Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #1

software

I am wondering for recommendation on software to edit photos taken by pentax cameras k-1 and k-3 iii. Any suggestions which are the best?
Thank you

10-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mariuszk Quote
I am wondering for recommendation on software to edit photos taken by pentax cameras k-1 and k-3 iii. Any suggestions which are the best?
Thank you
Broad question. My favorite is DXO Photolab. But support for some Pentax cameras (older) and some lenses isn’t there if you want the automatic corrections. I don’t find I have issues but I don’t have your cameras. I shoot an original k-3 and a KP.

The free Pentax bundled software isn’t bad either but not my cup of tea.

Lightroom is ok - but I’m not interested in their business model.
10-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do you shoot most - JPEG or RAW (DNG)? Those two have different recommendations, and some software will only handle one or the other. Also, by your reference to "photos", we assume you're referring to stills and not video or do you also want video recommendations?
10-10-2022, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you
I like Adobe products. They've been doing it the longest, and overall I think they do it the best. I don't know if they still offer it, but Photoshop Elements is a very stripped down version of Photoshop which is more than adequate for all but fairly advanced editing. Since it has the Adobe interface, it is a bit easier to move to the full Photoshop suite if one's needs grow.

A lot of people don't like the Adobe business model of pay by the month, essentially renting it. I'm not going to delve into the why's of the way they do it, but I am finding I am spending less on software now than I was buying upgrades when they came out.

Anyway, there's lots of good stuff out there, I've been using Photoshop since any of them hit the market and I've seen no reason to switch.

10-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I used Photoshop Elements in the past and found it very feature rich and easy to use. I think the price is pretty reasonable also. PaintShop Pro is also not bad. But you need a decent CPU\GPU to run it. I have a 6th gen i5 Windows laptop with the 520U GPU and it really lags. (Replacing with a newer desktop unit tomorrow). A lot of decent options out there. The GIMP is an open-source editor that is pretty good with lots of features but there is a bit of a learning curve. You have to add a RAW editor to it though.

Not sure what the budget is. FastStone is a nice freeware editor that can also handle RAW files. It's a bit slow (on my current machine) with RAW files but pretty fast with JPEG.

All depends on your needs really.
10-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't know if they still offer it, but Photoshop Elements is a very stripped down version of Photoshop which is more than adequate for all but fairly advanced editing.
They do:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html?utm_camp...oaApfAEALw_wcB
10-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A lot of people don't like the Adobe business model of pay by the month, essentially renting it. I'm not going to delve into the why's of the way they do it, but I am finding I am spending less on software now than I was buying upgrades when they came out.
I actually like the cost. I agree that a subscription like theirs is no more costly than periodic upgrades. It isn’t that I object to.

My objection is to how they handled my yearly commitment but monthly payment. I had decided to leave after less than six months and notified them but because I paid monthly but it was on a yearly commitment - I had to finish the year. I agreed but requested they set an automatic end to my subscription at the end of the year. They refused and of course as expected I missed the deadline due to my not paying anttention and they renewed. I stopped payment via my bank and they told me I was no longer welcome to use their services. Less than three months later they were begging me to sign up again.

I feel they were predatory and slimy about the whole thing and I don’t want to get in bed with them again. Most people will not have any problem with them. The software is fine - there’s just nothing in it I prefer over DXO.

10-10-2022, 11:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you
Windows, mcOS or Linux? (I know in USA mcOS is very common, very different to Europe)

I still use WIN8.1 (because I don't like the spying of 10 or 11, similar to google... just study "DCN-Google-Data-Colletion-Paper" for this)

I consider changing over to Linux which means a lot of new learning as my software won't work as it did before.
I tried Linux Mint for a while but didn't like Wine for using Adobe PS.

As I started with Adobe PS7 long time ago (similar to CS2) I stayed with PS and use:
- Lightroom 5
- CC2017
- CS2 (for simple quick work)
10-10-2022, 11:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Affinity from Serif is another option, cost is around £50, & updates to the
current version are free. There is a free trial on the serif website.
10-11-2022, 12:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you
No suggestion as to the "best", but probably the best value-for-money is Digital Camera Utility that came supplied with your camera.
Upgraded to v5.9.4 (see here Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING ) it's quite competent, if a little "different".
The big advantage (apart from being free) is that it "knows" all about your Pentax cameras and most, if not all Pentax a/f lenses
10-11-2022, 02:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Does anyone else here use Corel PaintShop Pro? I've been using it for about ten years - it does all the editing I want to do and does it quite well. It has so many features that I've probably used less than 10% of it. Although a new version comes out every year, I have upgraded it only every 2 or 3 years (latest is 2023 but I'm using the 2022 version) - including the initial cost, that has worked out at about £20 per year.

Philip
10-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the 2021 version of Corel PSP and do like it. I used PSP for years. What is odd is I also have the Corel After Shot Pro 3 and it would not import my RW2 Lumix RAW files. It does handle Oly ORF RAW and Pentax DNG though. The main PSP program will import RW2 files though. Thinking of upgrading to the 2023 version.
10-11-2022, 07:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
...I also have the Corel After Shot Pro 3 and it would not import my RW2 Lumix RAW files...
If you want to use the more fully-featured AfterShot Pro with your Lumix raw files, you could try the free Adobe Digital Negative Converter to produce DNG files from your RW2s.

Pbilip
10-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks. I did think of that. It's a good idea. But I just went ahead and upgraded to the 2023 version of PSP and it's AfterShot photo lab handles the RW2 files just fine. So far, I like the 2023 version and it will probably replace both SILKYPIX SE 8 (RW2 Files) and OM Workspace (ORF Files). I wanted a single solution for all my RAW formats and this looks like it should do the trick. The only issue is it loads really slow on my ancient gen 6 dell laptop. But I have a new desktop machine coming today, so that will fix that issue.
10-11-2022, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

I still use WIN8.1 (because I don't like the spying of 10 or 11, similar to google... just study "DCN-Google-Data-Colletion-Paper" for this)
...so that companies from Apple to Zyliss can pay Google for putting an ad in front of the big ol' basket of similar users that includes your anonymized Advertising ID Number, and those companies hoping the ad is one you find relevant. But I digress.

So back on topic, I've been an Adobe user since CS3, and a current annual subscriber to the photo bundle. At the same time, I'm becoming a bigger fan of DxO and Topaz which I find myself using just as often as Lightroom now. For business I'll continue with the Adobe suite as I seldom need much in the way of photo processing anyway. I primarily use it for design work and sharing files between my business and clients, so it doesn't cost me anything extra to use it at home too for its cataloging tools if nothing else.

If I didn't have a business use for both Topaz and Adobe, I'm pretty sure I could go with just DxO PhotoLab and Filmpack and cover all my needs. It's a nicely integrated and well-designed software package.
So my vote for a home user goes to DxO.