Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2022, 04:17 AM   #1
New Member
takin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Image Transmitter 2 / K-1 - 'Unable to connect with camera'

Hi!

Tested on three computers (all with much higher specifications than the IT2 requirements), with two K-1s and 10 different USB-micro cables. Boot order has no effect on the problem - tested. The computers are Windows PCs (8.1 and 10). The IT2 starts up without a problem, but when it tries to connect to the camera, the message "Unable to connect to camera" appears. After trying to force a connection (with a button in the software), the name of the camera "Pentax K-1" is displayed for a while, and then it quits. It doesn't hang, it just closes as if you had pressed "exit".

According to the IT2 manual, the camera's USB connection is set to PTP. When the camera is connected to the computer, nothing can be done on it i.e. everything ok. It is only when you start IT2 and try to make a connection that the camera is disconnected from the computer (whole body function returns) and IT2 stops working properly.

Please help me as I have run out of ideas!

10-19-2022, 06:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian
AfterPentax Mark II's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,458
QuoteOriginally posted by takin Quote
Hi!

Tested on three computers (all with much higher specifications than the IT2 requirements), with two K-1s and 10 different USB-micro cables. Boot order has no effect on the problem - tested. The computers are Windows PCs (8.1 and 10). The IT2 starts up without a problem, but when it tries to connect to the camera, the message "Unable to connect to camera" appears. After trying to force a connection (with a button in the software), the name of the camera "Pentax K-1" is displayed for a while, and then it quits. It doesn't hang, it just closes as if you had pressed "exit".

According to the IT2 manual, the camera's USB connection is set to PTP. When the camera is connected to the computer, nothing can be done on it i.e. everything ok. It is only when you start IT2 and try to make a connection that the camera is disconnected from the computer (whole body function returns) and IT2 stops working properly.

Please help me as I have run out of ideas!
If I am right you must start IT2, attach the USB cable to the computer and only then switch the camera on. If I read your description of how you set the system up, it seems that the camera is already on before you start IT2 and make the connection. And of course you must have set the camera to PTP before you connect the camera to the computer.
10-19-2022, 06:33 AM   #3
New Member
takin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I am right you must start IT2, attach the USB cable to the computer and only then switch the camera on. If I read your description of how you set the system up, it seems that the camera is already on before you start IT2 and make the connection. And of course you must have set the camera to PTP before you connect the camera to the computer.
I wrote earlier:
'Boot order has no effect on the problem - tested' and 'According to the IT2 manual, the camera's USB connection is set to PTP'
All boot orders tested, with no positive effect.
But thanks for trying to help.
10-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 567
is the little red lite on the K-1 back blinking while you try to get connection? If yes you have to wait. The cam is registering all Pictures on the card. After that action it should get connection. Tip try a smaller SDHC Card to get faster feedback if it works or delete all pictures on the card.

10-19-2022, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
New Member
takin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Original Poster
Problem solved!

I managed to get an earlier version of IT2 update 2.3.0. Everything works without any problems. I will, however, continue the discussion with Ricoh. If there is anything new on the IT2 2.6.1 / K-1 issue, I will add to the thread.
10-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #6
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,390
QuoteOriginally posted by takin Quote
I managed to get an earlier version of IT2 update 2.3.0. Everything works without any problems. I will, however, continue the discussion with Ricoh. If there is anything new on the IT2 2.6.1 / K-1 issue, I will add to the thread.
Thank you, please do. This is timely for me because I acquired IT, but haven't installed it yet. My need for it dried up and so I have put off the installation.
10-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
New Member
takin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Original Poster
I have tested all versions of the IT2 update. My K-1 (firmware v2.0) works without problems on 2.2.0, 2.2.1, 2.3.0, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, 2.5.0 and 2.6.0, on 2.6.1 it does not work. It is not easy to find earlier versions of the update. I am attaching the highest working one i.e. 2.6.0. As I wrote earlier, if Ricoh writes something interesting about 2.6.1 I will of course add it to the thread.

Attached Files
File Type: zip IT2Updater_260E(Win).zip (1.66 MB, 33 views)
10-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 126
QuoteOriginally posted by takin Quote
I have tested all versions of the IT2 update. My K-1 (firmware v2.0) works without problems on 2.2.0, 2.2.1, 2.3.0, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, 2.5.0 and 2.6.0, on 2.6.1 it does not work. It is not easy to find earlier versions of the update. I am attaching the highest working one i.e. 2.6.0. As I wrote earlier, if Ricoh writes something interesting about 2.6.1 I will of course add it to the thread.

I can confirm that!
10-21-2022, 04:37 AM   #9
pid
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 567
I don't have any problems with K-1 (firmware v2.0) and Image Transmitter v2.6.1 on MacOS 12.6
Only the new Custom Image-Mode KYUSHU is not there in IT2, but that's no problem. IT2 works as it should and did before.

Last edited by pid; 10-21-2022 at 05:07 AM.
10-21-2022, 05:15 AM   #10
New Member
takin's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
I don't have any problems with K-1 (firmware v2.0) and Image Transmitter v2.6.1 on MacOS 12.6
Only the new Custom Image-Mode KYUSHU is not there in IT2, but that's no problem. IT2 works as it should and did before.
Then congratulations. Admittedly it's not in the title, but in the description of the problem it already is - it's about Windows on PC.
10-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #11
pid
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 567
QuoteOriginally posted by takin Quote
Then congratulations. Admittedly it's not in the title, but in the description of the problem it already is - it's about Windows on PC.
so we all know now, it is only a problem of the windows version. I just wanted to give a feedback from mac side. Thought that might help.
12-13-2023, 03:27 AM   #12
yac
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by takin Quote
I have tested all versions of the IT2 update. My K-1 (firmware v2.0) works without problems on 2.2.0, 2.2.1, 2.3.0, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, 2.5.0 and 2.6.0, on 2.6.1 it does not work. It is not easy to find earlier versions of the update. I am attaching the highest working one i.e. 2.6.0. As I wrote earlier, if Ricoh writes something interesting about 2.6.1 I will of course add it to the thread.
Man you saved me !
I tried to get this stuff to work for 2 years (I just found this thread today)
Thank you so much.

Last edited by OrchidJulie; 12-13-2023 at 08:12 AM. Reason: veiled profanity
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, computer, computers, connection, image transmitter, image transmitter 2, it2, k-1 'unable, pentax help, photography, tethering, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 III and Image Transmitter wkraus Pentax K-3 III 41 12-22-2023 08:10 PM
Cannot find Image Transmitter installer Grokh Pentax K-3 III 21 09-30-2021 05:49 AM
Error Tapatalk on windows phone unable to connect to pentaxforum raider Site Suggestions and Help 4 07-19-2013 04:16 PM
x-5 unable to connect to computer bkcer Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 06-23-2013 10:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top