Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 buttons sticking

I have a K-5 whose exposure compensation button and on/off button which are sticking. Is there a lubricant (graphite) I can try to fix this? Do I have to go to a repair center?

12-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LyleC Quote
I have a K-5 whose exposure compensation button and on/off button which are sticking. Is there a lubricant (graphite) I can try to fix this? Do I have to go to a repair center?
Graphite is conductive … not what you want to be introducing into an electrical environment!
When you write "sticking", do you mean physically stiff to depress and return, as though some sugary substance may have been spilt on it, or intermittent contact?
If the former, with a "weather-sealed" camera like the K-5, careful application of some soapy water, with the camera held upside down so the water doesn't flow into the body, maybe sufficient.
If you've got intermittent electrical contact, with a "sealed" body, application of any cleaning substance shouldn't reach the contacts, so you'll need a partial disassembly to either reach the contacts to clean them or replace the switch assembly.
Good luck
12-04-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LyleC Quote
No, you can easely repair it yourself:
Manual/Repair/clean On-Off-Switch / Shutter-Release-Button - PentaxForums.com

Sometimes it helps just to rinse it under very warm, almost hot water, but you want to cover the rest of the camera very well (tape etc.)

I don't like this warm-water-method because the fault usually returns
12-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe a quick shot of circuit cleaner or a drop of lighter fluid would help.

12-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
Maybe a quick shot of circuit cleaner or a drop of lighter fluid would help.
No-no-no-no!!!

You don't want those liquids there at all, they would not only destroy the WR sealing but do further damage deeper down.
Just have a look at the tutorial.
Underneath there is critical electronics which could get destroyed!