Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2022, 03:46 AM   #1

K70 firmware will not update

Hi

I have just aquired a K70 camera with V1.0 firmware, and I'm trying to upgrade to the latest version. I have downloard from the website, extracted the file, copied the .bin file to the root directory of the SD card, naviagted to correct screen on the camera, but the update option is not available. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Keith

10-11-2022, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Detrey Quote
naviagted to correct screen on the camera, but the update option is not available
Most Pentax cameras update the firmware by turning the camera on while holding down the MENU button. Give that a try.

Make sure the card has been formatted before copying the .bin file, and that you have a full battery.
10-11-2022, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

As pschlute suggested ^^^

The "correct screen" is merely a FYI … the update itself is performed by following the instructions included on the download page Latest PENTAX K-70 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING … you'll need to scroll down a bit to Updating Procedure
10-11-2022, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Most Pentax cameras update the firmware by turning the camera on while holding down the MENU button. Give that a try.

Make sure the card has been formatted before copying the .bin file, and that you have a full battery.
Not most but many. There are quite a few which show the firmware in the menu and then have the option to update,
Not so the K70. Press menu and switch the camera on.

For such things one can always read in the manual, it's all there!

10-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

As per the instructions linked above make sure the file is named:

Fwdc234b.bin

If you had previously extracted a version in the same directory the most recent extracted file may get renamed. If this is the case archive the old version and rename the file to the proper name. Windows usually will rename it as Fwdc234b(x).bin Mac will do something similar.

If the 234 number doesn't match then you downloaded the firmware for another camera.
10-11-2022, 10:06 AM - 3 Likes   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Peter

Many thanks for your support. It worked a treat.

Regards

Keith
04-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
firmware update k70

I downloaded the firmware but has to be extracted from zip file. to do that I have to pay $54 . Is there a way to download without paying this amount of money.

04-20-2023, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by korokan Quote
I downloaded the firmware but has to be extracted from zip file. to do that I have to pay $54 . Is there a way to download without paying this amount of money.
Something is not right here!! I have updated the firmware in a KS2, K70, and KP and it is COMPLETELY FREE!!! DO NOT PAY!!!!!! I SUSPECT A SCAM!!
04-20-2023, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by korokan Quote
Your situation certainly is strange.

What program or application are you using to extract the .bin file from the Zip file?

From what source did you download the Pentax firmware? The Ricoh Imaging website?

What entity is charging $54?

- Craig
04-20-2023, 11:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I too would be wary of updates which were not directly from the Ricoh website.
04-20-2023, 07:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was able to download B1free archiver to open the zip file. but I still cant load it in the camera..
04-20-2023, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get rid of that software, it sounds like a scam.
Any modern PC can extract a ZIP file without any add-on software. What's your computer's operating system?
Only download the firmware from the Ricoh site.
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_digital.html