Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DCU5 Browsing MacOS files

First of all, Hello!

A K70 owner for a year now, loving the camera and operating system. Added the HD DA 55-300 F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE lens to the kit a few months back, finding it great for wildlife. It's good to be here and looking forward to a late in life education!

I need help though, not with the camera but with DCU5 which I'm really keen to master as the perfect RAW converter that replicates the camera systems prior to exporting to other image processing software. I'm using MacOS Ventura 13.01 (problem was there with previous OS), when in Browsing mode (left hand pane) I can set a Home folder, I can move up and down the Mac folder hierarchy however when I get to the bottom level folders where the files are located DCU5 will not recognise any files (RAW images) within the folders (see pic attached (folders are created for daily shoots)) by displaying an arrow to open the folder up.

This is so frustrating and I'm at loss to resolved the issue. I've done search on here without finding this as an issue!

Suggestions please.

Thank you.

Paul

Attached Images

11-18-2022, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using Ventura (13.0.1) as well and don't have a problem with DCU5 (other than that I don't really like it and rarely use it!).

First question -- have you updated DCU5 to the latest version (5.9.5, I believe)?

Using DCU5 I can navigate to the lowest level folder with enclosed images, and I also don't get an arrow showing up. However, a single click on a folder icon results in a "filmstrip" showing all of the images in the folder across the bottom of the window. Then clicking on any of the images in the filmstrip will open that image.

Hope this helps.
11-18-2022, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't use DCU5, but I do use a Mac. My suggestion: download the free version of Adobe Bridge and use that for image file browsing. Right click on the image you want to process and use the "open with" command to specify DCU5 to open your file. You can use Bridge to select from however many raw converters you have installed on your computer.
11-18-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
? Select a folder and the images of that folder should be shown in a filmstrip view as thumbnails. Select one of the thumbnails and the image should be shown in the viewer. Doesn‘t work?

11-18-2022, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
I'm using Ventura (13.0.1) as well and don't have a problem with DCU5 (other than that I don't really like it and rarely use it!).

First question -- have you updated DCU5 to the latest version (5.9.5, I believe)?

Using DCU5 I can navigate to the lowest level folder with enclosed images, and I also don't get an arrow showing up. However, a single click on a folder icon results in a "filmstrip" showing all of the images in the folder across the bottom of the window. Then clicking on any of the images in the filmstrip will open that image.

Hope this helps.
I use the Ventura 13.0.1 also with no problems, I agree with Mark (subsea) that it is important that you are using the latest version of DCU5 (5.9.5), there were problems with an earlier version. Make sure you are in Browser mode, and are seeing the filmstrip or control panel window across the bottom, it is easy to lose these windows (not the most user friendly software}. If you still don't see the files right click on the folder in the file structure and refresh the view. Try that on you parent folder (Pentax K70 Raw) and if needed on the date folder. The program does not seem to refresh the file system if it is open when you add new folders and files. Hopefully this can help.
11-18-2022, 09:13 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Change notes for Mac v5.9.2 state:

QuoteQuote:
Corrected --- A problem in which the scroll position of the file list when specifying a folder to browse depended on the scroll position of the file list of the folder that was being browsed immediately before.
If you are on v5.9.1 this may be the cause of your problem.

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
11-18-2022, 11:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote

Hope this helps.
Thank you Mark, sorted now in that I hadn't toggled the filmstrip Control Panel! Often a simple solution and user error.

Paul

11-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I don't use DCU5, but I do use a Mac. My suggestion: download the free version of Adobe Bridge and use that for image file browsing. Right click on the image you want to process and use the "open with" command to specify DCU5 to open your file. You can use Bridge to select from however many raw converters you have installed on your computer.
Thank you John, sorted now in that I hadn't toggled the filmstrip Control Panel! Often a simple solution and user error. I'll pick up on your Adobe Bridge recommendation.

Paul
11-18-2022, 11:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
? Select a folder and the images of that folder should be shown in a filmstrip view as thumbnails. Select one of the thumbnails and the image should be shown in the viewer. Doesn‘t work?
Now that I've toggled the filmstrip control panel, it works now! Thank you Acoufap.

Paul
11-18-2022, 11:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I use the Ventura 13.0.1 also with no problems, I agree with Mark (subsea) that it is important that you are using the latest version of DCU5 (5.9.5), there were problems with an earlier version. Make sure you are in Browser mode, and are seeing the filmstrip or control panel window across the bottom, it is easy to lose these windows (not the most user friendly software}. If you still don't see the files right click on the folder in the file structure and refresh the view. Try that on you parent folder (Pentax K70 Raw) and if needed on the date folder. The program does not seem to refresh the file system if it is open when you add new folders and files. Hopefully this can help.
Thank you Tom, sorted now that I've toggled the relevant control panel! I agree, it's too easy to lose track of the various windows and not being too intuitive.

Paul
11-18-2022, 11:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Change notes for Mac v5.9.2 state:

If you are on v5.9.1 this may be the cause of your problem.

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Thank you. Now that I've toggled the filmstrip control panel, the user error is sorted!

Paul
11-20-2022, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JustPD Quote
Now that I've toggled the filmstrip control panel, it works now! Thank you Acoufap.

Paul
I‘m happy I could help. 😀