Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2022, 01:32 PM   #1

Which lens should a beginner get for landscape, sky, nature, flora and fauna?

I guess should check the lenses first before checking the body according to some posts here. I have seen kits with lenses 24-105mm, 28-105mm, 18-55mm, 18-135mm.

• Which lenses are optimal to use for learning-the ones that comes in a kit with the camera body or a different lens?
  • For a newbie, which should I pay more attention in learning and getting good at it first - auto focus or manual focus?
On my recent post, I have stated about both still images and video. But in terms of priority, it is still images on the top, then video.

According to this article, auto focus are good for beginners and should use it first before moving to manual focus. Unless I am misunderstanding it.

https://www.lifewire.com/auto-focus-vs-manual-focus-492950

Many thanks to everyone.

10-06-2022, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

A difficult question, if you are getting an APSC camera, start with the kit 18-55 lens, it can be used with autofocus and manual focus. Get to know what it can actually achieve before getting any other lenses.
10-06-2022, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree that the Pentax 18-55 is a very nice lens to start with. I used to have the Pentax 18-55 AL II which took excellent images, though it was not weather sealed. I never had any problems with it though. There is also a version of the lens that is well rated that is called the Pentax 18-55 WR (weather resistant), which means that it is weather sealed, though as most people would recommend do not take that as meaning water proof. The WR is a bit higher in price than the AL II. I did not opt for the original 18-55 kit lens, and bought the 18-55 AL II version because supposedly it was a higher quality lens according to ratings. As I said it took excellent images.

Both the AL II and the WR versions should do very well if you are shooting the things you mentioned. I eventually bought the Pentax 16-85 after I sold my Pentax 18-55, and though it is more expensive, it is excellent in case you ever become interested in getting something with more range after learning using an 18-55.

If you have interest in having a lens with more reach to begin with, possibly the Pentax 18-135 might be a good candidate, and it is not highly expensive. If you want something that you plan on having and holding onto for landscape use and that you can handle with your budget, I would recommend the Pentax 16-85 to begin with, due to its high quality. As I said, that is the lens I use for landscape.

If you are learning, and looking for the least expensive lenses to begin, the Pentax 18-55 AL II or Pentax 18-55 WR lenses may be good candidates.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-06-2022 at 02:23 PM.
10-06-2022, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

This is a tough question since you did not list your camera body nor your budget.

I would suggest the following lenses for landscape and outdoor photography, from the cheapest to the most expensive.

DA18-55mm (the cheapest)
DA15mm Ltd - a great pancake lens excellent for landscape
D_FA21mm f2.4 - the best IMHO for landscape and outdoor

Remember that the lens IQ and your photo IQ is directly linked to the price. The D-FA21mm is mind-blowing IMHO (The D-FA21mm controls my mind - PentaxForums.com) and well worth the investment.

I hope that the comment may help.

10-06-2022, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My advise is start with the inexpensive kit zoom lens (the DA 18-55) and really figure out where it is coming up short and/or where it doesn't fit your shooting style. If I look at myself I really like my old Sigma 300mm f/4 APO Tele Macro and is one of my most used lenses during daylight hours. However it is not a beginner lens as it is big, somewhat heavy, and long but it fits my shooting style well. I've even used it as a portrait lens but at a distance of like 20 to 30 feet. If you are really interested in developing your skills get what would be classified as a "normal" focal length lens for your camera's format. For APS-C this would be something around 35mm and for full frame this would be something around 50mm. Then just use that lens for an extended period of time. A prime lens (not a zoom) is very often optically better than a zoom as well as being smaller, lighter, and faster than a zoom that has that focal length in its range.

