Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2022, 04:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do I reset K-3 III file numbering (or, the world is against me)

At some point today, by mistake I inserted an SD card that was removed from my K-3 into my K-3 III.

The last file name on the K-3 card was K3_9432.jpg . (I use the camera name prefix, set in the camera, on my image files so I can tell at a glance which camera they came from.)

The last file name on the SD card that had been removed from the K-3 III (and should have been put back in there!!!!!) was K33_1255.jpg .

When I commenced shooting with the K-3 III, the file numbers switched over to the K-3 system, although the prefix switched to K33 properly - the next K-3 III file was named K33_9433.jpg .

After shooting almost 30 K-3 III frames I pulled the card out, and discovered the error - I had 30 files with the wrong name (sequence number, basically).

OK - I renamed the K-3 III files to their proper numbers in my PC, and copied them onto the correct K-3 III card. I figured when I started the K-3 III back up, its numbering system would go back to the proper sequence, just as it had screwed up previously - i.e. I thought I could fool the camera back into the proper sequence.

NO SUCH LUCK - the next K-3 III frame was named K33_9462!

NOT FAIR - I can screw up in one direction, but not the other?!?! I tried several times to fool the K-3 III without success. On the other hand, the K-3 seemed perfectly unaffected by this when I deleted the K-3 III files from the K-3 card and stick the card back into the K-3.

Anybody got an idea or cure for how to get my K-3 III file system back in the right order/sequencing? Is there is some count value in the K-3 III which can get toggled in one direction but not the other?

I do not want to completely reset the file numbering in the K-3 III - my compulsion, and file checking/backup system, are intertwined with the expectation of continous file numbers.

I know I fixed something similar way back in the K-10D days and described it here on the Forum, but I do not remember what I did, and I can not seem to see my oldest Forum posts. Is there a time limit or number of posts limits as to how far back one can go?

10-07-2022, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
K33_9462
538 images to go, then you start again at K33_0001 -> insert a card with the last image named K33_1793 and the camera should name the next file K33_1794

I don't know if there is another way to do change the file names back, but as the counter resets itself anyway every 10.000 images I don't see the need to do so.
10-07-2022, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #3

I think if you go into the memory settings and disable file number it will start numbering from what ever the highest number is found on any of the cards. You should turn the camera off to clear the number memory after you change the memory setting.
10-07-2022, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think if you go into the memory settings and disable file number it will start numbering from what ever the highest number is found on any of the cards. You should turn the camera off to clear the number memory after you change the memory setting.
Or simply format the card after downloading the files to the computer.

10-07-2022, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5

My understanding the OP doesn't want to reset to 0001 but start over from 1255. So if xxx_1255 is the highest number file found on the cards after clearing the file number memory the next file saved should be xxx_1256.
10-08-2022, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding the OP doesn't want to reset to 0001 but start over from 1255. So if xxx_1255 is the highest number file found on the cards after clearing the file number memory the next file saved should be xxx_1256.
Seems simple. Rest then add a card with the last legit file name and shoot another shot and all will be back to normal. Or just put a 9999 file in and shoot one and then a card with 1255 would follow and the next would be 1256.
10-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes.

Some version of this worked - i.e. I reset variously the file number and folder number, and actually did a camera reset, too - while I had a card in the camera with the highest (desired!) file number.

Other than loosing a couple of custom white balances in the reset, all is now fine.

THANK YOU, Not a Number! and the others that made suggestions.

---------- Post added 10-08-22 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Seems simple. Rest then add a card with the last legit file name and shoot another shot and all will be back to normal. Or just put a 9999 file in and shoot one and then a card with 1255 would follow and the next would be 1256.
I think you mean "reset" not "rest" - but yes, that (a reset) seems to work, as indicated in my response to Not a Number as well.

10-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I think you mean "reset" not "rest" - but yes, that (a reset) seems to work, as indicated in my response to Not a Number as well.
Yes. Lol.
10-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #9

Ok, it looks like if you changed the File No. setting to Reset File Number it will reset the number back to 0001 each time a new folder is created. So if you set it to this, created a new folder, it would reset the number to 0001. If you changed the FIle No. setting back to sequential it should probably start from what the highest number found on any of the cards in the camera is.

Less work than resetting everything and having to redo you user modes.