nods, then hands him two small wooden balls from a cup on the shelf behind him and tells him to put the balls in his cheeks to smooth out the skin.

When the barber finishes, the old fellow says that was the finest shave he's had in years.

But he'd like to know what would've happened if he'd accidentally swallowed one of the little balls.

The barber replied, "Well, you can just bring it back in a few days . . . like every one else does."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

09-23-2022, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Holy cow! It's Andy Griffith's Mayberry sheriff's car! Or Barney Fife's? Only one, I guess.
Thanks for the good tips again!

09-24-2022, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Holy cow! It's Andy Griffith's Mayberry sheriff's car! Or Barney Fife's? Only one, I guess.
Yes, and I have no idea how it's ended up in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

There is a DeLorean owned by someone here, so curiosities abound!
09-25-2022, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long ago I worked for an ad agency that had more than a few automotive-related clients...mostly heavy trucks but passenger cars, too. So from time to time there would be a "car shoot". One of the "rules" was that people -- typically scantily or provocatively clothed young ladies -- were always posed "on the Detroit side of the car". Meaning behind it, never in the image foreground, blocking even a smidge of the car in the image.

09-25-2022, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few good tips here from Kobie M-C
09-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good morning all, I'm not happy. I hired a handyman and gave him a list. When I got home, only items #1, 3 and 5 were done.

Turns out he only does odd jobs.

It's very frustrating how untidy our house gets during the week.

Even our Roomba keeps going right past a piece of garbage without picking it up.

I guess it thinks it's one of the family now.

To pick up from last week's tip, after getting detail shots, it'll be necessary to change lenses and stand back. Generate options by photographing the whole car front on, the sides and back at eye level or lower. Then especially get shots at the 45 degree angles, because many owners consider those where their cars look best.

Below you can see that since the display is inside, I've used a flash, and there is a tripod too. The flash appears multiple times on the car ... you can Photoshop those out if you like.

Note that there is clearly the feel of an exhibition, because standing back catches the background and foreground. We'll talk next week about how to do the kinds of shots you can do for an owner that better suit them being used to sell or remember the car.

To finish with, an old fellow walks into a barbershop wanting a shave and a haircut.

He tells the barber he can't get a smooth shave at home because his cheeks are too wrinkled from age.

The barber, nods, then hands him two small wooden balls from a cup on the shelf behind him and tells him to put the balls in his cheeks to smooth out the skin.

When the barber finishes, the old fellow says that was the finest shave he's had in years.

But he'd like to know what would've happened if he'd accidentally swallowed one of the little balls.

The barber replied, "Well, you can just bring it back in a few days . . . like every one else does."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com
Me, I’ll frame the subject but will always check the background before I hit the shutter. No matter how good the shot, if there’s crud in the background that you can’t scrub in post, that’s all you’ll see later
09-26-2022, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I was in my twenties, taking pictures of new cars was very important for me (Minolta film cameras with Kodak Panatomic 32 ASA black & white film). 1970s cars were still big with beautiful exterior shapes and V8 engines. Only problem was that if you had an accident with these cars, you were dead. No safety features we all take for granted now were yet invented in those days (like safety belts or predictable and controlled crumpling of the front parts of the car). Now I'm much older and all I take are digital pictures of rusted old clunkers ... LOL !

OOOPPS !!

I still like new trailer tractors though.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 09-26-2022 at 04:42 AM.