This isn't to discourage your from getting a lens but until one really figures out what they need and what to do with it one could waste a lot of money and have an expensive learning experience. Many years ago I always wanted one of the SMC 500/4.5 Takumars. I had no idea what I would do with it but thought that having it would magically make me a better photographer. I never did get one. Fast forward about 20 years and I have gotten into astrophotography and realized that there were a lot of things that wanted to shoot that would frame up nicely with a lens longer than the 300mm I had but that I really need to have a lens faster than f/4. So now I have a 400mm F/2.8 lens that I use all the time. Had I gotten that old 500/4.5 lens it would not have done well for this type of shooting and would have been a huge disappointment.
10-06-2022, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If you really want to learn I guess the combo of 18-55 and the 50-200 would do very well. That is how I started out in digital SLR with my Samsung GX-10, the K10d sibling. The nice thing about the 18-55 is that you can focus to the short distance of 25cm. It means that it is better to learn what kind of photography you like, because you can get veeeery close to the subject. AF is very good to get to know your camera. Manual focusing, you'll need a good lens and the patience to try that out, with a focusing screen of an AF camera it is harder to do this than with the older film camera's. The first digital camera I really succeeded to get sharp images in MF with is the KP. Very good and clear OVF to do so. Now I really can enjoy the fact that (Ricoh)Pentax did not change the mount. I stuck with Pentax because of the backward compatibility, but was deeply disappointed with the possibilities, until I bought the KP and tried out my old A lenses. Luckily in Pentax branded camera's there are several useful settings that can aid you with MF.
So first learn with AF and later on when you are familiar with camera and lens you can challenge yourself to make pictures wiith manual focusing.
10-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you.

Now, I just need to decide where I will go with, B&H or Adorama, for the kits.

10-06-2022, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Of the lenses you indicate, they are good kit lenses to learn with, but some are better than the others. The first two, 24-105mm and especially 28-105 mm are much more specific to Full Frame sensor (FF) camera bodies, which are expensive and hardly appropriate for beginners to learn with. They could indeed function on the more common APS-C sensor size bodies, but would present a narrower angle of view. Of these two lenses, the 24-105mm would be the more useful since 24mm still would yield some wide angle, while the 28-105mm lens would provide no wide angle at all. On a FF body, same sensor size as a 35mm film frame, 24mm or 28mm would provide good wide-angle availability.

The 18-55mm and the 18-135mm lenses are both formulated specifically for use with APS-C sensor size cameras, where the 18mm would provide plenty of wide angle capability, about like 27mm on a FF body. Of the two, the Pentax DA 18-135mm WR is by far the superior lens, in terms of versatile zoom range, its quiet, fast, and accurate auto-focus (AF) performance, and its far better build quality. These lenses would not function properly on a FF body. My recommendation would be for a good APS-C body and this very fine, useful lens. You do not state a budget, but a brand new Pentax K-70 from a high-volume reputable dealership would be stellar as an entry-level model. Even many advanced photographers have chosen this model for their needs. I get most of my stuff from B&H, and have for many years. You can get a really good deal by getting this camera model prepackaged together with the DA 18-135mm WR lens by Ricoh/Pentax, at a great savings on the lens price.

You might also consider adding a non-zoom "prime" lens that can provide a larger aperture (smaller number means larger aperture), like a 50mm f/1.8 (the aperture size rating) which would be very good for low light shooting and a good focal length (FL) size moderate telephoto for portrait use as well. The larger aperture will allow reducing depth-of-field (DOF) which is how much of the foreground and background behind the subject will also be seen in sharp focus. By reducing DOF, you can blur the background more to cause your subject to stand out more from it. But you can also get very good results for closeups with the DA 18-135mm WR lens.

