Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2022, 05:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I would suggest there is no contest - if you have the funds available, the best combination for starters is a K-70 with a DA 18-135 zoom lens, even if it weren't available on a special deal! This gives the opportunity of capturing a variety of subjects in a broad range of focal lengths, to practise producing good quality images. The experience gained will then help you to decide which other lens(es) you might like to obtain next.

Philip

10-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

The kit lenses (18-55mm, 50-200mm) may be above average for APS-C kit lenses but neither is great and won't provide the sharpness and richness that a superior lens might. You run the risk of being disappointed with results due to the lenses and thinking it may be your technique (though initially the limiting factor of course will be your technique). I'd recommend the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited for a starter prime. It can do just about anything well.

You seem to be more interested in zooms though, so I'd recommend the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 or Pentax 16-85mm. They're both superb but will cost a lot more than kit lenses. The 16-85mm is the best landscape lens for Pentax APS-C that I've used, prime or zoom. If you want something significantly better than the kit zooms without spending a lot of money then your options are (1) an old manual focus prime (steep learning curve for a beginner) or (2) one of the cheaper, plastic-build primes: 35mm f/2.4 and/or 50mm f/1.8. Both are optically far superior to the kit lenses while allowing in more light and being compact and lightweight. And they're both cheap. The 35mm would be the more flexible option in general use.

Regarding focus, I think you're not asking the right question - you don't progress from auto to manual (or visa-versa), they're different things that depend on how you want or need to use your gear. Auto-focus does need to be learned though - how to set the point, which mode to use, when it might not be the best option, how to get the best out of it (which may also depend on the lens to some degree). Manual focus also has to be learned but it's more how to get the focus perfect from a camera that isn't designed to be used principally in manual focus. Some people only use auto, some only ever use manual - I'd recommend having some experience of both.
10-07-2022, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my friends once told me "No serious photographer wants to be found dead with a DA 18-55 mm zoom in his hands". If you want just one all-around lens, get the DA 18-135 mm. Better yet, get a duo comprising an HD DA 16-85 mm ED + HD DA 55-300 ED. There is almost nothing you can't do with these options.

DA 18-135 mm ED

HD DA 16-85 mm ED

HD DA 55-300mm ED WR

10-07-2022, 07:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
If you want just one all-around lens, get the DA 18-135 mm. Better yet, get a duo comprising an HD DA 16-85 mm ED + HD DA 55-300 ED
Assuming funds permit this to me would be great choices. If you start out with average entry level lenses you may get turned off. You can't go wrong with the above options. Buy them used and even if you don't end up staying with Pentax you can still sell them at a decent price.

10-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
the best combination for starters is a K-70 with a DA 18-135 zoom lens
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
If you want just one all-around lens, get the DA 18-135 mm.
Have to agree with that. Starting with a 18-55, and coming from a bridge camera at the time, I felt frustrated by the low zoom capability. Adding a 50-200 was not really satisfactory either because when is was mounted, I was frustrated by the impossibility to swith to normal/wide-angle quickly. Looking back I would start with a 18-135, I had one for years and loved it. It's also very reasonably priced and even cheap as chips if you feel up to buying used (which I also encourage)

For a second one, a carefully chosen prime would probably be the best complement to improve your skills (50mm and 35mm are abundant and quite cheap as well, just make sure you understand first their differences by referring to Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database)

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I've purchased most of my gear here from the PF marketplace. I have never received one pieces of bad gear out of nearly a dozen transactions.
This!

To conclude, once you receive any gear you will have decided on, don't spend too much time looking back and second guessing... take photos and have fun
10-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If an offered kit-solution is sensible, the DA18-135 is a very good start for a zoom.

If you just buy a K70 or other APS-C, then you can search for a used DA16-45/f4 which gives you ultra-wide-angle and the difference between 16mm and 18mm is huge. A very good lens and it shows on the K70 or KP how great it is.

A Sigma 17-70 contemporary is also great and can be found new still

Then I highly recommend the DA55-300PLM which is ultrafast and from 55mm onwards very good.

And yet... yes, primes are in most cases of course superior

But then you need quite a few.

A good start:
DA50/1,8 (and yet a used F50/1,7 or FA50/1,7 is superior)

DA35/2,4 (almost as good as the FA35/2)
10-07-2022, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hyperspaceexplorer Quote
  • Which lenses are optimal to use for learning-the ones that comes in a kit with the camera body or a different lens?
  • For a newbie, which should I pay more attention in learning and getting good at it first - auto focus or manual focus?
Every lens will teach you something different, but assuming you're looking at the entry level K-70, here are my thoughts:

K-70 with 35mm prime:
The 35mm is a normal focal length meaning it's roughly equivalent to human vision, neither wide angle nor telephoto. With this inexpensive prime lens option, you are forced to move your feet and eventually if you find yourself backing up, then you know there is a wide angle lens in your future. If you find you need to crop often, then a telephoto lens.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566550-REG/pentax_k_70_dslr_camera_w...981&

