Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #1

My new K-70 has a slightly blueish color profile

Hello to all

I made some tests and images with y new K-70, and noticed that the colour profile is slightly on the blueish side if I compare the images with my old K200D.
Is there a trick that you can share? Is there a setting that can be changed permanently?
As far as I know, this is not possible as it is the camera software itself that is responsible for that.
The color space is sRGB and AWB is set.
I have the K-70 PDF, and it says something about settings for white balance, but that seems to be for each single shot.
What I would want to change is the camera setting itself.
Honestly, I have so many options in the settings compare to the K200D, I'm literally overwhelmed and I don't know where to look for what I want, which is a less lurid colour for blue.

I attached a sample image, the first one that I took and which shows the problem that I have got. Hopefully, your monitor profile is not the opposite

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Last edited by Simone-in-Wiltshire; 10-13-2022 at 08:44 PM.
10-13-2022, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That might be the difference between the sensors.
The K200D uses an older CCD sensor vs. the K-70 that uses a CMOS sensor.

You could try increasing the 'colour temperature' to 'warm up' the image. The options are within the white balance options and can sorta mimic the look.
I've heard of others dedicating whole colour profiles trying to mimic the look of the older CCD sensors...

---------- Post added 10-13-22 at 09:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simone-in-Wiltshire Quote
Honestly, I have so many options in the settings compare to the K200D, I'm literally overwhelmed
Maybe my overview tutorial video can help somewhat:

---------- Post added 10-13-22 at 09:49 PM ----------

Is there a trick that you can share? Is there a setting that can be changed permanently?
Not in-camera, I believe.
There may be presets you could make in post-production, but I am not sure of the specifics.
10-13-2022, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The color space is sRGB and AWB is set.
AWB - NO! NO! NO! This is going to vary from shot to shot. And, I would not be surprised there are differences between cameras.

Set a specific WB. I could believe there will be minor differences between cameras for this.
10-13-2022, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
@FozzFoster
Many thanks for you reply.

Actually, I found an old text file where somebody in 2008 had answered the same question that I obviously also had with the K200D:
Next the color. I'm not sure what color the sky was when you made this image, but you might consider checking your camera's white balance. If it's on auto, the camera might see that you're making an image of a bright sun and think that your sky must be all the colors of a sunset. If it was actually bright daylight, you can try to set your white balance to daylight or perhaps cloudy, which are cooler Kelvin temps than a warm sunset, and would likely make your image more blue than this.

I will take test images today (it's still dark outside and I have to start working soon).

I think this can be closed.
Sorry for asking, I should have checked my archive first.

---------- Post added 10-13-22 at 09:02 PM ----------

Thanks AstroDave, that's what I realised when I read this old text from 2008.

10-13-2022, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for asking, I should have checked my archive first.
Always good to have a chat!
Glad you're getting it sorted!
10-13-2022, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Simone!

Personally I can not see a blue tint in the picture. Sure the sky is quite blue and the picture over all has a slight cold color temprature, but I think the main reason ist the image mode, the K-70 is set to. The factory setting is "Bright" which enhances the sky and has a bit more of contrast too I think. Switching to "Natural" might give you a more natural jpeg. There is a bit of white balance to the cool side probably too.

Learn more here about image modes: Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING
Please note also the explanations "Minute parameter setting" on the web site which show you how to additionaly customize the image modes.
10-14-2022, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Hello Simone!

Personally I can not see a blue tint in the picture. Sure the sky is quite blue and the picture over all has a slight cold color temprature, but I think the main reason ist the image mode, the K-70 is set to. The factory setting is "Bright" which enhances the sky and has a bit more of contrast too I think. Switching to "Natural" might give you a more natural jpeg. There is a bit of white balance to the cool side probably too.

Learn more here about image modes: Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING
Please note also the explanations "Minute parameter setting" on the web site which show you how to additionaly customize the image modes.
The standard bright is a bit too pushy to my likings...revert mostly to natural.
Note that these settings impact how jpegs are created mainly, raw allows same but also changes in post processing...

It happened to me on my K3 that I accidentally activated a different WB or custom image mode on the 4 way controller (the left,up,right,down buttons on the back) by carrying around the camera and pushing random buttons.
A tungsten artificial light WB yields very blue pictures of normal daylight scene’s...
On K3 the custom image setting is also on this buttons, and i activated blackwhite setting once. Weird if you expect color pictures and don’t know these settings...(now I know where to look).
On K70 there is the iso setting on the controller. If things get grainy...or you get weird aperture or shutter settings...

10-14-2022, 01:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I made some tests and images with y new K-70, and noticed that the colour profile is slightly on the blueish side if I compare the images with my old K200D.
A characteristic I have noticed recently when making side-by-side test/comparisons of a "countryside" scene using different 28mm lenses on the same camera, is definite colour rendition differences, some were obviously much "cooler" than others.
The same could possibly be true in your instance … for a direct comparison one would need to take the same picture with both cameras using the same lens within a few seconds of each other.
As noted above, the sensor technology differences (CCD v. CMOS) could also have a bearing on the matter, though my K200D shows less tendency to "warmness" than my earlier 6Mpixel cameras.
Enjoy your K-70, it's a fine camera
10-14-2022, 04:01 AM   #9

Having used the K-10D I am of the opinion the rendering was warmer with the K-10D. Current trend is on the cooler side. In this particular picture the WB guessed by the camera was daylight so the shadows are bluer. If you set the WB to cloudy the perceived rendering in the shadows would be warmer although the sunlit part will be warmer also.

