Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadu007 Quote
That is an excellent question that I hadn't thought about!
I tested my DA* 300mm f/4 on the K-1 and Quick Shift focus DOES work. It shows the cropped framelines, but it does not show the "MF" icon as described above when you are adjusting focus manually while still holding down the shutter button. After adjusting focus manually, further depressing the shutter button on the K-1 does release the shutter.
So my new theory is that Quick Shift is not supported on the K-1 for the much newer HD 24-70 lens but is supported with older lenses in the same period of the K-1's manufacture era.
Again, the best test would be if we have another K-1 user (Mark 1, not Mark 2) who could test this lens for the Quick Shift ability.
1) It seems hard to imagine that in all the time the k-1 has been out along with the 24-70 that this was never reported before. But it could be an error introduced in the firmware you have installed if that’s a newer version.

2) While having another user test this makes sense - it’s also a good idea for you to reset all back to defaults.

3) It isn’t inconceivable that something isn’t working in your lens or camera.

12-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
2) While having another user test this makes sense - it’s also a good idea for you to reset all back to defaults.
Thanks, UncleVanya,
Yes, I did restore to defaults, to no avail. (see one of my earlier replies)
12-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, UncleVanya,
Yes, I did restore to defaults, to no avail. (see one of my earlier replies)
Well poop. I read them all but forgot. I’m sorry.
12-06-2022, 08:05 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
1) It seems hard to imagine that in all the time the k-1 has been out along with the 24-70 that this was never reported before. But it could be an error introduced in the firmware you have installed if that’s a newer version.

3) It isn’t inconceivable that something isn’t working in your lens or camera.
Yes, quickshift works with my K1 and the D-FA 24-70 ED SDM lens. Tested it with 2.0 firmware right before updating to 2.1

12-06-2022, 08:24 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
Yes, quickshift works with my K1 and the D-FA 24-70 ED SDM lens. Tested it with 2.0 firmware right before updating to 2.1
Thanks for checking! And still works after the 2.10 update?
12-06-2022, 09:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for checking! And still works after the 2.10 update?
Yes. I have shutter button focus disabled and use BBF exclusively. If I am holding the BackButton and rotate the manual focus ring, MF shows in the viewfinder and it works as expected, with both 2.0 and 2.1 firmware.
To be clear, my camera is an unmodified K1, not a K1mk2.
12-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is an excellent question that I hadn't thought about!
I tested my DA* 300mm f/4 on the K-1 and Quick Shift focus DOES work. It shows the cropped framelines, but it does not show the "MF" icon as described above when you are adjusting focus manually while still holding down the shutter button. After adjusting focus manually, further depressing the shutter button on the K-1 does release the shutter.
So my new theory is that Quick Shift is not supported on the K-1 for the much newer HD 24-70 lens but is supported with older lenses in the same period of the K-1's manufacture era.
Again, the best test would be if we have another K-1 user (Mark 1, not Mark 2) who could test this lens for the Quick Shift ability.
Maybe it's because the HD Pentax-FA 24-70 lens is not actually a pentax design, but a rebadged Tamron or Tokina?

Regards

Chris

12-07-2022, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have that combination and confirm that QuickShift works as intended. My K-1 was upgraded to MkII and is running the latest 2.10 firmware but it also worked as expected before conversion.
12-07-2022, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K1 II and HD FA 24-70 are sitting on the desk next to me, so just checked, and quickshift is working fine for me. The camera drops into MF when I move the focus ring whilst the shutter release is half-pressed, and the shutter fires when fully pressed.
12-16-2022, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the menu set camera to single shot drive mode, focus priority for AF.S and make sure catch in focus is enabled. After half pressing the shutter, do not let off, just adjust the lens (make sure center point AF is being used), once the lens is defocused, press the shutter all the way (it shouldn't fire), now adjust the lens again and when the subject comes into focus it should just fire on its own.
12-17-2022, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
In the menu set camera to single shot drive mode, focus priority for AF.S and make sure catch in focus is enabled. After half pressing the shutter, do not let off, just adjust the lens (make sure center point AF is being used), once the lens is defocused, press the shutter all the way (it shouldn't fire), now adjust the lens again and when the subject comes into focus it should just fire on its own.
@Kobie, you are my hero! The shutter did release following your instructions exactly. So, I then DISABLED "Catch in focus", and now the K-1 Mark 1 behaves as I thought it should originally:
Half press to Autofocus, keep holding shutter button halfway down, adjust focus manually, press further to release the shutter. Thank you so much!!!

(I didn't realize the camera reset I performed does not disable "Catch in focus"...I never enabled this feature since purchasing the camera. So I did just now "Reset Custom Functions".)

Last edited by dadu007; 12-17-2022 at 03:50 PM.
12-19-2022, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Wow! Good "catch", Kobie!