Another important hint- to get a new DSLR APS-C camera body featuring WR construction from Nikon or Canon, you'd be shopping in the $1,000+ range, and about the same amount for a lens having WR construction. Yet these Pentax models are very well built, despite being less costly. If you wish to by a used camera, I always recommend looking for a previous flagship pro-style model in fine condition, as these are of top level durable build quality.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-07-2022 at 12:09 PM.
10-06-2022, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #9
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would get a zoom like the 18-55 or even the 18-135 for flexibility, but I would definitely add the DA 35mm f/2.4 and/or the DA 50mm f/1.8. Each can be had on the used market for less than $100 and there is NOTHING like a fast prime to learn with. Having a big aperture is such a joy. You’ll learn how important depth of field is to telling a story in a picture. It’s also fun to have a prime for framing a picture. It’s much more difficult to “fit” things in your shot, but you will swiftly become a much better photographer.
Whatever you decide have fun and good shooting!
10-06-2022, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
B&H or Adorama, over the years I have done well using either. Go with your best deal if there is any difference. Look closely at all the listings because sometimes you can get some additional free items with a camera or combo, and they will sell it with or without depending on which listing you order from. The last camera I bought from Adorama included a flash, and they may be running that again. I would recommend the 18-135 over the 18-55. There are a lot of lens threads on this website that can give you good information. I feel the best lens for the landscape, sky, nature, fora, and fauna that you mention is the 55-300 PLM, there are several 55-300s that Pentax has made, but the PLM is the best, it is compact, has good IQ, and the fastest autofocus.
10-06-2022, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the conventional wisdom is if you're beginning the hobby, start with an entry-level body and the standard kit lens, like the 18-50 or 18-55.

If you go secondhand from reputable sellers, you'll get the financial advantage of them copping the depreciation - they're no longer new. That means if it turns out photography is not for you, your price to on-sell is not radically different from what you got them for.

If you've got deeper pockets and know you're going to be enthusiastic about and good at photography, the advice would be different.
10-06-2022, 08:32 PM - 9 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hyperspaceexplorer Quote
Which lens should a beginner get for landscape, sky, nature, flora and fauna?
There is nothing wrong with getting a basic 18-55mm kit zoom - don't expect your first 10,000 photographs to be fine art. But pay attention to the focal lengths that repeatedly show up in EXIF and take that as a guide for your next purchase.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
D_FA21mm f2.4 - the best IMHO for landscape and outdoor
As much as I love the DFA21 I wouldn't recommend it right off the bat, the FA31 f/1.8 Limited would be a more sensible (and marginally cheaper) premium lens choice as it is a more versatile focal length, the DFA21 distinctly leans toward specialized UWA territory.

And the FA31 is an excellent choice for landscape photography on FX or DX format.

Pentax K-1 SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited @ f/11 ISO 100 1/125th

Pentax KP SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited @ f/5.6 ISO 100 120s

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-07-2022 at 06:09 AM.
10-06-2022, 08:59 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

I just checked B&H under digital DSLR cameras to find the Pentax K-70 + DA 18-135mm combo currently running on sale, saving even more over the usual bargain price. Several very useful extras are also offered, included free in a package deal. This lens alone usually runs pretty near $500, but just take a look at what a deal is now offered.

To get an idea as to what this lens is capable of, go to the SLR lens section of the forum to find the thread- "DA 18-135mm WR, Show us what it can do" and start with the last page first, which are the most recent postings, and then working backwards.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-06-2022 at 09:06 PM.
10-07-2022, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In your OP you are showing a commitment to learning - nice to see.
My advice - a prime with aperture ring and manual focusing ability for when you are ready to move more to the core of photography. (auto everything ain't the core)
Guessing you are thinking new and on a budget.
How about this -
SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Capable of totally automatic operation as you start and fully manual operation as you smarten up.
A portrait lens
a close up lens
a macro lens (1:1)
a landscape lens in part
Hi image quality
And most importantly a lens that will retain a niche in your soon to be built collection.
OK ok so it is not a zoom but I am guessing you are young enough to take a few paces forward or back to get the image you want.
Note I don't own this lens - I dabble in older glass but I would rate my A series 50mm 2.8 macro as one of my most versatile lenses.

Last edited by GUB; 10-07-2022 at 02:48 AM.
10-07-2022, 05:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hyperspaceexplorer Quote
Now, I just need to decide where I will go with, B&H or Adorama, for the kits.
I've purchased most of my gear here from the PF marketplace. I have never received one pieces of bad gear out of nearly a dozen transactions.