Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #1

Back focus correction

Hello, trying to check the correct focal point on my K-70 paired with Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art. I have a tool to do this. My question is : do I use 30mm or 45mm (cropped sensor) distance from camera's sensor to the tool. Wanted to know if the lens is not back or front focusing. Thank you.

Last edited by Richard Cichon; 12-14-2022 at 08:45 AM.
12-14-2022, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The focal length is 30mm so you use 30mm. For a 45mm focal length you use 45mm and so on... Focal length does not change.
12-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
The focal length is 30mm so you use 30mm. For a 45mm focal length you use 45mm and so on... Focal length does not change.
Thank you 😊

---------- Post added 12-14-22 at 10:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
The lens is 30mm but with that 1.5 cropped sensor factor it makes 45mm. So you say I'm still going with 30mm, right ?
12-14-2022, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Cichon Quote
The lens is 30mm but with that 1.5 cropped sensor factor it makes 45mm. So you say I'm still going with 30mm, right ?
30mm is 30mm … crop factors are sales pitch … it's only the coverage that changes, not the focal length.
Crop factors may have had some relevance 20 years ago when people were moving over from 35mm film (full frame) and they wanted to know what usage they might expect from their existing lenses … these days they're just bigger numbers used by salesmen to make their product seem better than the competition

12-14-2022, 12:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
30mm is 30mm … crop factors are sales pitch … it's only the coverage that changes, not the focal length.
Crop factors may have had some relevance 20 years ago when people were moving over from 35mm film (full frame) and they wanted to know what usage they might expect from their existing lenses … these days they're just bigger numbers used by salesmen to make their product seem better than the competition
Thank you 😊
12-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, because the crop does not make the focal length 45, the focal length is and remains 30mm.
12-14-2022, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have had the correct advice above, but if I can elaborate it may help your understanding.

The focal length of a lens is a physical property of the lens. It describes the distance between the optical centre of the lens and the plane of the sensor. As long as you are using it on a format/mount for which it was intended (ie without teleconverter or mount converter), that cannot change.

The image magnification the lens produces at the sensor is identical for both aps-c and FF. So for the purposes you need the FL for ( AF adjustment), you need to input the FL of the lens which will always be 30mm in this case

12-22-2022, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You have had the correct advice above, but if I can elaborate it may help your understanding.

The focal length of a lens is a physical property of the lens. It describes the distance between the optical centre of the lens and the plane of the sensor. As long as you are using it on a format/mount for which it was intended (ie without teleconverter or mount converter), that cannot change.

The image magnification the lens produces at the sensor is identical for both aps-c and FF. So for the purposes you need the FL for ( AF adjustment), you need to input the FL of the lens which will always be 30mm in this case
Thank you 😊