Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2022, 06:01 AM   #1

WG-1 battery won’t hold its charge

I have a Pentax WG-1 that I use whilst hiking in the mountains. Over the last year or so the battery(s), even when not in use, depletes rapidly. Thinking this was the just the actual battery(s) that needed renewing I recently purchased a couple of new ones. When I loaded one into the camera it was fully charged so I took a couple of photos to check all was well and was amazed that the battery had lost a third of its charge. Thinking this was because the battery was new I recharged it, reloaded it to the camera and checked it was fully charged and it was. The very next day without using the camera the battery was fully depleted again. What do I need to do?

11-06-2022, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

From what you say something in the camera is causing a power drain even when it's off, so maybe a reset of the camera?

If yours is the GPS version, the GPS in this camera is a battery killer, so maybe switch it off until actually needed?

Also, might be worth testing the new batteries by fully charging them both, then put one in the body and leave the other out. If the one that's out holds it's charge vs the one in the body, repeat the exercise swapping the batteries. If the battery in the body always discharges you'll have at least proven the two new batteries are ok and the fault is in the body. There's always a chance that the new batteries are faulty.

Last edited by JohnX; 11-06-2022 at 06:45 AM.
11-06-2022, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Assuming you've confirmed with genuine new Pentax batteries that the behaviour is very similar to your existing batteries (i.e. more probable that the camera is the issue rather than the batteries), see if the battery contacts in the camera are clean, to make sure the camera is reading the battery's properties accurately (i.e. the batteries are truly flat rather than simply appearing to be flat).

Also consider resetting your camera if that doesn't resolve anything.

If you're saying that the battery appears to lose 1/3 of its charge immediately after taking a few photos with a freshly charged battery, that feels like a problem with the camera reading its status because I don't think the camera could possibly draw enough energy quickly enough to lose 1/3 that soon unless there was some sort of short circuit. Can you confirm that after very rapidly losing 1/3 of its apparent charge, if the battery is very hot?
11-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Does the camera retain it's date/time setting when the battery is removed?
I don't know about the WG-1, but I've two cameras with faulty internal date/time batteries and they drain the main battery very quickly!

11-06-2022, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I don't know about the WG-1, but I've two cameras with faulty internal date/time batteries and they drain the main battery very quickly!
These date/time batteries are usually connected as a vampire load on the main battery, but if they're good they quit drawing current when charged. On the other hand, if they develop an internal short (which is a common failure mechanism), they'll suck the life out of your main battery (had to put that in considering it was Halloween last Monday).

You can also do a simple test with a fully charged battery (out of the camera) by placing a 500 Ohm resistor across it and seeing what the voltage is in 30 minutes. This allows you to compare it to other batteries using the same test for a relative test of capacity. The test is good for finding a bad battery among good ones, but it doesn't give any real information on actual battery capacity.

Last edited by Bob 256; 11-06-2022 at 12:02 PM.
11-06-2022, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You can also do a simple test with a fully charged battery (out of the camera) by placing a 500 Ohm resistor across it and seeing what the voltage is in 30 minutes
This is why EVERYBODY should have a drawer full of resistors and a voltmeter

(but more likely to have a 470 or 560 ohm resistor! Either would work here.)
11-07-2022, 12:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
All great answers. Thanks very much everyone.

---------- Post added 11-07-22 at 12:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
No, I have to reset the date/time every time. This could be the problem, thank you

---------- Post added 11-07-22 at 12:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
From what you say something in the camera is causing a power drain even when it's off, so maybe a reset of the camera?

If yours is the GPS version, the GPS in this camera is a battery killer, so maybe switch it off until actually needed?

Also, might be worth testing the new batteries by fully charging them both, then put one in the body and leave the other out. If the one that's out holds it's charge vs the one in the body, repeat the exercise swapping the batteries. If the battery in the body always discharges you'll have at least proven the two new batteries are ok and the fault is in the body. There's always a chance that the new batteries are faulty.
It is the GPS version and you make a good point for everyday use. I will do a reset of the camera as you suggest. I’ve already tested the batteries out in exactly the way you’ve suggested and proved the camera is where the fault lies. Thanks very much

11-07-2022, 05:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Assuming you've confirmed with genuine new Pentax batteries that the behaviour is very similar to your existing batteries (i.e. more probable that the camera is the issue rather than the batteries), see if the battery contacts in the camera are clean, to make sure the camera is reading the battery's properties accurately (i.e. the batteries are truly flat rather than simply appearing to be flat).

