Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2022, 06:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K1mkII firmware update problem

Hi,
I have tried several times to update the firmware of my camera, but even I have the instruction followed point after point, when I turn on the came with the menu button pressed nothing happens, and the camera turns on like an ordinary turn on

12-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to be a similar to an initial experience I had with uploading firmware...getting the provide file ".bin" into the root directory. Since that time, using the camera's menu, I format my card from the camera to be upgraded. I take the card to my computer and find it in my files. I delete everything from the card and then copy-paste the .bin file to the card. From there, place the card in the camera, and follow the instructions provided by Pentax. It's assumed the downloaded firmware file extracted correctly to your computer and you saw a file named ".bin".
When I'm done, I return the card to the computer, delete the firmware file and then return the card to the camera to be reformatted.
Side note, as a matter of process, I regularly format the cards before each use...never had one fail since doing adding this to my steps.
12-05-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mojtala Quote
Hi,
I have tried several times to update the firmware of my camera, but even I have the instruction followed point after point, when I turn on the came with the menu button pressed nothing happens, and the camera turns on like an ordinary turn on
Are you using card slot 1 (it wont work if you use 2)
12-05-2022, 07:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Are you using card slot 1 (it wont work if you use 2)
Yes, I do everything according to the instruction. I never had a problem with K10D and K5 updating, but I have not managed with this camera.

12-05-2022, 08:36 AM   #5

Check that you have the Mark II firmware and not the Mark I.

File should be named Fwdc240b.bin
12-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Check that you have the Mark II firmware and not the Mark I.

File should be named Fwdc240b.bin
Hi, the file I have downloaded is called: k1II_v200
It is a WinRAR ZIP file. According to the instruction I didn't need to unzip it on a PC. So, I just put the SD.card directly in the camera (Number 1 of course)
12-05-2022, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a WinRAR ZIP file. According to the instruction I didn't need to unzip it on a PC. So, I just put the SD.card directly in the camera (Number 1 of course)
These are the instructions I see on the Ricoh-Imaging website:

Updating Procedure

• Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
    The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
    Fwdc240b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
    Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc240b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
    If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
  • Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
  • Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera (slot 1) and close card cover.
  • Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
  • "Updates the camera firmware" appears in the LCD monitor.
    Ver: 1.01/1.02/1.03/1.04/1.05/1.20/ 1.21/1.30/1.40 /2.00 →2.10 will be displayed.
  • Press the four-way controller to select "Start" and press the "OK" button.
  • "NOW LOADING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
    Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.
  • When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.
  • Remove the update SD card from the camera.
    *Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].
It reads to me that you must run the .zip file on your computer (the file is self-extracting) in order for it to extract the .bin file, which you then copy onto the SD card.

12-05-2022, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

A zipfile is a compressed file format (a library) that can only be used (read) after extracting the original file(s). As Luftfluss states quite rightly states. Just like you did with the K10d and the K5, because it has always been the same, in a zip file you find the bin file usually accompanied by the instructions how to update.
12-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to unzip the WinRAR ZIP file first to get to the .BIN file which contais the new firmware. Once unzipped copy this .BIN file to the root of the SD card and proceed from there.

Regards

Chris
12-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
You need to unzip the WinRAR ZIP file first to get to the .BIN file which contais the new firmware. Once unzipped copy this .BIN file to the root of the SD card and proceed from there.

Regards

Chris
What he said.....you must unzip thy file. The only file the camera wants is a .bin file.
12-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You never can update any firmware from a "zip"-file, because it is "zipped", i.e. compressed as others already stated.
But it is not a WinRAR-Zip-file but just a "zip-file". You have WinRAR as a "zip and unzip program", that is why it is named WinRAR!

A "zip" file always needs to be unzipped:

You just open the "zip" file, you then can see the "Fwdc240b.bin", you mark it and then you can apply:

"copy to" and you copy it onto your SD card.
12-05-2022, 02:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best to use a clean card (nothing else on it) for updates. Format the card before writing the BIN file to it, follow the instructions luftfluss provided to the letter, and you should be a happy Pentaxian.
12-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Self extracting means no need for the zip tools separately installed. The files still require extraction. Run the file and then put the .bin file on the card.
12-05-2022, 06:04 PM   #14

The K-1 mk II firmware is delivered as a zip file. The K10D and K-5 firmware are delivered as self-extracting (EXE) files for Windows and as zip files for Mac.

The current versions of Windows and MacOS have zip file extraction built-in to the OS and all you need to do usually is double-click on the zip file to start the extraction. Same with self-extracting (EXE) files on Windows. Just double-click on the file. Zip file handling has been in Windows since version 7. I don't recall if XP handled zip files natively.
12-09-2022, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
Thanks to you all kind pals who helped me. Yes, It was my first firmware updating for the K1-II and I expected it extracts itself as it did on the K10D and K5.
Light be with you
Best regards