Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

ZX-10 Has Stuck Mirror/Shutter - Need Advice

Hi there! First post here and I have searched these forums and saw that this is a fairly common problem. What wasn't clear to me is whether it's an easy fix or not. I am a small time reseller on eBay so this camera is only for reselling and I'm willing to try if it's easy, but it also scares me lol. The camera turns on and the shutter does click (though I don't have any film to test with), but the viewfinder is black and the 35-80mm lens that came with it doesn't make a difference since there's no picture. The mirror appears to be stuck in the closed position and I am wondering if it's worth trying to fix it myself or if I should sell it as parts only or maybe just sell the lens itself. I'm just learning the ropes of reselling cameras and don't want to mislead anybody and would rather sell a camera that's working but I don't mind selling for parts either. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Picture of the stuck mirror is attached. Thank you!

Attached Images

09-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #2

Given amount of disassembly required to change the motor or gear on the motor I wouldn't say it's an easy fix.

Mostly it depends on your skills, patience and experience on repairing cameras. It also depends on if you have the proper tools. Such tools as JIS driver set, small screwdriver set, lens spanner wrench, small tweezers, magnifier, soldering gear, gear puller and so on.

You can read all about it in this thread though there are a few others on repairs.
MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - PentaxForums.com

My take on this is unless it is a MZ-1 or there is some sentimental value it isn't worth fixing.
09-26-2022, 08:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very common issue with the ZX series. That is how my ZX-M died... While I was shooting with it...
09-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The fix requires pretty much complete disassembly of the camera, which is then very difficult to put back together. I recently sold off three Pentax bodies all with this fault for €4 a piece to someone with more time, skill and tools than I have but basically it isn't worth repairing. Get an older body such as an SFXn, they are less prone to these faults.