K-70 with 35mm macro prime:
This will give you the benefits of the above, but with higher quality optics and the ability to shoot macro for your nature explorations.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1632871-REG/pentax_k_70_dslr_camera_w...981&

K-70 with 18-55mm zoom:
Can't beat the price and the convenience of some range in wide and telephoto. This will show you if 18mm is not wide enough or 55mm is not telephoto enough. What focal length are shooting most often with this zoom is the hint. Also nice bundle from B&H with a card, case, and filters.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1398124-REG/pentax_k_70_dslr_camera_w...981&

K-70 body only and purchase the 16-85mm zoom:
This one lens will give you much more range and quality than the 18-55. It's my favorite single zoom over the 18-135mm only because I do prefer the wider angle more than the telephoto, but find the 85mm gives me enough that the 55mm doesn't.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1089881-REG/pentax_21387_hd_pentax_da...981&

As a photography teacher, I believe in starting with manually focusing. It forces you to not just frame the world in two dimensions, but also to make choices in focus. You will also do that with auto focus, but often we let the camera decide and either accept it or lose time in getting it to focus on what we intended.

In this regard, the prime lenses will be easier to manually focus simply because the viewfinder will be brighter with f/2.4 or f/2.8 vs. f/3.5-f/5.6.

10-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I've purchased most of my gear here from the PF marketplace. I have never received one pieces of bad gear out of nearly a dozen transactions.
For some items, most likely a common experience here.

However, as I stated, I would never recommend buying a used K-70 or any other non-flagship type camera other than the likewise well-built KP. And, I recommend getting a new K-70 from high-volume, reputable dealers as their stock is high-turnover, making it certain to get a later-batch camera. The later batches of the K-70 have the updated solenoid design and are thus not as prone to the previous aperture control failure, according to knowledgeable sources.
10-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I guess should check the lenses first before checking the body according to some posts here.
I owned the k1 and the K3. For K1 the 28-105 hands down. It was the lens that was on my camera almost all the time. I have the FA Limited Trio (31, 43 and the 77) but hardly ever used them. The 28-105 delivered fantastic results while being versatile. I used my K3 mostly with my Tamron 70-200 and some of my primes for client work. I did own the Pentax16-45 but did not use it much as my primes (and my 70-200) were far superior in quality. If I had to get a zoom for a Pentax APSc body today, I would get the 16-85 or the 17-70. They have a great range and the reviews are very positive on both.
10-07-2022, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As you can see there are as many opinions as there are users, which is what you would expect because none of us are the same. Three different people could be standing together and look as if they are shooting the same scene, but if they are creative they are all doing something different, and may prefer different lenses for the task. The lens is just a tool for your imagination and creativity. I would read some of the reviews, see what is financially feasible, and visit the lens sample and club pages here and look for photos that you would have enjoyed taking. Some ideas may come to your head, and you may see some strengths of each lens showing through.
10-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"The best equipment you can have is an alarm clock." - Jad Davenport

Lenses, I think you want one midrange consumer-level zoom that is autofocus and weather-resistant. Even if you move straight to high-end lenses, that lens will be useful if it's raining or snowing, or some other in the moment image. I like the DA 18-135 (for APS-C) but I still have the DA 18-55 WR because it's small and light and not worth a lot used.

Focus is really important. If you have a series of portraits where the face is the same but focus is slightly wrong on all but one, ordinary viewers will pick the one with correct focus. It's nearly impossible to fix focus later. I think for a beginner, autofocus is good enough, but always be aware of where the autofocus is choosing to focus. I just got a puppy and the best training tip is the same, catch the problem as early as possible. Unfortunately the camera doesn't really learn from its mistakes. If you're always looking for focus in the frame, manual focus is easy to pick up later.
10-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I did own the Pentax16-45 but did not use it much as my primes (and my 70-200) were far superior in quality.
There are 2 very different Pentax 16-45's:
a) DA*16-50/2,8 SDM (large, SDM which often fails but can be converted). Didn't like it.
b) DA 16-45 /4 (older and superior)

b) is almost as good as the legendary DA20-40 ltd and that means something. But only if a good sample.

An amazing lense which would deserve the name "stack of primes" as much as the A35-105/4 (which I have as well)

The only other "stack of primes" would be the 20-40 ltd imo

I am not very fond of primes but these three and the DA55-300PLM are worthwhile as well as the Sigma 17-70 contemporary.