You can fiddle with the auto white balance settings in the menu and find a setting to your liking.
Or you can shoot in RAW format and adjust your WB to your liking with a RAW converter.
10-14-2022, 05:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-70 but I think you should be able to fine tune the Auto White Balance (or any other WB preset).

After pressing the WB button to get the white balance screen, you might then need to press the Info button to see a colour square with A and B (amber and blue) and G and M (green and magenta). Use the 4-way buttons to move the central dot away from blue to e.g. M1 and A2. This should make every image captured with AWB slightly warmer - i.e. less blue and slightly red, so you simply need to adjust these colour values to your own taste. When you are satisfied you can then ignore these settings - they should stay as you have set them.

Philip
10-14-2022, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I find that white balance is rarely what I want straight out of camera, even on mirrorless cameras which "see" the whole scene rather than relying on a lower resolution sensor. The most common problem is that they need warmed up a little but any of the WB presets can be tuned to your liking in the settings, even auto.
10-14-2022, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K200D auto white balance and exposure work surprisingly well considering how old the camera is.

In fact, I wish my K-3 was as good as the K200D in those areas, while I had it. I'm not sure about the K-70 but that image looks very similar to what I was getting out of my K-3. The Sony sensors have a colder rendering with more blues, while at the same time the greens have a lot more yellow in them. Colors - and that is a subjective, personal interpretation - to me aren't as accurate as those in the K200D or even the K20D (Samsung sensor).

The K-S1 and K-S2 (I have both) seem to be more accurate - for my taste - in terms of color, white balance and exposure - about the same as the K200D. The files are much easier to process as well, with no undesirable color tints showing up when you mess with the color balances. I have suspicions that the 20MP sensor is not made by Sony but I've already posted about that in another thread.

Usually trying to fix the problem with the blue tint in the K-3 ruined other colors. It was very, very difficult to post process K-3 images for someone like me, who was used to great colors and easy handling files from the K10D, K200D and K20D. Which is why I ended up selling the K-3 and have stuck with the K-S1 and K-S2 for my newer, better low light bodies. I suspect that the KP is better than the K-70 and K-3 but haven't made the jump to it yet...
10-14-2022, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first thing I noticed is the prominence of dark areas in the frame causing overexposure of the areas in sunlight, which can get near to washout and gives a colder look. Better to expose for good result in the sunlit areas, then bring up shadows a bit in post- a "fill-flash" effect. Can be done with JPEG images also, as I have done quite often. It does not take much tweaking.

As kypfer said, the lens used can matter too. Unless the lens is of such caliber to keep it "pure", a multi or super multi-coated skylight filter will have a very slight warming effect, and be a simple solution, and without a downside if a top quality filter is used.
10-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulation on the K-70 Simone.

I assume you are shooting jpg only. It looks like the default Bright profile, which is too saturated for my taste. (Look at the red tops of people in the street and the blue cardigan of the lady in the shade.) As @Papa_Joe and @mlag suggested, try Natural instead.

If you wish you can tweak the jpg profile to taste (including changing the white balance) and save it as a new profile. That would give you a repeatable setting.

The other option would be to choose the manual AWB setting you would like for a scene like this and save the settings to a User Mode (call it Daylight or something). You could have a different one for evening or for artificial tungsten light if you like.

Or, of course, you could do what most of us here do and shoot in RAW (or RAW + jpg). Then you can easily change the WB in post-processing. In a scene like this you can meter from the clouds.
I found a similar difference going from the K100D Super (CCD sensor) to the K-30 (CMOS sensor). There are a few threads about how to replicate the CCD look if you are interested: e.g. Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Des; 10-14-2022 at 05:15 PM.
10-14-2022, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
hi to all,

Don't be surprised that I only reply in the morning UK time. I'm an early bird, and I'm too tired after work to turn on my laptop.

I have ran tests yesterday and I have to say that I'm not happy with the K-70. I'm even thinking about returning it.

I made a picture from all settings that AWB allow, and not really one of them made me happy. If so, the Shade was the only non-blueish. @eric1965, you nailed it.

I then noticed that the camera doesn't work well with my Sigma lens which I bought for the K200D some years ago. All images are blurry. I used Autofocus on which I rely on.
The problem with the lens that I got with the camera is it can't go close enough to objects as the Sigma lens allows. That makes the camera useless. I love taking images of my garden and how little insects, bees etc enjoy it. I often take images in a position, where I can't look through the finder and adjust the sharpness, and I rely on Autofocus. Also, when I take images from the left to the right to merge then 2 and more images into a Panorama image, it requires that all images are sharp.

@Papa_Joe, I have set the "Bright" to "Natural. Let's see. I will take the old and new camera with me this morning.
That you can't see the slightly blueish shadow behind the woman on the right means that your monitor profile is different.
When I bought my Linux laptop, this was my biggest fear that I end up with a monitor color that is awful. We have had lots of laptops over the years (we get every 4 years new hardware, and I turned all of the old ones into Linux systems and gave them to a charity organisation). The worst ones are ASUS Gaming laptops. If the color profile of the hardware is rubbish, you can't do anything about this.

@kypfer, thanks for giving me hope.

@Des, thanks for your congratulations, I have now set the camera back to AWB Auto and changed Bright to Natural.

@ChristianRock, I'm glad that you made the same experience with the K200D. I also had never any reason to complain about this camera. I think when they started to add videos to the cameras, that made a huge change and they no longer were as good as it used to be.

@mikesbike, I will try the Natural setting and hopefully this makes the images more natural.

Last edited by Simone-in-Wiltshire; 10-14-2022 at 08:47 PM.