Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2022, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I agree, as I shot for a number of years with the K100D before going to the K200D then the K-5, all bought new after the prices dropped. The K-50, as you say- a very well-performing model, but not near the camera as is the K-5 series, with a more advanced build and much better controls. The K-5 is also not subject to the solenoid aperture control failure as is the K-50 and a number of other non-flagship models. The K-5 series cameras are still highly regarded for performance. Even though my KP and my FF K-1 II are now my main cameras, I still sometimes shoot with my K-5 IIs, especially when I want to employ one of my power-zoom lenses. The smaller models do not have the contacts for the power zoom function. I am totally amazed by a K-5 in decent condition being offered for the price indicated, and with a 6-month warranty!!
As I understand it while the k-5 is a nicer camera and has some more advanced features the k-50 was released after it and fixed a few things including focusing in artificial light. Lastly the k-50 added kaf4 support which the k-5 lacks.

But in my opinion the solenoid issues make buying the k-5 a lower stress option.

11-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
As you know, lenses, at least in the Pentax world, are purchases for life - bodies, at least in the digital era, don't last much longer than mobile phones.
That entirely depends on what you are looking for. I have some Takumars, but I don’t use them very much - they don’t AF. I have an “FA” lens that does AF. Some of my older lenses are more useful with my K-30 than my “DA” lenses are, because the older lenses have aperture rings.
11-25-2022, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

I upgraded from the K100D to the K7 and the improvement in image quality was astonishing.

I'm told the K5 was even better.
11-26-2022, 06:00 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That entirely depends on what you are looking for. I have some Takumars, but I don’t use them very much - they don’t AF. I have an “FA” lens that does AF. Some of my older lenses are more useful with my K-30 than my “DA” lenses are, because the older lenses have aperture rings.
I have some Takumars and other old lenses, including a Chinon 500mm K mount mirror lens which I can use in both M and A because it has a fixed aperture. But I admit I rarely use them. I do have a couple of A lenses that don't autofocus that I use quite a lot - I don't mind manually focussing.

The friend in question has a Tamron Adaptall 28mm with a KA adapter as a 'standard' lens - equivalent to 42mm? Plus a couple of modern zoom lenses. I've advised to spend any extra money on glass rather than cameras, but while that was 100% accurate in film days, in digital land of course the quality of the sensor and its software are important too.

11-26-2022, 08:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

My wife recently purchased a K-5ii second hand. She's since stopped using her original K-5. For us, the K-5s were our first "forever" cameras. Good enough to use until they die.
11-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My wife recently purchased a K-5ii second hand. She's since stopped using her original K-5. For us, the K-5s were our first "forever" cameras. Good enough to use until they die.
And if you use the K5 mainly for manual lenses but with a split-image focusing screen
it is as good as the K5II.
But if AF-lenses are used and AF particular in low-light, the K5II and K5IIs were an amazing step forward.
I remember my son, who got my K5 once for christmas and a year later my K5II. He was amazed what difference it was.
11-26-2022, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
And if you use the K5 mainly for manual lenses but with a split-image focusing screen
it is as good as the K5II.
But if AF-lenses are used and AF particular in low-light, the K5II and K5IIs were an amazing step forward.
I remember my son, who got my K5 once for christmas and a year later my K5II. He was amazed what difference it was.
It is hard to convince T to do anything. The K5iis took about a week to win her over. In comparison, the DA 16-85 took her a year.

11-27-2022, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't use my K-5 II as much as I used to after getting into film and now I've got a different digital body as well. I could see my K-5 II lasting at least another decade. The thing is a tank and it has been extremely reliable. I would definitely pick another K-5 II or IIs over a K-50, -70, etc lower end body. If I really thought I needed a fully compatible KAF4 camera body I would find the money for a newer body like a K-3.