Last edited by photogem; 10-09-2022 at 03:05 AM.
10-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
There are 2 very different Pentax 16-45's:a) DA*16-45/2,8 (large, SDM which often fails but can be converted). Didn't like it.b) DA 16-45 /5 (older and superior)
For (a), you mean the SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM (not 16-45)
For (b), you mean the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (not f5)

Which lenses are optimal to use for learning-the ones that comes in a kit with the camera body or a different lens?
When buying a new camera, good modern zooms are often attractively priced in a bundle with the camera. For example you could get a DA 18-135 with a K-70 for about $250 (compared with the body-only price). At that price, IMO there is no need to take a risk on an old secondhand zoom like the 16-45. (That lens has been out of production since 2014 and many copies will have wobbly barrels by now.)

I agree with others that the DA 18-135 would be a better option than the DA 18-55 - much more versatile and probably better IQ. A new or near-new DA 16-85 would be another good choice if it's within budget (it might also be available in a bundle with the camera). There are endless threads comparing the 18-135 with the 16-85. I have both, and there are pros and cons for each. The arguments are summarised here: Help me decide 18-135 or 16-85 - PentaxForums.com

I'd suggest holding off on other lenses in the wide-normal range of focal lengths until you have used one of these zooms for a while. That will help you work out what (if anything) should come next.

16mm gives a noticeably wider field of view than 18mm on APS-C. But for a beginner it's hard to know whether 18mm is wide enough until you try it. You may find it is enough. But if you find you would like a wider lens, there are several good options in wider lenses to suit a range of budgets. (The DA 15 Limited is a little gem.)

For telephoto, it's a simple choice: DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM. It is also available in a bundle with a K-70. Here's an example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1632873-REG/pentax_k_70_dslr_camera_with.html

Last edited by Des; 10-08-2022 at 04:12 PM.
10-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I am taking out my DA 18-135mm WR for its amazing versatility and fine imaging (which I've now owned for over 10 years), I also have my much later-acquired DA 15mm Limited "little gem' which it is, and which lives in the front accessory pocket of my moderate-size holster-type camera case. It is so small it is easy to forget it is there until I need to go wider! With this case having both belt loops and a cross-shoulder strap, weight is better distributed and I never go about with my camera hanging around my neck. I just draw it out to shoot when needed and then return it to the case. This also prevents the lens from developing zoom creep from hanging downward. This makes for a great combo team with virtually no carrying penalty for having such a marvelous FL range, and having WR for near the entirety.
10-09-2022, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
For (a), you mean the SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM (not 16-45)
For (b), you mean the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (not f5)

When buying a new camera, good modern zooms are often attractively priced in a bundle with the camera. For example you could get a DA 18-135 with a K-70 for about $250 (compared with the body-only price). At that price, IMO there is no need to take a risk on an old secondhand zoom like the 16-45. (That lens has been out of production since 2014 and many copies will have wobbly barrels by now.)
The DA16-45/4 is way superior to the DA18-135 in it's range and gives the benefit of UWW down to 16mm, so almost a free DA15ltd.

Combined with a SMC F70-210 which has further reach and surpassed the DA18-135 in its range as well a cheap and superior combination

There is nothing wrong with used lenses if one knows how to check. I know that the DA18-135 is loved by many and it is quiet with its DC motor. But I would never waste a though of prefering to for the mentioned lenses. As said, the DA16-45 is almost DA20-40 limited quality. And if I would have to live with just one of those two, I think I'd go for the option having 16mm's because for landscape the difference between even 18 to 16mm is huge:

But of course if possible combined with a DA55-300PLM one has a fantastic combination!
Then one just graps the DA50/1,8 or... even better, the F50/1,7 and that tiny missing gap of 50mm is served with a fast prime.
Or the fantastic SMC A50/2,8 macro! Super light, great macro and good to learn manual focus.

Most people remember this lens only from old days during *ist-D times, maybe the K10D or K20D but haven't tried with a K-70, KP or even K3III.

It is also wrong to guess that many would have wobbly barrels by now!

This lens always had a slightly wobbly barrel due to it's construction. This had no effect on quality but:

Because the barrel extents when UWW some users weren't careful with it and sometimes hit the branch of a tree or whatever.
Then, and only then the wobble got stronger and decentering was the case.

This is because this lens has a unique technology implied, it is the only Pentax zoom-lens with working with the legendary Zeiss "floating elements"!
This technique you only find in used for the limiteds and the legendary (Hollywood) SMC Pentax K28/2!

This principle is easy to adjust with non-AF lenses such as Zeiss builds still today.
Adjusting/alining it in an AF-Zoom need a lot of precision work and knowledge!

I have often recommended this lens, many friends and family members own it. And only once did I come across a decentered lens, very easy to

find out when taking photos at 16mm's! So one makes sure one has the possibility of return or buys from a dealer.

So imo knowledge about this lens often is based on "hearsay" or from old times which won't count anymore because one hasn't tested this lens with a K70 or KP or K3III. So such information in most cases has zero connection with actual experience because it was built only up to 2014. It was stopped because it was too expensive! Similar to the legendary K28/2 and the Takumar 50/1,4 8-Element.