Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #1

Image Sync problems with Pentax KP

Apologies to everyone if this question is posted under the wrong heading. I have searched this and other forums but have been unable to get any useful remedy. I have a KP and an Apple XR. The KP has most recent firmware and I have installed the most recent version of Image Sync.

Following the hook-up sequence required by the app I can pair the phone and camera over wifi; the phone lists the camera as connected and the wifi symbol on the phone turns bright white. However, when I open Image Sync the app flags the camera as 'not connected'.

Considering advice offered for other camera pairings I have tried a camera reset, rebooted the phone, re-formatted the SD card, deleted and re-loaded the Ricoh app but I cannot get the pairing to work.

I used the app with a KP a couple of years ago with an older iphone but I switched back to a K3 for a while. Returning to the KP just recently I'm loving it but finding this issue a little irritating. Have any other KP / iphone users had this problem?
Thanks
Joe

10-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It is a finicky set up, and IIRC gets reset every time you power off the camera which means you may need to go back to phone settings and reset the wifi there first. Tha's been my typ stumbling block after a lapse in using.
10-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't use my "smart" 'phone for anything else but as a remote control for my Pentax cameras!
It's an old iPhone 6 I was given for the job and it has the latest o/s and latest version of ImageSync loaded, but no SIM card, so no other network influences!
Switch the camera on, start the wi-fi, switch on the 'phone and away it all goes … simply don't get any issues
However, if the camera is switched off, to change a lens or whatever, re-connection can be troublesome, taking a couple of attempts.
I've simply taken to switching the 'phone off at the same time as the camera and reconnecting from the start as necessary.
It may not be any quicker, but it's a lot less frustrating!
Inevitable, YMMV
10-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by josmills Quote
Apologies to everyone if this question is posted under the wrong heading. I have searched this and other forums but have been unable to get any useful remedy. I have a KP and an Apple XR. The KP has most recent firmware and I have installed the most recent version of Image Sync.

Following the hook-up sequence required by the app I can pair the phone and camera over wifi; the phone lists the camera as connected and the wifi symbol on the phone turns bright white. However, when I open Image Sync the app flags the camera as 'not connected'.

Considering advice offered for other camera pairings I have tried a camera reset, rebooted the phone, re-formatted the SD card, deleted and re-loaded the Ricoh app but I cannot get the pairing to work.

I used the app with a KP a couple of years ago with an older iphone but I switched back to a K3 for a while. Returning to the KP just recently I'm loving it but finding this issue a little irritating. Have any other KP / iphone users had this problem?
Thanks
Joe
For what it's worth, I have a K-3 iii and use Image Sync on an iPad Mini. I have not been able to connect the two using just Wi-Fi even though my screen shows the same network icon lit up like yours. I have to also connect via Bluetooth. When I have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled and connected, Image Sync works well.

10-03-2022, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My iPhone connects to my KP pretty reliably. But I have to disable the auto join configuration on the other networks in the house the phone knows about. Otherwise it will drop the connection to the camera. This type of thing is worse with my Sony a7R III and it’s app sometimes and better other times. It’s not exactly perfect, but it is mostly reliable if I repeat the same steps each time.
10-03-2022, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My iPhone connects to my KP pretty reliably. But I have to disable the auto join configuration on the other networks in the house the phone knows about. Otherwise it will drop the connection to the camera. This type of thing is worse with my Sony a7R III and it’s app sometimes and better other times. It’s not exactly perfect, but it is mostly reliable if I repeat the same steps each time.

That was what I was forgetting, the home network may require an admission ticket. Didn't have that issue until we got fiber and a mesh set up. I believe I have it down now, with all three devices set to play nice.
10-06-2022, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Sorted! Thanks

I would just like to thank everyone who responded to my technical inquiry.

Having had opportunity to explore your helpful insights I have it working well enough for my intended use. I found that my current phone will connect with the app and allow me to operate the camera if, and only if, I turn off 'auto connect' for available wifi sources and hook up manually. I did however manage to get hold of an older 5SE handset and with the sim card removed this works fine and makes a great backpack accessory with the advantage of being able to run a couple of other photo apps.

Once again, thanks very much

Hapy Snapping

Joe