Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2022, 10:34 PM   #1

Spotmatic SP meter stays at + limit when switched on

I just bought a Spotmatic which looks to be in generally good condition. While it's not essential, I'd like to have the meter working if possible. For now, I am using a SR927SW 1.55V, inserted with the + side inward to the camera, and a ring cut from heat shrink to insulate the sides of the battery.

The meter powers on, because the needle moves to the + position. Other than that, it doesn't react to changes in aperture, shutter speed, or ISO. Only switching to ISO 100/ B shutter speed drops the needle back to minimum. So far, I've only cleaned the contacts that I can easily access: bottom of the battery cover, the battery compartment thread, the contact tab for the + side of the battery, and the contact terminal of the battery compartment. In addition to that, the tab in the camera that makes contact with the battery compartment terminal. I used contact cleaner for all these.

What should I look at next? I realize it means going a bit deeper into the camera, and I'm sure this topic has been covered, but would appreciate any links to the best information on troubleshooting this.

10-29-2022, 11:29 PM   #2

Service manuals for the Spotmatics can be found online:
https://learncamerarepair.com/product.php?product=11

If the meter movement needs to be replaced the K1000 movement can be adjusted and modified for Spotmatics
Pentax 23704-J100 Meter Movement | K1000 Old | Spotmatic | USCamera
10-30-2022, 12:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, negative goes to the cap. Here is my list of batteries for the Sp (not SPF). Note they are not all full size. You can also use a hearing aid battery size 302
LR41,AG3, Vinnic S936S, SR 45, LR45, SR936S, SG9, AG9.
The LR41 size fits with a spacer. its size is 7.9x3.6
The normal battery size is 9.5x3.6
10-30-2022, 02:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the information.

If I can get the meter working I would perhaps get the adapter that drops the voltage. I have handheld meters that I can use, so it's mainly bloodymindedness that makes me want to get the camera working with the metering it had originally. That simple TTL metering method is also what I had in my first SLR, so I enjoy that relatively bare bones way of taking photos.