Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash Controller Stuck In Hot Shoe

I have a Pentax KP and manual Flash controller YN560-TX and I put the controller in the shoe backwards. Now it is stuck, and I can't remove it. What is holding it in and how do I release it?
Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks Randal

10-21-2022, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #2

The Pentax flash shoe has a hole for a retractable pin at about the 11 o'clock position looking down at the show with the lens at 12 o'clock. One of the contact pins on the controller dropped into the hole.

Depending on how long the pin is and if it is rounded or tapered you might be able to slip a thin sheet of metal, e.g. feeler gauge, in there to retract the pin.

Otherwise you might be able to disassemble the foot on the controller. You might need an offset screwdriver to get into tight spaces.

Failing that I'm afraid you might have to destroy the controller by cutting up the foot to release the pin.

I did the same with a cheap flash extension cord. Fortunately since it was cheap taking the foot apart was as simple as sliding the shell off.

I suppose Pentax/Ricoh gets around this by making the "heel" of the shoe longer from the center pin than the "toe" is. That way should you put the flash or accessory on backwards the pins won't line up. A subtlety third parties don't pick up.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-21-2022 at 11:32 AM.
10-21-2022, 05:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Turn the whole thing upside down, and the pin may come lose enough you can wiggle it off.
10-21-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

FYI:
TTL cord stuck on k70 hotshoe - PentaxForums.com
Altura flash transmitter stuck on the hotshoe - PentaxForums.com

Note: I edited the thread title to make it more meaningful.

Edit: From what I can see there are at least four screws on the bottom of the unit (typical) holding the foot on. You probably will need an offset screwdriver. I haven't seen any for JIS smaller than #1.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQc3ITtuuiDrqJ6C0OPa...t1b9D-2lt9B9PQ

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-21-2022 at 08:02 PM.
10-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the info. I have it (the Controller) out of the camera hot shoe. I use a feeler gauge stiff enough to move the pins (there were five of them).
So Thanks again problem solved.
10-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #6

Glad it was a fairly simple fix. Not always the case as can been seen in the above linked threads.