Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Back Button Focus for Birds?

When shooting in AFC, do you still use back button focus, for fast moving objects like birds?

Or would it be better to use 1/2 press of shutter?

TIA!

11-15-2022, 02:44 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
When shooting in AFC, do you still use back button focus, for fast moving objects like birds?

TIA!
Always use Back Button Focus for everything.

Cheers,
Terry
11-15-2022, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I prefer back button focus, but what ever is best for you is the answer.
11-15-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, I guess I was just wondering if there is more lag using BBF, vs. the shutter. Maybe the 1/2 press of shutter would result in a higher percentage of in-focus images?

11-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm the opposite to the others … I've tried back-button a couple of times and just can't get comfortable with it, possibly because I do use different cameras and the button is in a slightly different place on some cameras … I manage quite well with a shutter-button half-press, but, as with so many features on modern Pentax cameras, the option is there if you want to use it, I doubt there's any lag between one and the other.
The only way you can be reasonably sure of in-focus images is to ensure your chosen focus point is on the subject and the green hexagon focus indicator in the viewfinder is lit when your press the button
11-15-2022, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Always BBF on all my cameras, both Pentax and Nikon.
11-15-2022, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When shooting in AFC, do you still use back button focus
FWIW, there's no need to use anything but AFC when using BBF.

11-15-2022, 05:03 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I guess I was just wondering if there is more lag using BBF, vs. the shutter. Maybe the 1/2 press of shutter would result in a higher percentage of in-focus images?
I think it's more likely to make an error with the 1/2 press of the shutter. Under pressure, you might release too far, and never recover from your mistake.

Keeping the action of taking the picture separate from focusing is what you'll find many sports and action photography photographers do.

It will be because of effectiveness versus 1/2 press, no other reason.
11-15-2022, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Ive done quite a lot of action shooting, some sports being of very fast action. For me, using the 1/2 press constantly with my shutter finger allows me to more instantly fire than using a thumb + finger routine. I've tried both, and for me using a co-ordinated 2-digit system is not quite as fast on the trigger as is single-finger. But what ever works best for the individual would be the best answer.
11-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Ive done quite a lot of action shooting, some sports being of very fast action. For me, using the 1/2 press constantly with my shutter finger allows me to more instantly fire than using a thumb + finger routine. I've tried both, and for me using a co-ordinated 2-digit system is not quite as fast on the trigger as is single-finger. But what ever works best for the individual would be the best answer.
BBF used for most everything. Too may times I've had what I want in BB focus and with half press enabled, taking the shot changes focus from what I wanted.
Hey, three Michigan posters in a row!

Last edited by bspn; 11-15-2022 at 08:31 PM. Reason: grammatical
11-15-2022, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Yeah, I just found 1/2 press awkward that in between shots, Mike, the camera would be refocusing wherever it was currently pointed unless you let go entirely. And it has to refocus from scratch.

With back button focus, it starts from where you took your last shot, that's why it's great for sports.
11-15-2022, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TIA!
I think it is also important which DSLR you use!

I use BBF on all of my Pentax bodies since the K5 and always with AF-C.

But when I press the AF-AE-L button on my KP the "Continuous" of the AF-C is on hold as soon as I let go and then my thumb indexfinter activates the shutterbutton: During that short moment a moving bird (or any other particular fast moving object) can be out of focus already.

I use the DA55-300PLM for birds, it reacts much quicker than the older tele-lenses i had but isn't that fast.

So BBF + AF-C is not always the best solution, a stick has (always) two ends.

So yes: Whatever is best for you.

Last edited by photogem; 11-16-2022 at 10:44 PM.
11-16-2022, 03:54 AM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to use BBF on the K-3 (where I liked the position of the button), but I've gone to shutter button with the KP (where I don't).

Also I often use single point select AF these days and I like to have the thumb free to move the focus point. (That's mainly in AF-S. For birds in flight I use a preset with AF-C and expanded area AF.)

Last edited by Des; 11-16-2022 at 02:18 PM.
11-16-2022, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I used to use BBF on the K-3 (where I liked the position of the button), but I've gone to shutter button with the KP (where I don't). I often use single point select AF these days and I like to have the thumb free to move the focus point.
BBF was one of my quibbles on the KP. The button seems ideally placed on all my other Pentax cameras from the K-S2 up. And then there was this one. The position on my KP was ... odd. I frequently hit the wrong button trying to use it.
11-16-2022, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the back button on my K-3 series cameras for so long that my thumb goes naturally to the back button. Its all a matter of motor muscle memory, do it long enough it becomes second nature. Using the shutter button for target acquisition and shutter release I would regularly inadvertently release the shutter too early.