Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arisenfromash Quote
Hi all,

I'm a great fan of older manual lenses, fantastic value vs. quality.
However, my 50mm rikenon lens is full frame giving some unwanted magnification on my crop sensor istd S.
Your 50mm lens isn't giving unwanted magnification because it's full frame, that is happening because it's a 50mm lens.

12-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just to be sure, is this the lauded lens? and is the equivalent of about 90 euro's with the box, manuals and 2 caps a good price? Thanks
Attached Images

12-05-2022, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price seems fair to me. Nicely sharp lens wide open. Images are maybe a bit "clinical". I own one but rarely use it.
12-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arisenfromash Quote
Just to be sure, is this the lauded lens? and is the equivalent of about 90 euro's with the box, manuals and 2 caps a good price? Thanks
That lens is a very good performer and will provide the same image size as a 50mm lens on a FF DSLR or on a 35mm film camera. As long as you are satisfied with the aperture of this lens being f/2.4 as wide open. The only other factor is, this lens is designed specifically for APS-C size sensors and not suitable for use with a FF body, where there would likely be noticeable vignetting (darkness around the outer area of the image).

The FA 35mm f/2 is a FF design, and can thus be used with either type of camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-06-2022 at 04:05 PM.
12-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I got results like those in the following link, I would have no problem using this lens on a full-frame camera;

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL with Pentax K-1 (pics): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The only reason I haven't already done so is the lack of an aperture ring, so all of my full-frame cameras would be pointless to use with this lens. But on a K-1? Sure, why not.
12-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
That lens is a very good performer and will provide the same image size as a 50mm lens on a FF DSLR or on a 35mm film camera. As long as you are satisfied with the aperture of this lens being f/2.4 is wide open. The only other factor is, this lens is designed specifically for APS-C size sensors and not suitable for use with a FF body, where there would likely be noticeable vignetting (darkness around the outer area of the image).

The FA 35mm f/2 is a FF design, and can thus be used with either type of camera.
The vignetting is very modest on my Sony A7RIII.