Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GRii flaky controls

Hey all,

I'm hoping for any help with troubleshooting my GRii, which has become my most commonly used camera over the past three years. Recently it has developed an issue where when I press some of the buttons, they don't 'hold'.

For example, when I press the review photos button, it will briefly flash the last photo I took but then return to shooting mode. Similarly with the menu button, I see the menu briefly, but it quickly returns to shooting mode.

Another example, when I enter manual focus mode and press the 'up' button to engage the manual focus controls, once I start using the scroll wheel or the +/- buttons to change the focus sometimes it leaves manual focus mode, and I start changing the exposure settings.

I'm not inadvertently touching other buttons when this happens. sometimes turning it on and off helps, other times removing the battery has helped. But the problem hasn't gone away.

I was on the original firmware for the longest time, and I just upgrade to v.3 to see it if would fix things but it hasn't. I'm planning to do a factory reset next.

Any ideas on what could be wrong, or what I could do? I don't want to send it to precision because... precision. And also because as far as I understand they charge a flatrate repair price of around $350 for the GRii, which is more than I'd want to pay after three years of use and not having faith that they'll fully repair the issue. Please correct me if you know differently about the price, or repair experiences with precision for GR cameras.

Thanks in advance!

11-10-2022, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Your problem might be as simple as one bad button that is partly stuck and activating randomly. I think the "Disp" button would cause most of the problems you mentioned, but other buttons could cause it and there's still the chance of multiple controls having problems at the same time.

Electrical contact spray cleaner might help you. Carefully spray it into the camera around the buttons. Don't use too much.

Some buttons on my GR (model i, not ii) became overly sensitive after my camera got wet. I waited several days for it to dry but merely moving the camera could trigger random button presses. My problem improved over time, I guess continued use of buttons scraped off whatever residue was left behind by the water.
11-11-2022, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Your problem might be as simple as one bad button that is partly stuck and activating randomly. I think the "Disp" button would cause most of the problems you mentioned, but other buttons could cause it and there's still the chance of multiple controls having problems at the same time.

Electrical contact spray cleaner might help you. Carefully spray it into the camera around the buttons. Don't use too much.

Some buttons on my GR (model i, not ii) became overly sensitive after my camera got wet. I waited several days for it to dry but merely moving the camera could trigger random button presses. My problem improved over time, I guess continued use of buttons scraped off whatever residue was left behind by the water.
Contact-Spray is a very risky solution. It can help but it can do damage beyond repair.

I never had a GR in my hands so I don't know how to disassemble it but I had many Pentax DSRL with contact problems of the buttons.
Those which are not WR more so but often the On/Off Release-button of the K5-series.

In 95% of all cases it is dirt .... often sweat ... and at times particular sweat can lead to corrosion of contacts.

I have found terrible dirt problems on the buttons on the back side, which is similar to when you open a remote control and clean it.
(again here in most cases sweat).

See:
https://jamiecollinson.com/blog/disassembling-ricoh-gr-for-sensor-cleaning/

So I would disassemble and clean with pure alcool.

Nothing else.
11-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks,

I've started disassembling but the back button contacts are not easily accessible, there is a circuit board as pictured which is screwed to the back panel itself, and the screws are tight they don't want to come out - could they be glued? any advice?

11-11-2022, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember, Pentax screws are JIS, so a true JIS screwdriver such as made by Vessel or Hozan is a good idea.
If they are glued, then with threadlocking laquer. Could well be. Then with some force and a JIS.

JIS 0 or 00

and don't believe people who claim that PH in USA now is JIS, it isn't!
11-11-2022, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions!

I'm not sure I have the tools to get those screws off, so I settled with blowing some air behind the circuit board. However, I was also able to clean the contacts of the shutter button with some rubbing alcohol, which I suspect would be one of the most likely buttons to cause the issues I was describing. So far it has seemed to have done the trick, and I haven't had an issue yet.
11-12-2022, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done!
I am sure the screws must come off, I would if necessary used my precision drill-stand.
But I think it is more likely you don't have proper JIS screwdrivers.