Also consider resetting your camera if that doesn't resolve anything.

If you're saying that the battery appears to lose 1/3 of its charge immediately after taking a few photos with a freshly charged battery, that feels like a problem with the camera reading its status because I don't think the camera could possibly draw enough energy quickly enough to lose 1/3 that soon unless there was some sort of short circuit. Can you confirm that after very rapidly losing 1/3 of its apparent charge, if the battery is very hot?
No, the battery doesn’t get warm. When I say it loses a third, I’m going off the battery indicator on the camera screen and not measuring the remaining capacity of the actual battery. But when leaving it overnight it is fully depleted in the morning. I now feel confident that the fault lies within the camera - maybe it’s the internal date/time batteries. Thank you very much for your response, you’ve been most helpful.
11-07-2022, 05:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
These date/time batteries are usually connected as a vampire load on the main battery, but if they're good they quit drawing current when charged. On the other hand, if they develop an internal short (which is a common failure mechanism), they'll suck the life out of your main battery (had to put that in considering it was Halloween last Monday).

You can also do a simple test with a fully charged battery (out of the camera) by placing a 500 Ohm resistor across it and seeing what the voltage is in 30 minutes. This allows you to compare it to other batteries using the same test for a relative test of capacity. The test is good for finding a bad battery among good ones, but it doesn't give any real information on actual battery capacity.
Thanks Bob,
I’m convinced that it is the date/time batteries that are at fault. Thanks again
11-07-2022, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hikerdudie Quote
Thanks Bob,
I’m convinced that it is the date/time batteries that are at fault. Thanks again
Highly likely but there is a plethora of other things in your camera which could be responsible. Lot's of little potential vampires in there

Probably cheaper to look for a replacement than to have it serviced but you might get a quote if you want to go that route.
11-07-2022, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Bob,
I don't know/have the WG1 but I know something about batteries:
Everything I wrote about the original Pentax D-LI90 here:
Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01, 645Z and 645D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

goes of course as well for an original Pentax battery for the WG1.

Clone batteries of those small Pentax cameras are even more prone for less capacity than the

D-LI90-clones and all other clones use a cheat resistor instead of a temperature sensor.
Wasabi as well. That's why they don't have any UL certification!

Google "Wasabi battery + UL certification": 0 results!
11-07-2022, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I don't know/have the WG1 but I know something about batteries:
Everything I wrote about the original Pentax D-LI90 here:
Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01, 645Z and 645D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

goes of course as well for an original Pentax battery for the WG1.

Clone batteries of those small Pentax cameras are even more prone for less capacity than the

D-LI90-clones and all other clones use a cheat resistor instead of a temperature sensor.
Wasabi as well. That's why they don't have any UL certification!

Google "Wasabi battery + UL certification": 0 results!
Great information Photogem, thank you very much.

---------- Post added 11-07-22 at 09:57 PM ----------

Highly likely but there is a plethora of other things in your camera which could be responsible. Lot's of little potential vampires in there

Probably cheaper to look for a replacement than to have it serviced but you might get a quote if you want to go that route.
I think this maybe the most sensible option to me rather than repair. Thank you
11-07-2022, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great information Photogem, thank you very much.
And quite important to know.
Many don't even understand that almost every third-party LI-ION battery isn't UL-tested, as much as some claim it is.
The cheap CE is self-imposed and doesn't mean anything.

Regarding replacing what I call the C-MOS backup battery:
On most Pentax DSLR it now means replacing the mainboard, soldering on the mainboard is too critical these days, components to small and tight.
I guess on smaller digital cameras this would be even worse.

But... as such Lithium C-MOS batteries can draw current, one can just cut-off one of the more accessible poles!
Then they won't suck anymore.