Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #1

Quick Shift focus not working with K-1 and Pentax-D FA HD 24-70 f/2.8?

Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why the "Quick Shift focus" is not working with my K-1 and my (new used) Pentax-D FA HD 24-70mm lens.
The camera autofocuses fine with this lens. Shutter fires normally with autofocus.
However, if I autofocus, hold down the shutter halfway, then adjust focus manually while holding down the shutter halfway (this is Quick Shift, correct?), and THEN press further for the shutter release, nothing happens. Shutter does not release.
The web page for the lens indicates it is Quick Shift compatible, as is the K-1.
Just yesterday I updated the firmware for the K-1.
What am I doing wrong?
Thx for any help!

12-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadu007 Quote
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why the "Quick Shift focus" is not working with my K-1 and my (new used) Pentax-D FA HD 24-70mm lens.
The camera autofocuses fine with this lens. Shutter fires normally with autofocus.
However, if I autofocus, hold down the shutter halfway, then adjust focus manually while holding down the shutter halfway (this is Quick Shift, correct?), and THEN press further for the shutter release, nothing happens. Shutter does not release.
The web page for the lens indicates it is Quick Shift compatible, as is the K-1.
Just yesterday I updated the firmware for the K-1.
What am I doing wrong?
Thx for any help!
If you have the camera set to release only in focus and you change focus to a point it doesn’t think it’s in focus that will stop the release I think. Try switching to back button autofocus and see if that helps. If I recall back button autofocus disables the focus requirement unless the back button is actively being pressed when the shutter is released.
12-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you have the camera set to release only in focus and you change focus to a point it doesn’t think it’s in focus that will stop the release I think. Try switching to back button autofocus and see if that helps. If I recall back button autofocus disables the focus requirement unless the back button is actively being pressed when the shutter is released.
Hmm...thanks for the quick reply. I tried AF1 and AF2 for the AF button...no change in behavior with either setting (shutter won't release). I also set the K-1 camera to "release priority"...no change with that either.
The Quick Shift focus for this lens DOES work as expected with my K-3 III.
So I guess we can say it's not the lens?
I'm stumped...
12-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can try to make a complete factory reset of the camera settings. Both camera and custom settings.

It may happen sometimes that a camera end up in a strange state after a firmware update. But it is usually solved by resetting all camera settings back to default and then set all settings as desired again.

12-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #5

For me as soon as I move the focus ring, the K1 switches to manual focus mode. The shutter fires whether or not the K1 thinks something is in focus. This is with focus-priority with and without back-button AF with my Pentax-D FA HD 24-70mm on my K1 II.
12-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I thought that with quick shift focus you must halfway press the shutter button, but in keeping the shutter button halfway down the focus should stay locked in, so using quick shift cannot alter the focus lock, the hexagon should stay green and the camera should fire.
12-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
the K1 switches to manual focus mode
By moving the focus ring the K-1 does not switch to manual focus mode, it stays in AF. The lens, however, as soon as you turn the focusring, disengages from either the screwdrive or the motordrive. That is why DAL lenses and some Tamron designed Pentax lenses do not have quick shift focus, because this utility is not incorporated into the lens...

12-06-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you in AF-S Mode or AF-C mode. In AF-C the camera might want to re-confirm focus.
12-06-2022, 01:29 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
By moving the focus ring the K-1 does not switch to manual focus mode, it stays in AF. The lens, however, as soon as you turn the focusring, disengages from either the screwdrive or the motordrive. That is why DAL lenses and some Tamron designed Pentax lenses do not have quick shift focus, because this utility is not incorporated into the lens...
Well, the MF that appears in my viewfinder would disagree.
12-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
I am in AF-S mode. I reset to camera default settings. No change. Arghh.
I think what 77me is referring to is that when you press the shutter halfway to autofocus you will first see the hexagonal focus confirmation icon. Then, assuming you have Quick Shift compatibility, if you adjust the focus ring manually, the "MF" icon lights up in the lower left of the viewfinder. So, for a moment, you are in Manual Focus. I do see that with my K-1, but the shutter doesn't fire by further depressing the shutter button.
I'm wondering if anyone else out there has the K-1 and HD 24-70 combo? i.e., NOT the K-1 Mark II which 77me reports works fine. (And the same lens does Quick Shift on my K-3 III just fine.)
Maybe the K-1 is not, in fact, compatible, even with the latest K-1 firmware?
12-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I thought that with quick shift focus you must halfway press the shutter button, but in keeping the shutter button halfway down the focus should stay locked in, so using quick shift cannot alter the focus lock, the hexagon should stay green and the camera should fire.
I’m probably misremembering.
12-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if the camera will work fine with quick-shift with other lenses.?

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-06-2022 at 04:04 PM.
12-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmm...thanks for the quick reply. I tried AF1 and AF2 for the AF button...no change in behavior with either setting (shutter won't release). I also set the K-1 camera to "release priority"...no change with that either.
The Quick Shift focus for this lens DOES work as expected with my K-3 III.
So I guess we can say it's not the lens?
I'm stumped...
If you haven't already, go through the settings on both cameras and see if something is different, it's easy to have an odd setting that you think would not make a difference, but it may with so many different connected settings.
12-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I wonder if the camera will work fine with quick-shift with other lenses.?
That is an excellent question that I hadn't thought about!
I tested my DA* 300mm f/4 on the K-1 and Quick Shift focus DOES work. It shows the cropped framelines, but it does not show the "MF" icon as described above when you are adjusting focus manually while still holding down the shutter button. After adjusting focus manually, further depressing the shutter button on the K-1 does release the shutter.
So my new theory is that Quick Shift is not supported on the K-1 for the much newer HD 24-70 lens but is supported with older lenses in the same period of the K-1's manufacture era.
Again, the best test would be if we have another K-1 user (Mark 1, not Mark 2) who could test this lens for the Quick Shift ability.
12-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #15

That is an excellent question that I hadn't thought about!
I tested my DA* 300mm f/4 on the K-1 and Quick Shift focus DOES work. It shows the cropped framelines, but it does not show the "MF" icon as described above when you are adjusting focus manually while still holding down the shutter button. After adjusting focus manually, further depressing the shutter button on the K-1 does release the shutter.
So my new theory is that Quick Shift is not supported on the K-1 for the much newer HD 24-70 lens but is supported with older lenses in the same period of the K-1's manufacture era.
Again, the best test would be if we have another K-1 user (Mark 1, not Mark 2) who could test this lens for the Quick Shift ability.
Not really pertinent to this thread, but my DA* 55 works differently than my 24-70. With the 55, the camera does not go in to MF mode -- the focus lock indicator stays on and in continuous AF mode, the camera refocuses after I move the focus ring. The shutter does fire.